Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

The most under rated thing about bents and trikes

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

The most under rated thing about bents and trikes

Old 10-29-22, 12:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I sure Miss doing this on a Ride.

Old 10-29-22, 09:04 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Yes the best thing I've noticed in riding a recumbent is how nice it is to just pull over to the side and take a nap or read something. I wonder how well a recumbent would fare at like an outdoor concert.

My recumbent is not electrified and imo recumbents stand to gain the most from electrification. I wonder what is the best way to go about it.
I had a local guy put a rear wheel motor on my trike. If you're a bit handy and don't mind zip tying wires, there are some companies that provide kits that include the wheel with motor, battery, controller and wires. Golden Pie, Dillinger, Leeds all come to mind.
Imo the only drawback is a rear flat becomes kind of a pain, so mount a flat-proof tire. There are also kits for mid-drives to go on the crank, and if you do a lot of big climbs, that might be the way to go. installing is a bit more complex than a rear wheel hub motor.
Old 10-29-22, 09:11 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
FLAMES on those bike shorts... How appropriate 10 Wheels!
Old 10-30-22, 10:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
...Although my trike is comfortable for the first 20 miles of a ride, after that I start to stiffen up and hurt a bit. I try to change positions a bit but this is rather limited on a bent,,.
I recently moved to a trike for bad arthritis days and found on longer rides adjustments to the seat angle effective. I also carry a lumbar support pad in the rack bag and slip it in. Need a lot more work in this area but am seeing improvement, things like adjusting seat angle from the seat would be nice.
Old 10-30-22, 12:53 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
One of the best differences I discovered with a trike is how so much of your body can relax because it's no longer working to keep you upright. Also the view; you can look at most anything without straining your neck.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 10-31-22, 07:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
One of the best differences I discovered with a trike is how so much of your body can relax because it's no longer working to keep you upright. Also the view; you can look at most anything without straining your neck.
If you're tensing up to ride, then you're doing it wrong. Admittedly it takes a certain minimal amount of awareness to stay upright on 2 wheels, but I don't notice any difference in effort between 2 or 3 wheels except at extremely slow speeds. The view is the same on both platforms.
Old 10-31-22, 10:22 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If you're tensing up to ride, then you're doing it wrong. Admittedly it takes a certain minimal amount of awareness to stay upright on 2 wheels, but I don't notice any difference in effort between 2 or 3 wheels except at extremely slow speeds. The view is the same on both platforms.
That depends somewhat on the bike. I have two. The Xebec is a traditional Dutch-style and is nimble and stable at all speeds. I no longer ride it because even the light pressure on the handlebars aggravates the arthritis in my wrist. The other is the Buick, a Day 6 model, and its steering geometry gives it horrific wheel flop which gets worse the slower I go, so when I have to gear down to climb I have to struggle to keep it on track. I can seldom ever really relax on it.
Old 10-31-22, 01:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
But at stops, on a trike you stay clipped in, and when the light turn green, you can ride straight off. There is no wobbling around, and being a nuisance to drivers.

The view is NOT the same. And a good percent of the time DF riders stare at their front wheel or the ground.
Old 10-31-22, 02:54 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The best thing is you can take a little nap while you ride. Can't do that on an upwrong
Old 10-31-22, 04:26 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Actually I'd have to say I had a better view on my 2 wheelers, especially of traffic. now i have to find ways to see around vehicles where i used to just easily look over them. And the scenery view is the same as my bike was set for touring/city riding. But as someone who uses their trike as their car on city streets as well as on long recreational rides, that and these easier way to get on Bart with the ride are the only 2 plusses over the trike. And the trike has so. many plusses compared to the 2 wheelers......no foot down at lights (so I actually stop lol), a seat anywhere, zero discomfort on 40+ mile rides, more respect from drivers, etc.
Likes For linberl:
Old 11-02-22, 03:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
But then you have to sit down again.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-25-22, 09:48 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
We are up N for the holiday and I just had a new exciting and fun thing for a desert rat like me, hitting an ice patch on my Expedition!
Old 01-04-23, 04:29 PM
macbobster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I enjoy the beautiful scenery and fresh air of Humboldt County. The most under rated thing about 'bents for me is I can ride 10 to 40 miles and when I'm done nothing hurts!

Scenic Drive, Trinidad CA
Likes For macbobster: