Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Enforcement - How to deal with harassment from people driving cars?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Enforcement - How to deal with harassment from people driving cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 11:53 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Enforcement - How to deal with harassment from people driving cars?Wow.

Since it’s early Sunday morning, I seem to be one of the first to see this post. At least weapons were not specifically mentioned, though implied. ****.

I have posted earlier on this thread about more peaceful evasive actions. Basically, my direct response to harassment is: I must admit though, I am a fan of Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry'" and Charles Bronson "Death Wish" movies.
See, that is what I am talking about. I am talking about self defense if someone tries to endanger me, be it with a veichle, some kind of weapon or whatever it is.

You react like there is something wrong with self defense. What are we supposed to curl up on the sidewalk and wait until somebody either leaves or kills us?

BTw, and you were the first to say so, no weapons needed.I have my own hands and that is enough.
Likes For whitecat:
Old 12-30-19, 10:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
See, that is what I am talking about. I am talking about self defense if someone tries to endanger me, be it with a veichle, some kind of weapon or whatever it is.

You react like there is something wrong with self defense. What are we supposed to curl up on the sidewalk and wait until somebody either leaves or kills us?

BTw, and you were the first to say so, no weapons needed.I have my own hands and that is enough.

OK, Superman. You're actually proposing punching cars?

If someone is actually trying to kill me with their car, I fail to see how my fists are going to be useful. Self-defense in that context can only mean either deadly force or evasion. I'm not carrying the means to defend violently against the driver of a moving vehicle, so evasion is my only rational defense.

Pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about. These may be the stupidest posts I've ever seen.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-30-19, 04:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
The problem is, you are all pretty much sheepish in your responses. Thats may sound derogative but it isnt, it is simply that, for instance - if I am going around minding my own bussiness without attacking or harrasing anyone - I expect the same from others.

Now, if someone is stupid enough to attack me just out of nowhere, I will react violently back - I do not know are they armed or not - so I will proceed with maximum force available to me - in order to break their attack as much as possible in shortest amount of time - so not to give them an opportunity to harm me. I think that is an measured response to someone not knowing me, attacking me on the street. I do not know you, and you attack me, I am going to assume that you want to kill me - and I am going to respond accordingly. That means that the assailant at a minimum wont walk for a long long time, at worst - he is probably going to be dead.

People get hurt or even killed because in most instances they react meekly and inadequate. I, however, think that if somebody is brazen enough to be attacking someone they do not know, putting their health and life under attack, an similar answer is in order. Since I do not know what I am dealing with, I must assume the worst - that they are trying to kill me - and in response I will deal maximum available force back.

I really cannot fathom what is wrong with people to attack cyclists. What, they do not think that some of us also drive cars? So when I am driving my car, they will be all normal, and when I sit on my bike, they will attack me? What is wrong with their brains? Too stupid to think I might sit in my car and then flatten them?
Okay, Rambo. Take a deep breath and calm down.

Note that the thread is decidedly not about motorists "attacking" cyclists. It is about harassment, such as needless honking of horns, yelling, etc. A moment's thought will reveal the logistical problems with your approach: how do you stop the moving vehicle, how do you extract the motorist, what if the motorist is bigger/stronger/more heavily armed than you?

Then there are the legal ramifications, such as the fact that physically assaulting a person, because he honked at you or yelled at you, is called assault and battery and will get you arrested.

Also consider the proportionality of your response. Meeting a horn blast or a shouted insult with physical violence is anti-social behavior. If you really operate this way in the real world, you need professional help, and I'm probably not the first to recommend it. If, as I suspect, you're just an internet blowhard who's trying to overcompensate for other inadequacies, well, then you still need help.

Hypno Toad : Back on-topic. I have no great advice, other than that education and exposure seem to help. When someone honks or yells or just cuts me off, I will - if it's possible - try to talk to the person. I'll ask if I did something wrong, if I was in their way, etc. Usually a motorist will be sheepish. Then I'll try to educate.

The other day, on one of my regular rides, a motorist endangered me without being malicious - he was just in a hurry and inconsiderate. I caught up, we talked, I explained how he could have handled it more safely for both of us, and that was that - a good interaction. It doesn't work often, but sometimes it does.

The key is to educate the local drivers on a larger scale: signage about giving cyclists 3-4 feet clearance (if MN has such a law - many states do), public events, etc.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-30-19 at 04:43 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-30-19, 05:48 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just remember, should you decide to go after a drive you feel has wronged you, that you actually have no idea of their state of mind. As I have said before, that driver may have just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer or fired or had their spouse leave with the kids for someone else. You just don't know. Caution is required. You have zero idea what is happening with that person. Probably wise to just let it go, or, if a crime was committed, allow the people who enforce laws to manage it. They are probably better at dealing with slimeballs than you are, since they do it for a living.
Old 12-31-19, 07:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
I pretty much ignore it now days because this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=road...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 12-31-19, 07:07 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
It amazes me how many posters claim to get harassed on the bike. I myself have gotten far more compliments from passing drivers than any kind of negativity.

I often wonder if these frequent targets are really lousy cyclists who piss off passing drivers, weak looking harassment bait, or just plain ugly.
Old 01-02-20, 06:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
It amazes me how many posters claim to get harassed on the bike. I myself have gotten far more compliments from passing drivers than any kind of negativity.

I often wonder if these frequent targets are really lousy cyclists who piss off passing drivers, weak looking harassment bait, or just plain ugly.

I'll pass on the trolling, thanks.

I ride a lot, over many different roads and paths, and there's places where I could ride for weeks and not encounter a single unpleasant interaction with drivers. There's other places (e.g., Fitchburg, MA) where I can count on at least a few drivers to act like total jerks. Busy tourist areas will also bring out the worst in drivers, who I suspect are trying to handle traffic with a hangover. These are places where I get "ride on the sidewalk" screamed at me, often while I'm actually moving faster than the traffic.

It's a small minority of drivers who do this, but they seem to flock in some places. I think you're congratulating yourself for riding somewhere where there aren't many of the bad apples. Plus, apparently, you just like to insult people.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-02-20, 12:17 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Note that the OP's example of "harassment" was an individual "blasting" his horn at him as well a lot of assumptions about the so-called harasser's evil intentions. The "problem" may be that some individuals seem to have an unusually low threshold for feeling that they are victims of motorists, law officers, or even the general public's harassment. An even bigger problem is if the offended party feels provoked by such alleged harassment into an over reaction that serves no useful purpose.
As a person that rides 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year .... I have a thick skin for stupid people in cars. Honking/yelling gets a wave and/or blowing kisses with big smile and occasionally a loud laugh. That way, when I find out the honking driver is actually a co-working try to say 'hi', I don't have to explain why I gave them the bird.

But some people do have a low threshold for harassment. That's the point of this thread, reference the OP: "I'm interested in this topic from a community advocacy angle. I'm heading up a bike/walk advocacy group in my town and I'm interested to see if there is any success stories about dealing with hostile behavior from people in cars." For clarity, most people ride bikes less frequently and do not feel safe on roads. I'm advocating to make the roads in my town more friendly for the less experienced cyclist.
Old 01-02-20, 01:04 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Education and getting everyone on the same page is crucial. Bike drivers and car riders, on an individual basis, subscribe to the As Far Right As Possible archaic "rule". Others, citing the law that insists bikes are vehicles and bound to the road, take the lane. Ignore-ant car operators (just enough to pass the.test) forgot/don't know/don't care/are told by others, one of the above... maybe even that bikes belong on sidewalks.
Add politicos and "law" enforcement. No one pays attention that two vehicles may not travel side by side in the same lane, nor is it enforced. Instead we have unnecessary 3ft laws (how many car ops can measure by eye, or even have a concept, let alone at speed?), magical painted lines of protection (bike lanes) following archaic and wrong AFRAP (and often partial, between lanes/parking spaces) and that often end/meld into motorized right turn lanes. What bike/motor operator really undestands sharrows, "share the road", or Bicycle Priority Lanes? Additionally, Georgia law is so vague as to be useless, if not dangerous: despite classifying bicycles as vehicles with vehicular responsibilities, they then proscribe AFRAP excepting when the bike operator feels safety is an issue (!). That leads to (if followed) extremely unpredictable behavior, unanticipatable by a defensive motor operator, let alone the pill popping, burger gorging, music blaring, screaming at kids/dogs, phone addicts... on a good day.... (*whew*)

Start with a lawyer, trained in bike traffic law: what does it all mean in theory... and then, in practice.

Next, go to the head of traffic policing: ask the same questions. What are the reporting procedures for harrassment and "accidents"?

Last, approach the local/state politicos. Ask what theit intentions are when they voted for these laws, share your notes from lawyers and police, and help them analyze its effectiveness....

Share all with your biking members. Develop individual, and group, strategies for protection and vehicular cooperation.
Old 01-02-20, 01:16 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Old 01-02-20, 01:47 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'll pass on the trolling, thanks.

I ride a lot, over many different roads and paths, and there's places where I could ride for weeks and not encounter a single unpleasant interaction with drivers. There's other places (e.g., Fitchburg, MA) where I can count on at least a few drivers to act like total jerks. Busy tourist areas will also bring out the worst in drivers, who I suspect are trying to handle traffic with a hangover. These are places where I get "ride on the sidewalk" screamed at me, often while I'm actually moving faster than the traffic.

It's a small minority of drivers who do this, but they seem to flock in some places. I think you're congratulating yourself for riding somewhere where there aren't many of the bad apples. Plus, apparently, you just like to insult people.

Ha ha ha, too sensitive I guess. I guess the funny face touches a nerve with you though most would understand that it is just a silly gesture. Got your chamois bunched up I guess.

But to be honest, I ride the same roads around here than many many cyclists ride. Matter of fact, I have ridden with hundreds of forum members. SEVERAL of which whine on forums about bad drivers and harassment. But to be honest, after having been along on rides with them, I see why they are being harassed on the roads.

So in my experience, there are a whole lot of cyclists that think they are good safe cyclists who do things on the road that encourage harassment. So maybe, just maybe, you could be one of those and you just don't know it.

As far as the funny faces, lighten up man, your're to tight.

I bet most people who get harassed do things that constitute a honk or shout but don't even know it. I've ridden with people who are like this and chose to avoid them. Probably why I don't get harassed on the road riding the very same roads.

I've ridden all over So Calif, Arizona, Mexico and never been harassed. Sorry if you attract trouble but I ride the same roads as many cyclists who constantly whine about harassment, on the same roads, but for some strange reason, I don't get harassed, HMMM!

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 01-02-20 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 02:21 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

I bet most people who get harassed do things that constitute a honk or shout but don't even know it. I've ridden with people who are like this and chose to avoid them. Probably why I don't get harassed on the road riding the very same roads.
Really, like what? Please help us all out with your wisdom.
Old 01-02-20, 02:25 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Really, like what? Please help us all out with your wisdom.

Yeah , no problem. I have been on forum rides with members who complain about harassment but yet continue to cut off cars in traffic, blow through stop signs at good speeds, continue straight from the right side of a right turn lane clearly marked.

These people get honked at then a few seconds later complain that some idiot was harassing them by honking at them.

OK, now go ahead and deny this happens.
Old 01-02-20, 03:09 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Yeah , no problem. I have been on forum rides with members who complain about harassment but yet continue to cut off cars in traffic, blow through stop signs at good speeds, continue straight from the right side of a right turn lane clearly marked.

These people get honked at then a few seconds later complain that some idiot was harassing them by honking at them.

