Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure increases 5 lbs in one ride

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Pressure increases 5 lbs in one ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 01:58 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Oh geez's. Just when I'm thinking I might venture into tubeless tire realm you give me another reason not too.

So do you stop every other switch back on the way down to check the rim temps? I admire your dedication to being safe! Though actually I hope it is just in the interest of gathering data to help with the dogma.
No. I bought new tubeless rims with claims and some tests showing that they are better and safer than others. I checked the claims. Why? I had a double blowout thru debris on the road in September breaking 10 bones in the ensuing crash, so, a blowout isn't necessarily a benign event. I normally sit up and let the air cool me down as part of my braking strategy, so, I have never had a problem overheating carbon rims but I wanted to see for myself.
Old 05-30-22, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
No. I bought new tubeless rims with claims and some tests showing that they are better and safer than others. I checked the claims. Why? I had a double blowout thru debris on the road in September breaking 10 bones in the ensuing crash, so, a blowout isn't necessarily a benign event. I normally sit up and let the air cool me down as part of my braking strategy, so, I have never had a problem overheating carbon rims but I wanted to see for myself.
You still aren't helping me want to make that move to tubeless!
Old 05-30-22, 02:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This is why some cyclist that run extreme air pressure have tires fail. They start with extreme pressure, and then hot road ways take the pressure way up.

On a car they say for every 10 degrees increase you get another one pound of pressure.
Old 05-30-22, 02:22 PM
GhostRider62

You still aren't helping me want to make that move to tubeless!
I have hooked tubeless rims and have not had a flat all year.

The biggest issue for me is lack of tires (supply chain) or the puffy prices if you can find them.
Old 05-30-22, 02:36 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
For all of you taking air pressure measurements-
What's the temperature error of the gauge itself?
A bladder type gauge is likely to show higher pressure the warmer the gauge is.
Take a gauge that sits in the glove box of your car. Do you expect the same accuracy in sub freezing temps to 120+ that a car interior can reach?
How many spirits can dance on the head of a pin after lunch vs before?
Old 05-30-22, 03:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Sampling error(s) aside, slight overpressure on hookless rims can be disastrous because the safety margin is much, much lower than crochet rims. I did a mini gage r/r, the error is never upwards. 1-2 psi is lost when measuring. 5 psi difference is well within capability.
I consider 5 psi to be extremely slight. You also have to consider that the pressure fluctuates with impact and/or just pedaling. The impact decrease the volume of the tire which increase the pressure in the tire. If your tire is so sensitive to a 5 psi fluctuation, you probably shouldn’t be riding it anywhere but an extremely smooth surface.

I am not sure why you consider a 2% per 10F increase unlikely. It is common form the differential from inside to outside temp to exceed 20F and the temps on the pavement are much higher still.
It’s not the size of the temperature increase but the impact. A 2% increase is tiny. If you heat a tire from 32°F to 112°F, the total pressure increase is 20 psi. To get a 5 psi increase in pressure, you need to heat the tire 25°F. That’s a lot of heat for a very small pressure change.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-30-22, 05:11 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
For all of you taking air pressure measurements-
What's the temperature error of the gauge itself?
Good point.

Inherent error of the measuring device plus the increase in tire air temp from usage/roadway, I would think 5-7psi or more is to be expected, depending. (Say, inflating and measuring at 70deg, but riding in 85-90deg on a roadway that's ~125deg or more.)

IIRC, for example, the Meiser Accu-Gage line is rated at +/- 3% accuracy, for the gauge itself.
Old 05-30-22, 06:01 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Might want to talk with the NFL and Tom Brady. Actually, the person you should talk with with is Jacques Charles, but he has been dead for a couple hundred years.

Check your car tire pressure after driving it.
Old 05-30-22, 06:11 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I consider 5 psi to be extremely slight. You also have to consider that the pressure fluctuates with impact and/or just pedaling. The impact decrease the volume of the tire which increase the pressure in the tire. If your tire is so sensitive to a 5 psi fluctuation, you probably shouldn’t be riding it anywhere but an extremely smooth surface.

It’s not the size of the temperature increase but the impact. A 2% increase is tiny. If you heat a tire from 32°F to 112°F, the total pressure increase is 20 psi. To get a 5 psi increase in pressure, you need to heat the tire 25°F. That’s a lot of heat for a very small pressure change.
I can see what you are talking about, but I doubt he was taking pressure readings while riding, lol.
Old 05-30-22, 06:15 PM
GhostRider62

It’s not the size of the temperature increase but the impact. A 2% increase is tiny. If you heat a tire froms 32°F to 112°F, the total pressure increase is 20 psi. To get a 5 psi increase in pressure, you need to heat the tire 25°F. That’s a lot of heat for a very small pressure change.
Go listen to Josh's podcast after re-reading what I wrote. You have a very annoying habit of twisting **** around. I was specifically talking about the risk of over-inflating hookless rims , the much smaller safety margin of such a setup AND lastly. I do not have hookless rims.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-30-22, 06:25 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...al-gas-law.php
Old 05-30-22, 06:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
If the OP inflated the tires indoors at 70F and it was sunny (late May in North Carolina if I read his location correctly) the pavement could easily be 10 degrees warmer than the thermometer reads. Now, the OP did not say what his starting pressure was so I am going to presume 80 psi for this calculation. So that's 25 degrees hotter. (25+70+491)/(70+491) X (80+14.7) - 14.7 = 1.045 X 94.7 - 14.7 = 98.9-14.7 = 84.2F or an increase of 4.2psi. (5F with the gauge? 0.8F margin of error? Do we ever see better in this world of bicycles? Oh, my guess of a starting pressure affects the pressure change. A higher starting point would raise the gain. In fact, starting at 100 psi yields 5.1 PSI gain. I could do this backwards and tell you your starting pressure if you promise me that 5 psi gain is good to two decimal places. But, my school days are long past and a better grade gets me nothing so I'll pass.)

For the Perfect Gas Law to work, everything must be absolute; ie measured from zero. The added 491 takes Fahrenheit to zero. The added 14.7psi takes the pressure to zero. It must then be subtracted out of the end result so we see the relative pressure we are used to.

And that 10 degree temperature difference due to the sun on the pavement? Well I just rode 30 miles on my rain bike through two light showers. SUn after both. And both times I got to ride through a low, warm cloud of damp air evaporating off the pavement. While I rode with arm warmers, leg wamers and several tees under my spring/fall jersey.
Old 05-30-22, 07:47 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
How long is a rope?
Old 05-30-22, 08:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I’ve not previously taken tire pressure after a ride. But I just put new Perrelli P-Zeros 700x28. Since it was the first ride I measured tire pressure and found they had both increased 5 LBS.

That is a surprisingly high increase.

how common is that?

zipp 303 wheels
new perrelli p zeros running tubeless
170 lbs rider
85degree air temp
70 mile ride @ 19 mph.
If your starting temperature (the one where you made your initial pressure reading) was about 60°F, and your initial pressure was about 100 psi, this would be expected for an ideal gas (assuming no change in tire volume).
Old 05-30-22, 10:10 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Might want to talk with the NFL and Tom Brady. Actually, the person you should talk with with is Jacques Charles, but he has been dead for a couple hundred years.

Check your car tire pressure after driving it.
Nope. Not Jacques Charles. That gas law relates temperature to volume with a constant pressure. Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac is the one who related pressure and temperature. He also co-discovered boron, discovered that water is made of 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen, and recognized iodine as an element, among other discoveries.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-30-22, 10:33 PM
cyccommute 

Go listen to Josh's podcast after re-reading what I wrote. You have a very annoying habit of twisting **** around. I was specifically talking about the risk of over-inflating hookless rims , the much smaller safety margin of such a setup AND lastly. I do not have hookless rims.
Perhaps you should also reread what I wrote. The effect of temperature on a pressure isn’t nearly as large as people think it is. Hookless rims may have a smaller margin of safety but heating the tire isn’t that much of a concern. Heating a tire over a range of 80°F (32° to 112°) results in a 16psi increase. That’s not much of a pressure increase for a very large temperature change. It takes about a 30°F temperature increase to get a 5 psi increase in pressure.

For rbrides, he is finish temperature was 83°. Did he fill the tires at 53°F? I would still suspect some kind of measurement error over a pressure increase due to temperature change.

But your cautions are a bit of a red herring. rbrides isn’t using a hookless system.

