Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Vegan double toe straps

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Vegan double toe straps

Old 11-19-22, 12:14 PM
josh672@l
Aluminum Ally

Bikes: 6ku urban track, fixed gear, wabi sub-15's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Vegan double toe straps

Seems that all synthetic leather toe straps out of production: wellgo, vp, dimension. Some sites market their straps as vegan when they are not, like the cinelli duos. You think it would be simple to make some laminated double straps, it' just some vinyl between some synthetic leather.

My question is, do you think a wide pedal with some double arm cages and quality nylon straps x2 would hold their shape enough for me to easily get my foot in, or does anyone know of some better options for double strap cages?

Last edited by josh672@l; 11-19-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 04:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2467 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
I've used clipless pedals for road riding since the first Look model came out, but back when I was still working and commuting by bike, I quickly figured out that clips worked better for me in city traffic---and that I got along perfectly well without the straps, since their main utility would have been for racing efforts, such as sprinting. You should at least try riding with clips alone for a while. You might find that the straps are unnecessary.

Of course, you may depend on straps for your riding or may simply prefer the traditional appearance of clips plus straps. I see that Chain Reaction Cycles has Zefal woven nylon straps listed on their website. I used to use those---they're good quality.
Old 11-19-22, 04:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I mean most of the double straps are kind of two single straps with a little bit of material near the buckle end keeping them together. I think with a little sewing and maybe some Cordura or something you could achieve the same effect. The Dimension Pro straps are in stock at QBP and your local shop should be able to get them for you and heck without sewing you might even just be able to use something hot and a piece of flat nylon webbing to put them together if you aren't keen on sewing.

Though if you got some synthetic or non-animal leather you could probably pretty easily make your own with a punch and some Chicago screws. I made some belts out of old tires and tubes in the past using that method. I saw some shoes I would never wear that are made from cactus and have seen stuff from pineapple and other more sustainable materials.

You could also ask https://us.mattandnat.com or https://doshi.shop or one of the other vegan leather shops and see if they might be interested in doing something custom or if they even just have some scraps they would sell you or even just give you. I met the folks at Doshi at a animal rights conference a few years ago and they were really friendly I bet they might be interested at least somewhat. I find it never hurts to ask because it could end up in a really cool space or they say not so much but might have recommendations or might give you a coupon code. That has happened to me a couple times.
Old 12-08-22, 09:50 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
You might ask Carradice to make you some. With their new "animal-friendly" line of bags, they might be interested.
Old 12-09-22, 10:50 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts

No fake leather sandwich but these should work

Last edited by Bianchi pc; 12-09-22 at 10:54 AM.