OK, now go ahead and deny this happens.
Nope, no denials. There are people that are poor riders, like there are people that are poor drivers. Like you, I avoid riding with these knuckle-heads.

I avoid all the behaviors you list. I have most often received aggressive honking/shouts/hand gestures for taking the right lane on a 4-lane road without shoulders or bike infrastructure. The story in my OP, I was in the traffic lane to make a left turn.

I've had memorable angry responses from two different employees of my previous city for getting in the the center (thru) lane, since the bike route (shoulder) turns into the right turn only lane. One was an unmarked officer that decided to move on when he saw my GoPro (funny thing, it wasn't working that day); the other was driving a city dump truck and tried using his vehicle to force me out of the lane (that was scary ***** - and one of the reasons I started riding with a GoPro). So based on your behaviors list, you can get harnessed for avoiding the right turn lane to go straight through an intersection.

BTW - I ride with lights, and use hand-signals ... but the 'get off my road' crowd really don't care, they don't like anything in their way.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-02-20, 03:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ha ha ha, too sensitive I guess. I guess the funny face touches a nerve with you though most would understand that it is just a silly gesture. Got your chamois bunched up I guess.

But to be honest, I ride the same roads around here than many many cyclists ride. Matter of fact, I have ridden with hundreds of forum members. SEVERAL of which whine on forums about bad drivers and harassment. But to be honest, after having been along on rides with them, I see why they are being harassed on the roads.

So in my experience, there are a whole lot of cyclists that think they are good safe cyclists who do things on the road that encourage harassment. So maybe, just maybe, you could be one of those and you just don't know it.

As far as the funny faces, lighten up man, your're to tight.

I've ridden all over So Calif, Arizona, Mexico and never been harassed. Sorry if you attract trouble but I ride the same roads as many cyclists who constantly whine about harassment, on the same roads, but for some strange reason, I don't get harassed, HMMM!

Read up on the fundamental attribution error. This post is a great example of it.
Old 01-02-20, 04:01 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Read up on the fundamental attribution error. This post is a great example of it.

I'm not reading anything. I'm posting on a cycling forum. I stated my point and tossed in a little facetious comment at the end in humor. If you're too tight to understand that, then it's your problem. Go read a funny comic strip to lighter up your life man.
Old 01-02-20, 04:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm not reading anything. I'm posting on a cycling forum. I stated my point and tossed in a little facetious comment at the end in humor. If you're too tight to understand that, then it's your problem. Go read a funny comic strip to lighter up your life man.

I love it when people get all nasty to say "lighten up". It's such an obvious case of dish it out, but can't take it.
Old 01-02-20, 04:16 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Nope, no denials. There are people that are poor riders, like there are people that are poor drivers. Like you, I avoid riding with these knuckle-heads.

I avoid all the behaviors you list. I have most often received aggressive honking/shouts/hand gestures for taking the right lane on a 4-lane road without shoulders or bike infrastructure. The story in my OP, I was in the traffic lane to make a left turn.

I've had memorable angry responses from two different employees of my previous city for getting in the the center (thru) lane, since the bike route (shoulder) turns into the right turn only lane. One was an unmarked officer that decided to move on when he saw my GoPro (funny thing, it wasn't working that day); the other was driving a city dump truck and tried using his vehicle to force me out of the lane (that was scary ***** - and one of the reasons I started riding with a GoPro). So based on your behaviors list, you can get harnessed for avoiding the right turn lane to go straight through an intersection.

BTW - I ride with lights, and use hand-signals ... but the 'get off my road' crowd really don't care, they don't like anything in their way.

Ah yes, I guess I could have pointed out that my post was not directed at you personally, or your post.

Just that I read so many, and hear so many in person from other cyclists about harassment while many of them don't realize they bring it on themselves.

So ti was not a personal attack on you or your post, I should have made that clear.

