Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

tooth implant

Old 07-07-22, 11:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
In case you're about to get a dental implant, ask for one with a "true Morse taper". They have a higher success rate, as they prevent infiltration and bacteria growth that causes bone loss, decay, and possible failure.

I'm going through an implant now, as the dental surgeon explained to me the virtues of the "true Morse taper" design.

The "Morse" in "Morse taper" is named after its inventor, Stephen Morse, a distant cousin of mine.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-07-22, 12:52 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
The same Morse taper that milling machine, lathes and similar machines use? Of course, they work great in metal working machines. That is why they have hung around for so long. Why mess with success?

I'll just add that I have to places in my mouth could use implants but, I'm waiting since they are less visible. It is not just money. I'm holding out for better outcomes.

My dad had implants for 20 years but the bone eventually deteriorated and he had to get new implants/bridge put in. The dentist, proclaimed that they did pretty good lasting 20 years. The one thing is that my dad is a cigar smoker and this may also affect the health of the bone in his mouth.

The dentist and oral surgeon teamed up and performed this procedure again at 94 year old. The new one are not Zirconia though.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-07-22, 02:19 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have no implants in my mouth. But I do have 2 bridges that have been in place since 1984. My dentist, recently retired, told me many times that I must have the world record for life span of that type of bridge, known as a Maryland bridge. I had another bridge that had to be removed due to recession of the gums around the anchor tooth. That tooth is also gone. I have 4 crowns that had to be replaced after 20 plus years. My youngest sister has been going through the process of implants, but one of them failed, so has to be redone. I did not say anything to her, but she is a smoker, and I suspect that could be the cause. I gave those up shortly after having all that dental work done. Velo Mule, I find it amazing that your Dad was able to have that work done at 94.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-07-22, 02:56 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have no implants in my mouth. But I do have 2 bridges that have been in place since 1984. My dentist, recently retired, told me many times that I must have the world record for life span of that type of bridge, known as a Maryland bridge. I had another bridge that had to be removed due to recession of the gums around the anchor tooth. That tooth is also gone. I have 4 crowns that had to be replaced after 20 plus years. My youngest sister has been going through the process of implants, but one of them failed, so has to be redone. I did not say anything to her, but she is a smoker, and I suspect that could be the cause. I gave those up shortly after having all that dental work done. Velo Mule, I find it amazing that your Dad was able to have that work done at 94.
Yes, my family and I think even the Dentist and Oral Surgeon did too. But this is what he wanted based on his prior experience and the fact that he didn't want full dentures. We just went to Outback Steakhouse this past weekend. He had a steak. He eats whatever he wants.

Are Morse tapers also the same tapers that are used for tie rod ends, ball joints and flywheels on small engines? They lock in nice and proper.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-07-22, 10:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Are Morse tapers also the same tapers that are used for tie rod ends, ball joints and flywheels on small engines? They lock in nice and proper.
The same, More tapers are used for lots of things. Originally designed to center stock in place on a lathe.

Stephen Morse also invented and patented the twist drill bit, founded the Morse Tool Company, then was fired by the board. Then he moved to Pittsburgh and started the Morse Elevator Company.

Old 11-15-22, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yesterday was new tooth day. I have my complete smile back & can chew any way I want. woo hoo! for the time being anyway ... hehehe