Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone Commute on a Dutch Style Bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anyone Commute on a Dutch Style Bike?

Old 09-15-19, 01:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
I had that bike, till it was stolen. It was a great bike to ride. Rock solid and easy on hills. Even though it was heavy, you really did not notice it. Photo was from a few weeks before it was stolen.

I also have a gazelle tour populair from the mid 80's and a Hollandia OPA that has been modified and upgraded. If you are mostly concerned about getting from point A to B then a dutch style bike is the best way to do it. Rock solid construction and the ability to haul makes it the SUV of the bike world. Far better than any american made (or made for the american market) bike.
Sorry to hear about the theft. That looks like it was a very useful machine.
Old 09-26-19, 01:59 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Sorry to hear about the theft. That looks like it was a very useful machine.
It was great. Thanks to it's weight (~70 Kg, ~150 lbs) it was unfazed by small dips and bumps in the street. Was easily the best bike I have ever owned. Plan on importing another, but at the lowest end configuration I can, then upgrading as the money is available. I just don't have the $1800+ to import what I want again. If your not really a sporty rider, nor a recreational / weekend rider a dutch bike is worth a look for daily commuting.
Old 10-03-19, 03:14 PM
cloudsofviolet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i currently have a 94-97 specialized globe. great ride but its 35-40 lbs and doesn't do as well as i'd like on hills. i'm getting a bella ciao for my next which will be lighter but still upright. its supposed to be a great commuter.

the cool thing is they make them from ultra lightweight steel tubing - can't remember the exact type of tubing - but with a upright positioning, allowing one to have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-03-19, 03:19 PM
cloudsofviolet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bella ciao, a german company does. they make them with "sportier", relatively speaking geometry but with all (or most) the accoutrements. =)
Old 10-21-19, 03:42 PM
AntonyUp
Rides like the Dutch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dutch commute

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Thousands and thousands of Dutch people do.
Exactly - or millions. They are all sitting up straight, riding all year, yes on relatively flat land, but often against strong wind, and in the rain.
I tried my 30 km commute to work on a similar bike recently - 3 times in fact. Giant Cypress City (Nexus 7), with more "North Road" type handlebars. It was manageable, but I'd prefer 15km. I only tried the return trip once - that was hard! So I'm planning on replacing the straight handlebars on my other bike (Javis Coda Sport) with North Road style, curved round, a bit higher. That way I'll have a lighter bike, with more gears, and still be able to sit up fairly straight.
Old 11-04-22, 09:40 AM
satrain18

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
You can stand up on it, it just feels more comfortable on a steep incline or hanging against the wind.

You can change a bike but not beyond it's basic geometry.
Not with the handlebars pressing up against your chest, (no) thanks to Dutch geometry.