One of the last incidents was a couple of friends on a tandem. We were riding on a very open MUP here in California (not a Central Park type at all). I actually happened to be on a tandem as well. At our stop area, we started to chat. One of the topics he brought up was the unsafe idiot driver. I had never ridden with this guy on the road, only MUP and he is a very fast rider. Been riding for years, not a novice on a beach cruiser. Several centuries and double century rider (Triple Crown in Calif.)

So minutes after he whines about bad drivers, harassment, we head off back down the trail. An underpass where there is a family on beach cruisers causing chaos. Little kids that can't make it up the short steep incline at the bottom dismounting. Of course they don't know how to ride, parents should teach them better BUT, a family, little kids, I DON'T WANT TO KILL ANYONE IN AN ACCIDENT THAT CAN SURELY BE AVOIDED ON A BICYCLE. Yes, I may lose .05 of my average speed on my 40 mile ride if I back off but it is better than killing a 5 year old child.

Anyway, I see the chaos and we back off. We are doing about 21 MPH. This dude does not slow down, too concerned about racing in a race that is not official, just friends having fun.

He rolls down the underpass meaning on the tandem, probably hitting about 25 MPH. Heck no, I backed off but he blew through the small crowd and had to swerve at least 2 times to avoid hitting a kid. WOW!

This was the same guy who just got finished complaining about how cars harass him, don't treat him fairly, and pose a danger to him. I had to stop and think, I think it is more him on a bike than the cars if this is his type of behavior on a bike.

So yeah, didn't mean to attack your post, just tired of the cyclists in general who complain about unsafe drivers when it is pretty clear to me that they have poor safe cycling habits that pretty much warrant a little shot here and there, and/or some honking.

You seem to understand what I mean saying you avoid the knuckleheads so you know what I'm talking about! I do believe there are idiots in cars out there that harass cyclists just to be stupid. But the constant complainers, I think there has to be a reason. Like my bud, he seems to have more than one or two complaints so common sense has to tell me that he has earned some of it along the way.
Old 01-02-20, 04:28 PM
TheDudeIsHere

I love it when people get all nasty to say "lighten up". It's such an obvious case of dish it out, but can't take it.
Ha ha you are so funny! I dished out a little fun with a laughing face and you got your panties into a bunch saying I was insulting.
Old 01-02-20, 05:06 PM
Koyote

Honking/yelling gets a wave and/or blowing kisses with big smile and occasionally a loud laugh.
Ha! Good to know I'm not the only person who blows kisses at the *******s.
Old 01-02-20, 05:37 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Back on topic:

I like to ride the local canyons particularly on early Sunday mornings to avoid motorists. Unfortunately, Speed Racers also like to buzz these canyons as well. About two months ago I was heading up Carbon Canyon Road in a marked bike lane when a racer decided to do a close pass in his newer Corvette. He hit the gas and drove the bike lane line at 100 mph+. I am sure if he clipped me I would be gone and he would have run. I do not get the mentality of some drivers. Every week there are hit-and-run fatalities of cyclists in SoCal. Crazy bat****, evil people who do not give a damn about risking your life for a cheap laugh.

How to deal with it? Rear and front mounted cameras might be useful to get a license plate#. Even this might be futile. My g/f and I were hit by a drunk driver in Buena Park a few years back. She suffered a compression spinal injury. The asshat's front fascia of his Honda and his license plate were left at the crash scene. Because we were hit from the rear and could not ID the driver, law enforcement would not make an arrest.
Old 01-02-20, 06:30 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
As a person that rides 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year .... I have a thick skin for stupid people in cars. Honking/yelling gets a wave and/or blowing kisses with big smile and occasionally a loud laugh.

That way, when I find out the honking driver is actually a co-working try to say 'hi', I don't have to explain why I gave them the bird

But some people do have a low threshold for harassment…For clarity, most people ride bikes less frequently and do not feel safe on roads. I'm advocating to make the roads in my town more friendly for the less experienced cyclist.
I have previously posted to this thread: "
Anyone been honked at lately??"
Originally Posted by aclinjury
it's a good think that drivers honk at you! It's either because they just want to let you know that they're coming, good.

