Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SPD to SPD-SL for a rec rider

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-18-22, 02:29 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I've ridden SPD for years off road, currently have them on my fixed. Considering going to SL only to get better ventilation in the shoe. My current shoes are meant for off-road, so while they are great for store runs and such they don't breath at all. If i'm looking at new shoes anyway is there any tangible benefit for a recreational rider in going to a SL style pedal?
Old 06-18-22, 02:59 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not really.They will impact your ability to walk to a certain degree.
Old 06-18-22, 03:33 PM
Jheitt

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
yeah that seems to go for both with a more road focused shoe, on the plus side you can get rubber covers for the SL cleats, I haven't seen them for regular SPDs yet,
Old 06-18-22, 03:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
A lot of shoe manufacturers that make SPD-L shoes make the same exact shoe in SPD. Shimano comes to mind. Maybe look at the SPD shoes oriented more towards racing. I have Shimano XC-7 that are pretty light.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-18-22, 03:53 PM
Jheitt

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thats the plan, just always curious about the big cleats!
Old 06-18-22, 04:02 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
There are road shoes that have both bolt patterns on them, so you could even get one of those road shoes and ride them on your SPDs if you want.They are about as fun to walk in as regular road shoes, but the metal cleat (and the fact that you could use them on your fixie as is) is a bonus.

Old 06-18-22, 04:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Why not just get a shoe with better ventilation? There are many shoes out there that come in both road and mountain models that use the same uppers with either a road sole or a mountain sole. Mountain bike shoes are necessarily less ventilated than road shoes and are a whole lot easier to walk in.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-18-22, 04:49 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
As cycco says, lots of spd shoes with good ventilation. I have both spd and spd-sl. While I like both styles, I have come to prefer the spd due to the fact that I get off the bike more than I used to, and steps are usually involved. I have the covers for the sl, though they work well, I either forget to take them, forget to put them on if I have them with me, and the main reason, convenience. I have a pair of the dual use shoes, but the using of spd cleats on shoes without the recessed area, does not work well for me. Another issue, if you try to use both types on the same bike, you have to adjust the saddle height every time the switch is made.

I like the road style spd shoes, like Giro Republic. Also, a couple of the Shimano spd shoes are more for road riding.
Old 06-18-22, 05:07 PM
Jheitt

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
As cycco says, lots of spd shoes with good ventilation. I have both spd and spd-sl. While I like both styles, I have come to prefer the spd due to the fact that I get off the bike more than I used to, and steps are usually involved. I have the covers for the sl, though they work well, I either forget to take them, forget to put them on if I have them with me, and the main reason, convenience. I have a pair of the dual use shoes, but the using of spd cleats on shoes without the recessed area, does not work well for me. Another issue, if you try to use both types on the same bike, you have to adjust the saddle height every time the switch is made.

I like the road style spd shoes, like Giro Republic. Also, a couple of the Shimano spd shoes are more for road riding.
perfect thank you! I dont have any issues running the regular SPD just seems to be less selection in the way of well vented 2 bolt shoes. I do see shimano has a bunch so i'll think i'll stick to the regular SPD and just find a more appropriate shoe.
Likes For Jheitt:
Old 06-18-22, 07:49 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I’ve got a Bontrager shoes running SPDs. Shimano a makes adapter spacers for walking.
Old 06-19-22, 07:53 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
In the heat this time of year in Southern AZ quality SPD sandals, Keens and Shimano SD5, work well for all but the most vigorous rides.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-19-22, 09:48 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
In the heat this time of year in Southern AZ quality SPD sandals, Keens and Shimano SD5, work well for all but the most vigorous rides.
More power to you, but I have a (completely irrational) fear of losing toes with sandals on a bike.
Likes For Ubie:
Old 06-19-22, 10:02 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

That's why we use the Keen sandals, they have toe covers and are much like a mess shoe w/o the mesh.
https://www.rei.com/product/765247/k...e-sandals-mens
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-19-22, 04:26 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
More power to you, but I have a (completely irrational) fear of losing toes with sandals on a bike.
Years ago, I was hitching in Yosemite. Guy picks me up and I noticed a huge wad of bandage on his foot. He was doing the hike/climb of Half Dome in sandals and slipped and ripped his entire big toenail off his toe. I still cringe thinking about it. Yeah, not for me, either.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-20-22, 11:30 PM
easyupbug 

Originally Posted by kahn
Years ago, I was hitching in Yosemite. Guy picks me up and I noticed a huge wad of bandage on his foot. He was doing the hike/climb of Half Dome in sandals and slipped and ripped his entire big toenail off his toe. I still cringe thinking about it. Yeah, not for me, either.
As I said not for vigorous rides, you need to use judgement, and without a doubt the Half Dome is vigorous, from the park service "Today, thousands of people reach the summit. For most, it is an exciting, arduous hike; for a few, it becomes more of an adventure than they wanted. Indeed, park rangers assist hundreds of people on the Half Dome trail every summer. Most of these emergencies could have been prevented... read on to learn how."
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 06-21-22, 08:02 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
As I said not for vigorous rides, you need to use judgement, and without a doubt the Half Dome is vigorous, from the park service "Today, thousands of people reach the summit. For most, it is an exciting, arduous hike; for a few, it becomes more of an adventure than they wanted. Indeed, park rangers assist hundreds of people on the Half Dome trail every summer. Most of these emergencies could have been prevented... read on to learn how."
I have been atop four times. First time as an arduous day hike from the Valley, second time overnight on top (still legal back then) during the Perseus Meteor Shower and twice on extended backpacks - all many years ago.
Old 06-21-22, 10:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
A lot of shoe manufacturers that make SPD-L shoes make the same exact shoe in SPD. Shimano comes to mind. Maybe look at the SPD shoes oriented more towards racing. I have Shimano XC-7 that are pretty light.
Sidi too.