Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-22, 06:19 PM
dphilips

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
Since swapping tires on my XOXO from 1.8s + fenders to 2.2s it's been seeing more dirt use. It's a really great mixed surface bike;I knew that before but the tire change really brings that to the foreground.

So I've made a few more changes to embrace that - changing the crank from 34/48 to a 30/46 (VO 50.4 crankset), and the 32t cassette for a 34t (still 7 speed). The RD was changed to a silver Altus RD-M310, mostly because it's silver but also because it tucks up a bit higher than the Acera I had on there.

I changed the Shimano indexed DT shifters for some used Rivendell Silver DT shifters - no more "clunk" on rear shifts, just smooth and silent (when I get it right).

An old Avocet touring saddle, found on a Motobecane Nomade that was being trashed, has so far turned out to be a good fit on this bike but I'll need more miles on it to know for sure.

The Carradice Barley saddle bag was moved to my townie and replaced with a handlebar bag of similar capacity - freeing up the saddle and making it easy to shift weight over the rear tire on trail downhills (important with the steep angles on this bike).

Likes For dphilips:
Old 10-17-22, 08:01 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
did a metric century on the trumpster today. should have did a real century as it was such a nice day.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 10-26-22, 12:09 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
No word yet.

Biding my time…

Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 10-26-22, 01:35 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
Biding my time…

I have been switching back and forth between the RTP's, the 1.75" paselas and 1.5 panaracer tservs. I have about 2000 miles on the bike and switch tires every couple hundred miles or so and I gotta say if I could only run one set it would probably be the Tservs. If I had to do it over I would probably order the 1.8 rene herse tires instead if the rtp's. one thing you are going to want to do is get an internal cammed skewer like a shimano xt as the ones they come with allowed the rear wheel to slip in the drop outs no matter how tight they were. it has not happened since using an xt skewer. I was hoping to get a 100 miler in before the weather got too cold but not sure if that will happen now as it got cold and wet here in a hurry.
Old 10-26-22, 05:39 PM
streetsurfer

Hey! I appreciate your feedback about the tires. I’ve got an antelope (1.8”) coming for the front, thinking I’d try a mixed set.

Earlier on, I grabbed a set of hex head skewers for this bike. Having switched over to them on others, I have their q/r levers of the closed sort on hand. Thanks for the heads up on those.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 10-26-22 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-07-22, 03:31 PM
jadmt

~2000 miles and the Box two chain was already worn out. Chain was cleaned and lubed every 100 miles or so and never in mud or wet conditions. Hopefully the Shimano XT chain will last a bit longer.
Old 11-07-22, 05:25 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I'd call about 2000 miles acceptable for a chain's lifespan.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 11-09-22, 09:02 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Just curious, were there any other brands or lineups that combined 26" (559) wheelsize with road-ish geometry?
Old 11-09-22, 12:51 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
Just curious, were there any other brands or lineups that combined 26" (559) wheelsize with road-ish geometry?
Besides the XO and XOXO, some brands used 26" wheels for their small frames. Rivendell Atlantis, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and the super expensive Rene Herse steel 80th anniversary bikes come to mind.
Old 11-09-22, 12:57 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
I think this is one of the things that made Grant Petersen stand out at the time, and why he is considered so influential. Not many examples out there, certainly not previous to the XO bikes.
Old 11-15-22, 05:33 PM
jadmt

Either the crank or bottom bracket has shifted. There never was much clearance but now there is zero between the chain stay and chain ring. Handsome says they have not seen that before and one set up like mine in their shop is close but not nicking the paint.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-15-22, 06:27 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Either the crank or bottom bracket has shifted. There never was much clearance but now there is zero between the chain stay and chain ring. Handsome says they have not seen that before and one set up like mine in their shop is close but not nicking the paint.
Did you tighten the crank down before this happened? Have you checked to see if the non drive side crank has moved further away from the chainstay?
Old 11-15-22, 06:48 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by beicster
Did you tighten the crank down before this happened? Have you checked to see if the non drive side crank has moved further away from the chainstay?
No and non drive side has more clearance but don't know if it always has been that way. I just installed a new chain and noticed there was no gap at the stay
Old 11-16-22, 07:46 AM
beicster 

No and non drive side has more clearance but don't know if it always has been that way. I just installed a new chain and noticed there was no gap at the stay
Is there any extra drag when you spin the crank? I can't imagine that the bottom bracket spindle could shift without there being an issue with drag. I would probably tap on the non drive side crank with a rubber mallet where it attaches to the bottom bracket to see if it shifts any. Also, does it rub on the full circumference of the chain ring or just in a spot? Could you have bent the ring?
Old 11-16-22, 11:46 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by beicster
Is there any extra drag when you spin the crank? I can't imagine that the bottom bracket spindle could shift without there being an issue with drag. I would probably tap on the non drive side crank with a rubber mallet where it attaches to the bottom bracket to see if it shifts any. Also, does it rub on the full circumference of the chain ring or just in a spot? Could you have bent the ring?
it is all the way around, it is a narrow wide chainring and every fat tooth rubs, the chainring is not bent. Handsome is sending a new bb and crankset and i will send the old ones back.
Old 11-16-22, 12:14 PM
beicster 

it is all the way around, it is a narrow wide chainring and every fat tooth rubs, the chainring is not bent. Handsome is sending a new bb and crankset and i will send the old ones back.
I am glad they are making good on it. Let us know what it looks like when you take the old one out.
Old 11-23-22, 05:59 PM
jadmt

