Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your CCM bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your CCM bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 06:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
Glad to see there are other CCM fans. I just picked up a Silver Ghost, and will post pics as soon as it's back from the shop - it was pretty trashed. Coincidentally, it looks like another Silver Ghost frame popped up for $50 on Toronto's Craigslist. It looks like it anyway, but there are no decals except for a 531 decal on the seat-tube. The buyer seems sure, but I seem to remember the Mistral also came with 531 main tubes. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow if you're looking for a Silver Ghost check it out.

CCM produced three models that used the same frame: the Silver Ghost, Mistral and Concorde. The only difference was the color and decals. What color is the frame? The 531 tubes are only plain gauge, while the forks and stays are hi-tensile steel. Dropouts for most years were stamped. They were lower, mid-range fames. The lugs on the early ones leave at lot to be desired aesthetically. Some of the workmanship from that era falls into the same category.
Old 09-24-07, 06:36 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by thebikeguy
CCMs?Now your talking MY language.The Flyte is kinda the holy grail of CCM collecting.It was only built for 3 years and was quite expensive at the time(you could buy a good used Model T for the same price)....
I guess it's all relative, but I wouldn't consider the Flyte an expensive bicycle. It was only about 10% more than the Motorbike or Standard Sport models. Even if you look at CCM's stripped to the bar bones adult model, the Flyte was only 50% more expensive.

The Flyte has become expensive only in the modern era, where it's uniqueness brings prices that are tenfold to a hundredfold what it's CCM brethen from the era can command.
Old 09-24-07, 07:55 AM
moki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not mine. This belongs to to Bicycle Specialties in T.O. They also have a coupla ccm track bikes from the 50s, and g*d knows what else.

Old 09-24-07, 11:53 AM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I guess it's all relative, but I wouldn't consider the Flyte an expensive bicycle. It was only about 10% more than the Motorbike or Standard Sport models. Even if you look at CCM's stripped to the bar bones adult model, the Flyte was only 50% more expensive.

The Flyte has become expensive only in the modern era, where it's uniqueness brings prices that are tenfold to a hundredfold what it's CCM brethen from the era can command.
Don't forget that it was marketed in the height of the Depression when people couldn't afford a new bike.Let alone the top model.It was only the well-to-do that could afford something like the Flyte.Poor sales are what contributed to it's demise.

Last edited by thebikeguy; 09-24-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 12:02 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "silver ghost" on craigslist is silver, and a half chrome fork, actually here is the listing:
https://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/428190673.html

The seat tube lug looks really nice, no close up of the head tube lug work. I didn't realize it was only the main tubes were 531 on these bikes, and hi-tensile stays, thats rather dissapointing to here. T-Mar, do you know anything about the tour de canada? I remember reading about it in a old bicycle book, was that one full 531?
Old 09-24-07, 01:19 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by divineAndbright
The "silver ghost" on craigslist is silver, and a half chrome fork, actually here is the listing:
https://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/428190673.html

The seat tube lug looks really nice, no close up of the head tube lug work. I didn't realize it was only the main tubes were 531 on these bikes, and hi-tensile stays, thats rather dissapointing to here. T-Mar, do you know anything about the tour de canada? I remember reading about it in a old bicycle book, was that one full 531?
Yes, that is a Silver Ghost, specifically a 1977 model. The seat lug is not so nice. Look closely and you'll see that it is just a standard square cut lug on the bottom. The head lugs look nice for the actual head tube, but the top tube and down tube portions look just like the seat lug - half finished.

