Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tips to make my TRP Spyre/Tiagra disc brake more powerful

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tips to make my TRP Spyre/Tiagra disc brake more powerful

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-22, 10:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
One thing I've seen quoted are suspicions that the caliper mounts are only designed for a certain rotor diameter, as the load on those with growing rotor size and equal caliper increases......
This is backwards. Consider....

Braking involves creating as be torque on the wheel to keep it from rolling. Torque is force x radius, so if we have the braking force at the rim, the force at a caliper half way up would be twice that; 1/3 of the way out would be triple, etc.

So bigger rotors mean more torque with less linear force.

If it fits, and there aren't any other issues, the same caliper acting on a larger rotor will give you more brake, with equal or less strain on the fork.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-01-22, 11:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
One thing I've seen quoted are suspicions that the caliper mounts are only designed for a certain rotor diameter, as the load on those with growing rotor size and equal caliper increases. I don't know how much this would really be an issue, when following along arguments that you have made above already.

(As for me, this is a gravel bike in urban commuting duty with a carbon fork. Max braking load is probably pulling a loaded child trailer and a few grocery panniers, doing emergency braking.)

Either way, it looks reeeeally tight on my fork to fit a 180mm rotor.
What's your frame/caliper interface? (IS mount, post mount, flat mount?)
Old 11-02-22, 02:01 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Thank you. That makes it very easy to follow. Will try that - and as pointed out, on spyres is should even be simpler as both pads actuate.

Also thank you for the Juintech pointer!

I had a similar problem with TRP Spyres and Ultegra levers. Main symptom that I had - the pads were visually "compressing" after contacting the rotor for breaking. Which didn't make any sense for metallic incompressible pads.

Turned out it was a combination of multiple issues that I had to fix before I got a good breaking:
  • True the rotors to allow a closer starting point for both pads
  • Align the breaks in the mount to ensure breaks/pads are absolutely parallel to rotors
  • Set the levers to allow max range, my levers have a dedicated screw for this, not sure about yours
  • Set the correct initial cable tension to have a good range for the barrel adjuster
  • Bring the pads as close as you can with barrel adjuster. My TRP's levers are roughly at 4-5 o'clock. You don't beed it to be at 3 o'clock.
Alligning brakes and truing rotors was the key to stop the "commpession" of the pads/breaks after the initial byte. The rest is a just normal procedure to tune your breaks.
​​​​​

Last edited by alexk_il; 11-02-22 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 05:37 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
What's your frame/caliper interface? (IS mount, post mount, flat mount?)
Post mount (*not* IS-PM adapted; it is direct PM front and rear)
Old 11-02-22, 07:33 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Okay - I said earlier that I'd try a BB7 road from my tandem on this bike. Well, I just did thiscon the rear and: it works better than the Spyre!? Less spring force felt at the lever and much easier to generate more braking power. I can skid the rear wheel without hurting my hands from the hoods...!
That BB7 has standard pads that went through a 20 second bedding in, whereas the Spyres have KoolStop-like fancy pads that made things noticeably better compared to the stock pads, and I made sure to bed them I'm properly.
Interesting - makes this even tricker. BB7? R1? Hydraulic? Oof

These BB7 need to go back onto the tandem, unfortunately.
Old 11-02-22, 07:34 PM
alias5000

... the BB7 have a noticeably shorter lever arm - as if they were designed for Shimano pre-super SLR. And still, better
Old 11-02-22, 08:14 PM
alias5000

@csport: in case you can remember, when you upgraded to the R1, how did the lever feel change? Did you feel less spring resistance in the lever before the pads contacted the lever?
Old 11-02-22, 11:11 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
... the BB7 have a noticeably shorter lever arm - as if they were designed for Shimano pre-super SLR. And still, better
R1's are also designed for a shorter lever pull.

@csport: in case you can remember, when you upgraded to the R1, how did the lever feel change? Did you feel less spring resistance in the lever before the pads contacted the lever?
Hard to tell, it was quite a while ago. Also, I have cross levers which add to the cable friction. I know that I can easily slow down on short steep hills I had problem with TRP Spyres on.
Likes For csport: