Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Air Line State Park Trail CT

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Air Line State Park Trail CT

Old 09-23-22, 12:39 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I recently completed two centuries using the Airline North and the SNETT as it is called after Thompson Ct. starting in Hartford and ending in Providence. From the start there are areas that suffer from the drainage ditches being clogged or plowed under by the state or town public works. Usually at the cuts where the water washes out the sand from the gravel or exposes cobblestones the reaction seems to be dump more large gravel where the ditch failed. These sections take a lot of attention to avoid the rocks and I would say that you need at least large tire, I use a Miyata 210 with Kenda Kross 1 3/8" or 37mm knobbies I wouldn't go smaller. There are a lot of washouts on the grade crossings that are technical and a few downed trees. From Putnam to Rt. 146 in Uxbridge Ma. a lot of sand and cobbles and straight up sand make going slow but because of the drought the mud holes are dry as I have seen them. Again if the ditches were cleaned there would be no mud holes. There is a lot of ATV damage and vandalism "watch this doughnut" I rode this route on a MTB and it was more fun where it sucked but 2mph slower than a touring bike. From Hartford to Providence with 50 miles of gravel and 35 miles of paved MUP and 15 miles of on road. I read that the trail in Douglas State Forest is going to be improved and I hope more people will use this system for long rides and get more improvement resources.
Likes For billew:
Old 09-23-22, 01:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by billew
I rode this route on a MTB and it was more fun where it sucked but 2mph slower than a touring bike
I've since switched bikes for these kinds of trail, from my hybrid to a low end 29er style MTB w. 2.25" Riddler tires & just play w/ the pressure depending on conditions. much more enjoyable
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-02-23, 09:17 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
just a friendly update from a central CT native:

the north section past Pomfret is complete
Hello RB1-luvr. So how accurate is TrailLInk here:

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
The Airline is a jewel.
It is indeed. I mainly ride the western part tho.
Old 03-03-23, 07:35 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
far as I know that map is correct, and I misspoke. The newly completed section north of Pomfret I rode does not continue all the way to Thompson, you have to ride the scenic road for a bit. So I should have stated the section north of Pomfret has been extended but is still under construction.

Depending on the current condition of the parts still be worked on, they may be mountain bike-able.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-06-23, 07:13 AM
2metalhips

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
Hello RB1-luvr. So how accurate is TrailLInk here:

It is indeed. I mainly ride the western part tho.
That trail map is accurate, I ride it regularly. At this time of year the conditions may vary depending on weather and type of bike you use. I was there a week ago. Let me know if you have more questions. It also continues into Mass in East Thompson/Douglass Ma as the Trunkline Trail.

Last edited by 2metalhips; 03-06-23 at 07:17 AM.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 03-06-23, 09:59 AM
FrozenBiker 

On my one-and-only time in the Pomfret area, the path headed north seemed more like a horse/atv trail than anything.
But that was in 2017. I had to turn around, then headed south which was fine until Rawson.
Do you guys have any pictures of the North-East? (Putnam/Thompson)

Here is my Pomfret ride: Air Line State Park Trail

But the Salmon River / East Hampton areas appeal to me much more. It is beautiful out there.
And on a hot day, you can jump in the river.

This ride shows the trail conditions in many areas from 2016: Air Line State Park Trail
Less pictures, but a few alternate views in 2015: Air Line State Park Trail
More from 2017: Air Line State Park Trail

Last edited by FrozenBiker; 06-12-23 at 05:19 AM. Reason: updated links
Likes For FrozenBiker:
Old 03-07-23, 06:54 AM
2metalhips

The northbound section from Pomfret Station has been improved since 2017 with 2 new bridges and 2 under passes, but it is not as well finished as southbound. The Thompson section is improved for about 4 miles then gets a bit rougher until East Thompson, then it gets a bit better into Douglass Mass. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you want super smooth then it is probably not for you.
Video of Thompson/Douglass

