Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I want to restore a bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I want to restore a bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 05:23 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I want to restore a bike

I've built rat rods and restomods but never restored one to original.
All these beautiful bicycles that have been resprayed and restickered.
I would like to make my Montana Comp look decent instead of faded and crappy. Where do I start?
Old 11-29-22, 05:27 AM
Schweinhund

I know the obvious, disassembly but do I prep it, do I send it off to a remote person for paint, get paint codes and get someone local. Media blast or sand? those are my questions.
Old 11-29-22, 05:52 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
If it were my bike and it had sentimental value to me, I'd probably have the frameset powder-coated.

Start here - https://www.tiger-coatings.com/us-en/shop/

You will need to do some digging to find a powder coater in your area, preferably with a long history and a readily-available CV. They don't need to work with the Tiger Drylac line but they should have a good variety of coating chemistries and colorways available.

I've used these people before, with good results - https://www.facebook.com/kingcoatings/
Old 11-29-22, 06:06 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I've built rat rods and restomods but never restored one to original.
All these beautiful bicycles that have been resprayed and restickered.
I would like to make my Montana Comp look decent instead of faded and crappy. Where do I start?
Step 1: make sure you have a fat wallet.

Seriously - it depends.

If all you plan to do is have the frame refinished with new decals, then put the existing components back on that won't be too bad. And there are many approaches you can take for that, depending on the condition of the existing frame and paint.

But if you're doing a 100% restore to original, including original gear (less consumables, maybe), that might be a very different story. If there have been upgrades to the bike since day 1, finding excellent used or NOS versions of the originals may require serious cash - particularly if the original components were good ones. I recently saw a vintage used XTR hubset go at auction for around $190 on eBay.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-29-22 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-29-22, 06:11 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Potential decal source - https://www.velocals.com/k-1/
Old 11-29-22, 06:44 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Step 1: make sure you have a fat wallet.

Seriously - it depends.

If all you plan to do is have the frame refinished with new decals, then put the existing components back on that won't be too bad. And there are many approaches you can take for that, depending on the condition of the existing frame and paint.

But if you're doing a 100% restore to original, including original gear (less consumables, maybe), that might be a very different story. If there have been upgrades to the bike since day 1, finding excellent used or NOS versions of the originals may require serious cash - particularly if the original components were good ones. I recently saw a vintage used XTR hubset go at auction for around $190 on eBay.

Best of luck.
the bike is 9/10ths original
Seat, tires and bars have been swapped out, but I still have the bars.
The only real problem it has is it sat in a garage window and the paint is faded badly
Old 11-29-22, 06:47 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
For my one bike I had done professionally, I used Franklin Frame in Ohio. Jack did a great job and it was reasonable. I have also had another bike powder coated and bought the decals to put on myself. The one I did myself came out nice but not nearly as nice as the pro painted and clear coated bike.
Old 11-29-22, 06:50 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
The only real problem it has is it sat in a garage window and the paint is faded badly
If the installed components are in good shape, then this might not be too bad.

Dunno if you want to consider the seat a consumable. If not, finding an original seat might (or might not) be costly, depending on what "original" was.

I'll defer to to others with more experience in getting frames refinished on the best approach there. And if any of our resident frame builders happen to offer their opinion on what to do about refinishing (@gugie, @bulgie, others with the requisite expertise), IMO you should consider what they have to say on the subject.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-30-22 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 11-29-22, 08:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
You're asking a lot of the right questions IMO.

And as others have said, you have to decide for yourself on many of the sticking points to get there.

I take a long view on many of mine, being hard and fast on "original and correct" can be costly, time consuming and a project killer without an abundance of both as well as patience, experience and resources, there is always a shortfall somewhere critical.

I usually take a long view and when I get stuck I will go with poetic license and sympathetic workaround, sometimes as a place holder and sometimes as the final direction which can always change when a viable alternative presents itself as often happens.

I always try and use something that could have been in play before, during or even after the appropriate time period if also appropriately applicable.

I often take great inspiration from some things that I see have been "upgraded" despite being wacky, off the wall or just plain bizarre, some of them can provide great folly for a direction that may or may not have actually made sense at the time but were done anyway.
Old 11-29-22, 09:21 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by merziac
I often take great inspiration from some things that I see have been "upgraded" despite being wacky, off the wall or just plain bizarre, some of them can provide great folly for a direction that may or may not have actually made sense at the time but were done anyway.
Thats a restomod for you
I have a 1990 Rockhopper. that's been a work in progress for years.
But I have some original, low mileage bikes too. This is one of those. it's in great shape except it lived in a very sunny garage window for a few years.
The paint is faded and chipped horribly. But no dents or dings. I don't think I need anything but cables and elbow grease and a paint job.

Old 11-29-22, 09:40 PM
Schweinhund

Old 11-29-22, 10:15 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Do you actually like the current colourscheme?
I'd want to see it in person before saying but it is pretty garish.
You might get good results just cutting/polishing it if you do like it.

If you don't like it that much, i'd rec powdercoating a single bold colour rather than restoring it to original. And personally I wouldn't care about having 'correct' decals either.
Powdercoating can be a bad idea on road frames as you can lose sharp lugs and pantoing but with this it makes sense.
Had a good chat the other day with a bike painter i sold some stuff to, his work is pretty beautiful:
https://www.instagram.com/simonbittle/
He got a bit pissed off when i bought up powdercoating lol

Whatever you chose to do will be worth it because it's an awesome bike.

Last edited by Soody; 11-29-22 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-29-22, 10:57 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Agree with the above, I'm not sure if wild 80s/90s colors are considered "patina" yet but this one looks decent enough for a nice refurb as is, like clean it up really nice and everything, but why do paint?
Old 11-29-22, 11:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I want to restore a bike...
It appears you have done restorations before. With bicycles it is to what degree? There is "Refurbished", "Restored", and then this whole other category called "Wall Hanger". I would appear that some on this Forum take all this pretty seriously. All the way down to, did you use OEM cables for replacements. Then there are people like me that with some bikes the only thing original or of period is the frame... Ha

What ever the case it sounds like your in for some fun. Anyone who enjoys putting a Rat Rod together is bound to have a blast getting a favorite bike cleaned up like new.

And yes, that's another category... "Cleaned Up Like New"... fun, Fun, FUN!
Old 11-30-22, 04:36 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by zandoval
It appears you have done restorations before. With bicycles it is to what degree? There is "Refurbished", "Restored", and then this whole other category called "Wall Hanger". I would appear that some on this Forum take all this pretty seriously. All the way down to, did you use OEM cables for replacements. Then there are people like me that with some bikes the only thing original or of period is the frame... Ha

What ever the case it sounds like your in for some fun. Anyone who enjoys putting a Rat Rod together is bound to have a blast getting a favorite bike cleaned up like new.

And yes, that's another category... "Cleaned Up Like New"... fun, Fun, FUN!
I've refurbished many many bikes, never restored one. This one is about the easiest in my collection to accomplish that.
Paint and stickers are my goal along with just cleaning up the rest of it.
I have a couple that only need refurbishing and one of those is coming up next
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-30-22, 04:40 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Soody
Do you actually like the current colourscheme?
I'd want to see it in person before saying but it is pretty garish.
You might get good results just cutting/polishing it if you do like it.

If you don't like it that much, i'd rec powdercoating a single bold colour rather than restoring it to original. And personally I wouldn't care about having 'correct' decals either.
Powdercoating can be a bad idea on road frames as you can lose sharp lugs and pantoing but with this it makes sense.
Had a good chat the other day with a bike painter i sold some stuff to, his work is pretty beautiful:
https://www.instagram.com/simonbittle/
He got a bit pissed off when i bought up powdercoating lol

Whatever you chose to do will be worth it because it's an awesome bike.
I don't like the look of powdercoat, looks thick to me. The paint scheme is why I love that thing. not rare, but def. uncommon