The Tour Du Canada came in two very different versions. One was an entry level model of hi-tensile steel and the other a top of the line model with Reynolds 531 DB. I've got one of the latter, which I've owned for 23 years.
Old 09-24-07, 01:50 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by thebikeguy
Don't forget that it was marketed in the height of the Depression when people couldn't afford food.Let alone the top model bicycle.10% more was a big deal then(50% more would be unheard of).It was only the well-to-do that could afford something like the Flyte.Poor sales are what contributed to the demise of the Flyte.
Well, first off the Flyte was manufactured for 5 years, not 3. As for it being manufactured during the depression, that was an aid, not a hindrance. People couldn't afford cars and bicycles sales were up. The first year of Flyte production saw bicycle production in Canada increase by 30% over the previous best year. And production climbed steadily during the remaining 4 fours that the Flyte was available. The fact that Flytes didn't sell during this period is not so curious. I know a lot of people attribute it to the cost, but CCM were selling racers which were 60% more expensive than a Motorbike, a lot more expensive than the Flyte. So, bicycles sales were good and more expensive models were selling. That leaves the design, which was probably too radical for the marketplace. Had they simply streamlined a Motorbike without incorporating the cushioned stays and forks, it likely would have sold well, despite the price increase. It did for Schwinn and other US companies.
Old 09-24-07, 11:55 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Monday is my night to run the co-op so took to checking out an Eaton's Glider we have there which is a re-branded Raleigh and another slice of Canadian bike history.

It has 28 inch wheels on a Perry coaster hub with a threaded cog and lockring and an oiled bb... the oddest part of the bike is the back curving front fork. It also has a 3 piece bb with no identifying marks on the crank and is a little scruffy but will be worth the effort to bring her back to her former glory.

The oiled bb and paintable rims lead me to think this is a pretty old bike and after I finish restoring a lady's Raleigh rod brake roadster I'll probably tackle the Glider.
Old 09-27-07, 11:04 AM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CCM reissued the Mustang in 1999 to celebrate their 100th anniversary.They were distributed by CanadianTire outlets and they were sold for$99. I just HAD to have one of them.I modified it with a vintage back tire,seat/sissy bar,and chainring.I put a set of 24"mtn bike forks on it to give it a little more rake/length.The frame is quite a bit smaller than the originals(look at the length of THAT seat post!)The bike is as strong as the originals but the 3speed hub is a POS.First gear went south and now second is going.Gonna swap in a Sturmey hub.The bike is STILL a lot of fun(even at my age-47 years young)

CCM TRIVIA- Did you know that Vincent Massey(Canada's Governor General from 1952 to 1959)and Raymond Massey(actor)were brothers and great grandsons of Daniel Massey(of Massey-Harris)?

Last edited by thebikeguy; 09-30-07 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For thebikeguy:
Old 06-03-08, 10:08 AM
squirtsdad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem in SOCAL

Hey BikeGuy,

I would like to say Hello, and Im new to this forum, I recently came across a CCM tandem, and of all places here in Newport Beach, CA, I did buy it, but honestly I didnt know what I had, and what CCM stood for til recently, and after I had repainted it. It was a true rust bucket!! I would like to know more about this bike, I did find the serial number D244715 on the front seat tube down by the crank. An exact year would be helpful. I do have some pics of it before and after, my 8 year old daughter and I just enjoy to ride it.
Old 06-03-08, 10:41 AM
oldy57

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few CCM bikes mostly older bikes. This one is a CCM made Garry sold by the Ashdown company.

The second is a CCM made Pastime. I am not sure who sold these. No serial number on it.

This one is a CCM Cleveland. It was found in the garbage dump by my neighbor who cleaned it up and painted it. I bought it last weekend for $10. It is a 1937 but has the Hercules 1926 stamped hub. It must have been made before the 1937 was used. In the background is a CCM balloon tire bike wih junk wheels for the garden. The wheel on the left belongs to a ladies Garry.

This one is a CCM Massey. 1938

Old 06-03-08, 10:43 AM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Squirtsdad.Welcome to the best forum.Based on the serial number it was built in 1971.The CCM Tandem is fairly heavy bike but alot of fun.Does yours have the "blade forks"?I swapped in a conventional set of forks because I didn't like the flex in the originals.I find it handles better this way.
Pics are ALWAYS nice
Old 06-03-08, 11:42 AM
squirtsdad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Its nice to know the age, the original forks were already replaced before I got the bike, there was a Tange style on it. I will try to get some pics of it soon, Thanks again
Old 06-03-08, 12:26 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I see my pics vanished when I switched to another server so here they are again...

The 1940 CCM "Path" bike... not too much is original except the frame.

The 1933... I would really like to have it re-painted and ready for Canada Day.

Old 06-03-08, 12:37 PM
moki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1939 (or thereabouts) Flyer

Old 06-03-08, 12:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

moki - g'dang that Flyer is sweet.
Old 06-03-08, 07:20 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
moki - g'dang that Flyer is sweet.

Except it's not a Flyer but the next down Road Racer model.
Old 06-08-08, 11:24 AM
squirtsdad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the tandem I found in newport, its currently far from being original, most of the original parts were so far gone that I really didnt want to try an use them. It took some time to get it this far, the trailer I built from scratch. I will get some before pics soon.
Old 06-08-08, 12:24 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mine

These are some I had and have.

this is a nice one, it went to a very good

This is a rusty old Elan

Old 06-10-08, 04:15 PM
oldy57

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1939 CCM ladies bike. It had a repaint at one time. It looks great with the paint.
Old 09-14-08, 06:35 PM
VintageRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it happened, I'd be first in line for a season pass to any said CCM Museum!

My luck seems to bring me across more Raleighs (which I also like), but CCM's are where my true interest lies. I just sold a 60's Galaxie 3 speed, but what I ride around our property is a 60's Grand Touring 3 speed... it's a nice green. I paid too much for it but that's ok because it fits me perfectly. I'll post pictures when I get some...

I've always thought that it's too bad CCM didn't embrace Rust-Proofing a little bit more seriously- given this IS Canada! I've come across too many with that horrid speckle on the frame...
Old 09-14-08, 07:10 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Gotta keep things updated and keep this thread alive... I built up some new wheels on 27 inch Araya rims for the path bike and used an old Perry hub for the rear.

Had a fellow come in the other day with an ancient CCM frame with a "CCM Massey" band... I can let him know that within this thread there is a picture of his bike in a complete condition.

A CCM museum would be a wonderful thing to have as would any more information we can get on these much beloved bikes.

Oh yeah... I found a nearly complete CCM Mustang too.
Old 09-14-08, 08:43 PM
sfclearwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is CCM Cruiser I just sold, and an Eaton's Glider I fixed up for a friend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0375 (Large).jpg (103.4 KB, 448 views)
sfclearwater_green_glider_2.jpg (101.5 KB, 453 views)
Old 12-13-08, 10:52 AM
beast775

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new to forum hope this is where i post/

hello my name is mark.grew up riding a 30s colson in the 70s,and have been in awe of old bicycles ever since!i recently purchased a not sure of the year but early 1900s massey silver ribbon.mostly untouched.i will clean this and keep original.i have been waiting along time for such a bike.i had the fork trued,what a nice colour this bike was dark marroon?heres a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg (78.5 KB, 461 views)
GetAttachment.aspx2.jpeg (29.9 KB, 427 views)
GetAttachment.aspx3.jpeg (38.6 KB, 433 views)
massey 003.jpg (56.6 KB, 437 views)
massey 004.jpg (34.4 KB, 437 views)
massey 011.jpg (46.9 KB, 439 views)
massey 006.jpg (57.6 KB, 446 views)
massey 008.jpg (35.1 KB, 442 views)
massey 002.jpg (36.6 KB, 439 views)
Old 12-13-08, 11:17 AM
beast775

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ow ya a 1969 elan.very good shape

1969 elan sport-this bike was in a closet for 20 years,haha ....i was told.not a speck of rust.rides a little quirky but im glad it had all original equipment.shes a beauty!
Attached Images
morebikes 001.jpg (59.8 KB, 480 views)

Last edited by beast775; 12-13-08 at 01:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.