Last edited by 2metalhips; 03-07-23 at 07:14 AM.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 03-07-23, 10:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by 2metalhips
The northbound section from Pomfret Station has been improved since 2017 with 2 new bridges and 2 under passes, but it is not as well finished as southbound. The Thompson section is improved for about 4 miles then gets a bit rougher until East Thompson, then it gets a bit better into Douglass Mass. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you want super smooth then it is probably not for you.
Video of Thompson/Douglass
excellent!
July = nice dry conditions
Old 06-12-23, 06:03 AM
FrozenBiker 

Another ride on the Air Line trail yesterday, beginning in Willimantic this time. The first six miles were on an incline, then it was mostly downhill to Salmon River. It was nice to be there again, but it felt like time to turn back. It has been decades since I've ridden this many miles, and the "ass bones" were quite painful at the end, and all last night.

NorthEast Bikepath Rides

Likes For FrozenBiker:
Old 06-17-23, 03:01 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Just an update on Airline North. I ran into an archeologist surveying in Pomfret who was mapping the features left by the Railroad. This is the sections between the Pomfret Station and the Quinebaug River where they used really big trap rock to cover it. I told him the only thing left is the drainage ditches really no switches, boxes or telegraph poles are left. I said he should talk up the restoration of the ditches as a feature. The biggest problem is they were compromised when the first tie removal happened. This is why the trail floods in the cuts. I got off the trail at Wright's Crossing and took the road to Putnam. The trade off is quite a bit of climbing instead of chunky, muddy rock garden. It seems not many people involved with fixing these trails understand the drainage and answer every thing with a dump truck full of rocks.Instead of a backhoe to open the ditches. There is a section between Lowell Davis Rd. and Sand Dam Rd in Thompson that has trap rock or large gravel that is a pain to ride on. It is possible to ride from Hartford to Providence with 50 miles of pavement and 50 miles of dirt with only 15 miles on road. I've done several times now. Using the Charter Oak, Hop River, Airline, SNETT and the Blackstone River Greenway. I call it the 50-50 century.
Likes For billew:
Old 06-21-23, 10:54 AM
2metalhips

The section from Pomfret Station to the Quinnebaug river is incomplete, it should get the finished surface in the next 2 years or so including a safe descent to the river.

Did a century on 6/19, Pomfret Station to Hop River trail in Willimantic to Bolton Notch, onto Charter Oak Greenway to Manchester, Cheney trail back to Charter Oak, took spur trail to Rockville 9 miles out and back to Charter Oak/Hop River back up to Bolton Notch back to Willimantic and Airline back to Pomfret. It was a few miles short of 100 so I added a few on the road to bring it up to 100. I used an old style bike computer but if you use a GPS type it may come up short because of tree cover in my experience.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 06-22-23, 12:00 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 2metalhips
The section from Pomfret Station to the Quinnebaug river is incomplete, it should get the finished surface in the next 2 years or so including a safe descent to the river.

Did a century on 6/19, Pomfret Station to Hop River trail in Willimantic to Bolton Notch, onto Charter Oak Greenway to Manchester, Cheney trail back to Charter Oak, took spur trail to Rockville 9 miles out and back to Charter Oak/Hop River back up to Bolton Notch back to Willimantic and Airline back to Pomfret. It was a few miles short of 100 so I added a few on the road to bring it up to 100. I used an old style bike computer but if you use a GPS type it may come up short because of tree cover in my experience.
why are you showing as a "Newbie"? haven't you been on the forum for like, forever?
Old 06-22-23, 05:31 PM
FrozenBiker 

That is a beautiful bridge in Pomfret. Sister & I checked it out last week.

NorthEast Bikepath Rides

Likes For FrozenBiker:
Old 06-23-23, 05:28 AM
2metalhips

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
why are you showing as a "Newbie"? haven't you been on the forum for like, forever?
I have no idea, possibly because I rarely use this forum.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 11-09-23, 09:11 AM
2metalhips

PSA, there is major trail damage/washouts on the section south of Goodwin Forest also on the section approaching Wyndham. Bummer
Likes For 2metalhips: