Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT Flat Bar Upgrades

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 05:41 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Have had this bike for years and converted it to a flat bar when I first got it (used). Over the last couple of years I've been making some upgrades in the hope that the bike would be more comfortable and appealing to me, and that I'd then use it more (and resist/avoid the whole e-bike trend). I started with the wheels and tires, adding tubeless and bumping the tire size up from 28s to 35s. I then swapped out the cassette and derailleur (and chain), making the bike much more capable of spinning up steep hills. More recently I ditched my way too narrow bar and bar ends and put on a new full-width flat bar, and went with thumb shifters instead of the grip shifts (which were fine, but I was ready for something different).

Here it is with and without the rear rack. It's a great super versatile town bike that I'm now using for store runs and for meeting people out on the town when I might want to have an extra beer without worrying about driving.

Last edited by KeatonR; 10-02-22 at 05:42 PM. Reason: removed outdated sig.
Likes For KeatonR:
Old 10-04-22, 04:00 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Nice conversion. It seems like it is very functional for you.

The LHT is a very versatile bike. Mine is the disk brake version. I've really enjoyed mine and ride it most of the time at the moment. It is getting set up soon for winter riding with studded tires too. Though, I am keeping the drop bars. I am used to them and I have circulation issues in my hands - exacerbated when its cold and I have gloves on - and I need the ability to change my hand positions to spend much time on the bike.

Originally Posted by KeatonR
It's a great super versatile town bike that I'm now using for store runs and for meeting people out on the town when I might want to have an extra beer without worrying about driving.
Just FYI you can get a DUI/OUI on a bike too, as well as a push scooter and everything else. Though, I get your point. Just be responsible.
Old 10-07-22, 08:38 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO

Just FYI you can get a DUI/OUI on a bike too, as well as a push scooter and everything else. Though, I get your point. Just be responsible.
I know. I think that's the lamest thing ever. I mean, you drive a car under the influence and there is a real and measurable increase in the risk that you will do harm to others. You ride your bike under the influence and for the most part the increased risk is to yourself, not to others. Still, I think it is the more responsible option (with, I suppose, Uber, walking, or the bus being the most responsible options). But I'd rather ride my bike (and do no harm).
Old 10-07-22, 09:44 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Nice bike, nice color. Maybe I will find something similar on the fly. By the time I do I will be to damn old to ride it.