Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Traffic IS TERRIBLE!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Traffic IS TERRIBLE!

Old 10-17-22, 07:44 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
On a serious note, this is a touchy bunch, eh? "Luddite" is somehow the worst insult ever. Maybe they are thrown off by "kvetching."
Keep in mind that this discussion started first in Classic & Vintage, where "luddite" is frequently thrown around regarding many of us who refuse to accept modernization (along with "retrogrouch"). It's often a term used in jest. Sometimes less so when that forum turns into the lugged steel and friction shifting version of the 41; equity in cycling be dammed.

I find "kvetching" no different than "meshugana." Both are much more lightweight insults than what's commonly used in English. Neither is "kvetching" censored by the forum. The more popular - and generally outright disrespectful - "*****ing" is.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-17-22 at 08:46 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-17-22, 09:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I've been riding a lot recently and I have come away with the distinct impression things have changed.

Automobile drivers are noticeably less respectful of the vehicle code, "the rules of the road". Also, they are less respectful of other drivers, exhibiting behaviors that almost qualify as "predatory" - lane changes, passing on the right, accelerating from a red light,....

The other thing is, there seems to be a LOT of traffic, lots of cars on the road at all times of day.

I mean all of this in an absolute sense, not just relative to the reduced levels seen during the pandemic shut down.

One more thing I'm seeing is an ever-increasing number of ebikes. They are everywhere, all the time. People (kids and adults) are riding them at ever increasing speeds. They have morphed into and are driven like electric motorcycles not electically-assisted bicycles, yet they occupy the bike lanes and bike paths and are entirely disrespectful of the rules of the road. Oddly, these have added to the number of vehicles on the road, not reduced the number of cars.

Taken together, bike riding, especially at peak traffic times, feels distinctly more hazardous and a bit less fun. THAT is a BAD thing!

Thoughts, anyone?
It depends on where you ride. I for instance never ride main streets or arterials. I always ride a parallel street one block over, or a MUP.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-21-23, 09:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

Some of us don't take kindly to those who insist on dragging the ugly, politicized facets of cycling into the joyous hobby side - that's half of the reason the A&S subforum exists, to keep a friendly separation of the two.

-Kurt
Word up.

I shoulda stayed in C&V for my own good. Live and learn...

Flip side, folks

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-22-23, 07:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It depends on where you ride. I for instance never ride main streets or arterials. I always ride a parallel street one block over, or a MUP.
Same here. If I were in a rush, I'd own a motorcycle.
Old 09-06-23, 01:10 PM
HectorStorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
People for the most part just seems to hate bicycles and cyclists. Just seeing their comments wishing death on cyclists online is bad enough until you realise these types of people are often passing you in a car.

On my last ride I was stopped in a traffic jam, and the woman in the car behind me yelled at ME for stopping even though it was cars infront that stopped me. I mean, what? In fact, almost every time I get honked or shouted at, it's somebody trying to intimidate for fun or out of ignorance, when I'm just cycling along out of their way and they can easily overtake. Drivers don't care what the reason is either, if you're on a bike, you are fair game to be bullied and yelled/honked at.
Likes For HectorStorm:
Old 09-07-23, 07:49 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by HectorStorm
People for the most part just seems to hate bicycles and cyclists...if you're on a bike, you are fair game to be bullied and yelled/honked at.
I started cycling in a busy city grid at 15yo and continued into my 60s. In the early years I owned cars and motorcycles but preferred cycling because I basically never had to stop (even at red lights and stop signs) and no traffic jam was ever going to slow me down much. I guess I "hardened up" to the mean old motorists but mostly letting out a devilish laugh time and again as I left those trapped, idling heaps in my dust. I guess in those years when I had motor vehicles at hand that I realized the nobody was MAKING me ride my bike into "harms way". The choice was mine. So pretty quickly I started taking all the motorist's BS in stride to the point that two minutes after any confrontation I just forgot about it. I learned how to ride to minimize cars overtaking me and was never too proud to bail to some quiet side streets when my nerves got frazzled.

I guess the key to happiness while cycling around traffic boils down to EXPECTATIONS. When I push off on my bike my expectations are very low - I fully EXPECT to be disrespected by mean people and overlooked by distracted drivers. If I were to roll out with expectations that motorists should do what they are SUPPOSED to do, along with being alert, respectful and nice, I would be a miserable SOB or just DEAD by now.

Yes, I am "fair game" by my own choice. I alter my routes and techniques to suit the situation but also chose NOT TO RIDE at certain times and places. I'm certain this eliminates a lot of potential angst aimed at me.