Handsome sent a new crank and bb and looks much better.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-27-22, 04:23 PM
heytchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Handsome sent a new crank and bb and looks much better.
that’s pretty good service from them.

sorry I’ve been MIA, I’ve been consumed by a few other bikes and hobbies - MTB and coffee/espresso.
Likes For heytchap:
Old 11-28-22, 09:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Looks like multiple problems on a budget bike that really shouldnt be issues. At least the company was responsive to one of the issues.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-07-22, 12:16 PM
streetsurfer

Laid up…

But here are a few pics to tide us over. Back by spring, this one hopes.

Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 12-07-22, 02:19 PM
jadmt

looks good. how does the bar end mirror work for you? Also is your rear wheel perfectly centered between the chainstays? ie is the rim exactly the same distance from the stays on each side?
Old 12-07-22, 02:27 PM
streetsurfer

A few more with added doo-dads.

Old 12-07-22, 03:26 PM
streetsurfer

Originally Posted by jadmt;[url=tel:22732489
22732489]looks good. how does the bar end mirror work for you? Also is your rear wheel perfectly centered between the chainstays? ie is the rim exactly the same distance from the stays on each side?
Thank you! The mirror works for me. Riding a Paso sort of has a similar position. I placed mirrors below the bars on a can-am I streeted as well.
First glance, a lot of people had wondered then also, if I could see out of it them mounted so low.

Fortunately, my wheel is and has stayed centered but I’ve only 20 or so miles on it so far.

(photo assist by my lovely wife)

I went to these hex head skewers. The kickstand tab stays on the bike between frame and skewer end cap. It shifted once and the wheel went left in front a tad but that has been corrected, the stand dialed in, and a little more torque added. Nothing shifted in my low side fall.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 12-07-22 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 04:08 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
Thank you! The mirror works for me. Riding a Paso sort of has a similar position. I placed mirrors below the bars on a can-am I streeted as well.
First glance, a lot of people had wondered then also, if I could see out of it them mounted so low.

Fortunately, my wheel is and has stayed centered but I’ve only 20 or so miles on it so far.

(photo assist by my lovely wife)

I went to these hex head skewers. The kickstand tab stays on the bike between frame and skewer end cap. It shifted once and the wheel went left in front a tad but that has been corrected, the stand dialed in, and a little more torque added. Nothing shifted in my low side fall.
So I don't mean shifting in the drop outs I mean here? what are these measurements on your bike? thanks.

Old 12-07-22, 05:20 PM
streetsurfer

Sorry, pictures are difficult to show the actual angles or distances, but I’m glad to help. I hope the pics help some. I show the right stay to brake surface as .980”
I show left stay to brake surface as .880”
There is a one-hundred thousandths difference.

If this helps any, my chain line seems
straightest between fourth gear and fifth gear. There is a slight cant to the right at the rear in four
A sight left cant in fifth.

4th

5th

While the wheel shows a bit of left offset by stay to rim measurements where you indicated, I don’t know that it’s not proper, in order to account for the gear cluster and wheel dish or tire to chain clearance. On mine it doesn’t seem to mess with the actual tread being centered.

Eyeing this up now, I wonder if the wider rtp might rub chain in 11.I haven’t looked down at chain alignment while riding yet. I’ll get this on the stand after a follow up and doctors approval to be more active.

These rear alignment issues, and wheel building aren’t areas that I have had to delve into before, but I am eager and willing.

Judging by the tire alone, the center of tread still seems to align with the center of the seat post, the bolt in the chain stay brace, the center of the bolt in the seat stay cross brace/brake hanger, the brake cable housing stop/hanger and the center of roller hanger on the straddle cable.

How large of a difference have you noticed? Iirc you had one set of wheels redone? Do you still have a greater offset than the .100” I’m seeing, or thereabouts?

Seems centered to frame center.

I’m using a tamper marker for two reasons: To show what I’ve gone over so far To monitor for any loosening or shifting.

When more mobile, I’ll check the seat stay distances to rim. What I may be picking up is .050” difference in the cross sections/widths of the two chain stays…the chain sode being seemingly a touch flatter inboard. So take that into account as part of the 1/10” diff here, perhaps.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 12-08-22 at 09:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.