Old 05-30-22, 11:55 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
The effect of temperature on a pressure isn’t nearly as large as people think it is.
I suppose that depends on what a person is thinking. I do know that 40 psi in your car tires at 70 degrees F will mean flat tires at minus 50 degrees. That's more effect than some people would think, I'm pretty sure.
Old 05-31-22, 06:22 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Maybe this should be a poll. How many cyclist check their tire pressure immediately after a ride?

I'm thinking the OP is the only one! But I might be wrong.
Ya got that right!
Likes For rbrides:
Old 05-31-22, 06:27 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Isn't that the true!
Old 05-31-22, 08:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have not read all the replies, so this may already be mentioned, but when doing gas law calculations, keep in mind that what pressure gauges read (and what actually matters) is NOT the pressure inside the tire, but rather the DIFFERENCE between the pressure inside the tire and outside the tire.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-31-22, 08:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
are you also measuring the tire width w/ a caliper before & after?

regardless, that sounds like an impressive ride! how much water did you use?
Old 05-31-22, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Fredo76
I suppose that depends on what a person is thinking. I do know that 40 psi in your car tires at 70 degrees F will mean flat tires at minus 50 degrees. That's more effect than some people would think, I'm pretty sure.
Nope. At -50°F (227K), the pressure would be 30 psi. The tires might go flat because the rubber isn’t flexible anymore and may crack but the pressure wouldn’t be zero. You’d need to condense the air to get to near zero pressure which is -320°F (196°C). The rubber will definitely shatter at that temperature. But notice that the pressure change is only 10 psi.

I’ve done demonstrations with balloons in liquid nitrogen where I can show liquid air (and zero pressure in the balloon). It’s very cool to watch the balloon collapse and a pool of liquid form in the bottom. It’s also very cool to watch the balloon expand as the liquid air boils off.

Old 05-31-22, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have not read all the replies, so this may already be mentioned, but when doing gas law calculations, keep in mind that what pressure gauges read (and what actually matters) is NOT the pressure inside the tire, but rather the DIFFERENCE between the pressure inside the tire and outside the tire.
Not really. There are many different designs for pressure gauges but all of them are sealed systems that measure the pressure in the tire directly. They don’t compare the pressure inside to the pressure outside. Gauges can be calibrated in absolute pressure (i.e. atmospheric pressure included) and “gauge” pressure (i.e. just the pressure in the vessel) which matters for some measurements but for determining the change in pressure with temperature, either would work. Most every bicycle gauge is going to be measure in psig (psi gauge).

Old 05-31-22, 09:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Not really. There are many different designs for pressure gauges but all of them are sealed systems that measure the pressure in the tire directly. They don’t compare the pressure inside to the pressure outside. Gauges can be calibrated in absolute pressure (i.e. atmospheric pressure included) and “gauge” pressure (i.e. just the pressure in the vessel) which matters for some measurements but for determining the change in pressure with temperature, either would work. Most every bicycle gauge is going to be measure in psig (psi gauge).
Every pressure gauge that a consumer uses measures relative pressure. Which it should, because that is what matters.

This is why the pressure you read for a tire will increase when you go higher in altitude.
Old 05-31-22, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Every pressure gauge that a consumer uses measures relative pressure. Which it should, because that is what matters.
It measures relative pressure but that’s not the same as measuring the difference between the pressure outside the tire and the pressure inside the tire. A psia gauge measures the pressure in the vessel compared to a vacuum while a psig gauge measures the pressure compared to a standard atmospheric pressure. But there is no physical comparison of the pressure inside the vessel vs the pressure outside during the measurement.

From the standpoint of the Ideal Gas Law, the absolute pressure is important because that law contains a variable for the amount of gas present. But the Ideal Gas Law is the wrong law to use for determining changes in pressure due to temperature. The Ideal Gas Law is derived from Charles Law (V/T=k), Boyles Law (PV=k), Guy-Lussac’s Law (P/T=k) and Avogadro’s Law (V/n=k), where n is the number of particles of gas). Since the volume and the amount of gas is constant, all that is needed is the relationship between pressure and temperature.

You can get to Guy-Lussac’s Law from the Ideal Gas Law but it’s the long way around.

This is why the pressure you read for a tire will increase when you go higher in altitude.
Partly but it’s mostly because the “gauge” part in psig is calibrated for sea level pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.