Or if it's pissed off driver, you'll know to move aside.

You can tell the difference in their honk. A friendly toot is a quickie beep. A pissed off honk is a long one. Either way, be grateful that they see you, and "being seen" is probably #1 safety in road cycling.

Honestly, I try make it a habit to just wave at drivers who honk, because I appreciate them not hitting me (however pissed off they may be).

It's the silent drivers that hit and kill. You never are aware where they're coming from most of the time.
…Over the years on my commute I have routinely encountered several people, and I like to give them nicknames …

There was a driver in a windowless white van often approaching in the opposite direction who would give me a friendly toot. This was during the time of the Washington DC sniper who also drove a windowless [white] van, so that driver became the “stalker.”

I eventually met him at a coffee shop I routinely stopped at near my destination... He was very friendly
"People honking at me triggers my RAGE"

A good piece of advice I read on Bike Forums (for commuters at least) is that as you get closer to work, contain your rage, in case it’s a co-worker, or even your boss.
My most frequent response to a honk not readily identifiable as "friendly," is to reach out my hand, palm up, in an exasperated gesture, and say, "WHAT, WHAT, WHAT...?!!".

Not infrequently I realize the honk was not directed towards me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-02-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 07:29 PM
Koyote

I had an interesting interaction today. Last week, a motorist inadvertently put me a little danger...I caught up and had a friendly chat with him about how to safely pass a cyclist. Today the same guy passed me - very broadly, and with a friendly wave. Now I've got one more friend out there.

'Course, if I were whitecat , I would've beaten him senseless during our first interaction, and now I'd be in jail and hence unable to make new friends.
Old 01-02-20, 08:04 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I had an interesting interaction today. Last week, a motorist inadvertently put me a little danger...I caught up and had a friendly chat with him about how to safely pass a cyclist. Today the same guy passed me - very broadly, and with a friendly wave. Now I've got one more friend out there.

'Course, if I were whitecat , I would've beaten him senseless during our first interaction, and now I'd be in jail and hence unable to make new friends.
99% of my interactions with motorists are positive or neutral. I really do not get upset any longer with honking or yelling. It's the intentional or distracted close passes even when in a protected bike lane that is troublesome. Granted, this only happens once in about every 20 hours I am riding. It is normal to go into some kind of Fight, Fright or Flight reaction when your life is endangered.

Glad you had a teachable moment. They are few and far between.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-03-20, 05:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
99% of my interactions with motorists are positive or neutral. I really do not get upset any longer with honking or yelling. It's the intentional or distracted close passes even when in a protected bike lane that is troublesome.

Granted, this only happens once in about every 20 hours I am riding. It is normal to go into some kind of Fight, Fright or Flight reaction when your life is endangered.

Glad you had a teachable moment. They are few and far between.
Recently, I have posted to this thread: “As a Bike Commuter - What kind of video content would you want to see?"; see especially the link to the second video, "Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph":
Originally Posted by Bicycle2Work
Hi Everyone!
I'm a long-time bike commuter who has started a YouTube channel that's about bike commuting. I'm going to initially be making videos for newbies and beginners who are thinking about bike commuting.

Content such as...
  • what type of bike do I need for bike commuting?
  • is bike commuting safe?
  • X Tips for Cleaning Up after Biking to Work
But for you long time commuters...is there any content that you would be genuinely interested in watching that is related to bike commuting? Maybe short interviews of bike commuters and their experience?

Looking for help and suggestions! Thanks.
@Paul Barnard asked this question, “Has A&S Changed Your Behavior?”

So in answer to what I think would be sobering yet important messages to commuters would be videos of dangerous situations such as:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...318-34zr2.html

and
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Terrifying!
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to a quickly upcoming car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-20 at 08:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.