Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Cycling After Hip Replacement?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone Cycling After Hip Replacement?

Old 12-26-19, 03:33 PM
brumby33

Bikes: Vivente World Randoneur (Australian Made)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just about ready for my THR

Originally Posted by Witterings
I had a nasty fall with the right hip taking a large impact in the summer ... whilst it didn't stop me doing anything it was incredibly sore for a long perdiod of time like a bad bruise ... strangely enough I even notice it 2/3 weeks but this thread has just made me realise it's gone ....

In the other hip after 1 1/2 years problem free it suddenly started playing up and for a year was often "uncomfortable" 2 days after a ride, the problems started as my distance increased and I was messing around with saddle height, I've recently lowered my saddle a bit and the last 8 or so rides have been back to trouble free cycling so fingers crossed.
Glad I found this thread....
Hi I'm Dave from Sydney Australia, almost 60 and in the process of preparing myself, mostly mentally for my left hip replacement.
It's mainly from Osteo-arthritis that I'm getting it done and not from bone on bone from sporting wear n tear, more from my job sitting down for up to 12 hour days.
My range of motion is really bad, haven't been able to reach my left foot for 3 years now.
I do love riding my touring bike, mostly commuting to and from work which is really only 2.5 mile each way but it's usually the only exercise I've been able to do as I limp really bad...my workmates started calling me the 'Penguin' as in the one from Batman series. LoL.
I do feel my hip restriction on my bike but as its non weight bearing, it's not real painful when pedalling.
I also carry 2 Ortleib panniers on the back and handlebar bag all the time.
I would like to report in from time to time to tell of my progress if anyone would be interested.
I go in to hospital for operation on Thursday January 16, 2020, about 3 weeks from yesterday...gotta say I'm quite nervous about it as this is the first major operation for me. Yikes
My goal and dream is to eventually get into bike touring.
Hopefully one day touring the Japanese countryside. I want to do some of the USA one day.

cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
Likes For brumby33:
Old 12-27-19, 10:11 AM
YBeecher

Bikes: Cannondale EVO Super-Six

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
THR Coming up Soon

Hi Dave, I have a THR coming up next week in the US. I'm so afraid about the prospect of not being able to ride again, having ridden 4,000 miles this season. The mention of someone having pain in their hip flexors when riding has me scared to death. It's my first major surgery and I'm a wreck. Would like to hear of your progress.

Originally Posted by brumby33
Glad I found this thread....
Hi I'm Dave from Sydney Australia, almost 60 and in the process of preparing myself, mostly mentally for my left hip replacement.
It's mainly from Osteo-arthritis that I'm getting it done and not from bone on bone from sporting wear n tear, more from my job sitting down for up to 12 hour days.
My range of motion is really bad, haven't been able to reach my left foot for 3 years now.
I do love riding my touring bike, mostly commuting to and from work which is really only 2.5 mile each way but it's usually the only exercise I've been able to do as I limp really bad...my workmates started calling me the 'Penguin' as in the one from Batman series. LoL.
I do feel my hip restriction on my bike but as its non weight bearing, it's not real painful when pedalling.
I also carry 2 Ortleib panniers on the back and handlebar bag all the time.
I would like to report in from time to time to tell of my progress if anyone would be interested.
I go in to hospital for operation on Thursday January 16, 2020, about 3 weeks from yesterday...gotta say I'm quite nervous about it as this is the first major operation for me. Yikes
My goal and dream is to eventually get into bike touring.
Hopefully one day touring the Japanese countryside. I want to do some of the USA one day.

cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
Likes For YBeecher:
Old 12-27-19, 10:37 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
My group ride has about 6 riders, including myself, with hip replacements. All have benefited from this surgery and moved on to other age related problems. My biggest benefit ride wise is that I no longer get a sore on my right sit bone. I still have some numbness down the outside of my right hip, but that is due to a rare infection that had them go back in to replace the socket 2 weeks after the first surgery. 2 years out and very pleased at the results. Goodluck.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-27-19, 10:54 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
YBeecher:

Welcome to the forums. I had a THR 13 years ago and do not have any issues riding my bike, just hit 3,100 miles for the year. I also worked as a firefighter for 9 years after the surgery.

Best advice I received is follow the physical therapists plan for your recovery and don't push yourself too hard.

Wishing you well on the surgery, I'm glad I had mine at the relatively young age of 45. The physical limits and pain I had prior to surgery had a major negative impact on my life. The THR greatly improved my quality of life.
Likes For KenCT:
Old 12-27-19, 11:17 AM
YBeecher

Bikes: Cannondale EVO Super-Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This worries me

Dear bpcyclist,

This really has me worried. I'm having anterior surgery and I've been a workout fool trying to get as strong as possible before surgery. I don't know what I will do if I have problems with my hip flexors or any other issues. Every day I feel like canceling the surgery and living with a painful hip, but I'm 66 and don't want to wait another year where recovery may be more difficult as I get older.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I will just add that it is not that easy for everyone. My best bud had his done with the anterior approach and he cannot ride a bike a year later. Too painful in the hip flexors. He is really bummed out.
Old 12-27-19, 12:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by YBeecher
Dear bpcyclist,

This really has me worried. I'm having anterior surgery and I've been a workout fool trying to get as strong as possible before surgery. I don't know what I will do if I have problems with my hip flexors or any other issues. Every day I feel like canceling the surgery and living with a painful hip, but I'm 66 and don't want to wait another year where recovery may be more difficult as I get older.
I had no problem riding before surgery. My biggest benefit is being able to get back to walking/hiking. You'll be thankful for the improved quality of life you get. Did the same as far as exercise. I talked to a physical therapist about the aftercare program and did the exercises to get some baseline ideas of my recovery. Think about what you struggle with now. Picking things up, getting your shoes and socks on, sleeping comfortably, walking, getting in a car...not to mention the pain you've learned to live with.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-27-19, 03:18 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi Dave, I have a THR coming up next week in the US. I'm so afraid about the prospect of not being able to ride again, having ridden 4,000 miles this season. The mention of someone having pain in their hip flexors when riding has me scared to death. It's my first major surgery and I'm a wreck. Would like to hear of your progress.
Hiya Y Beecher,.

thanks for replying to my post. You mentioned that you're having your THR done in a week whereas mine will be done mid Jan so by the time I'll be under the knife, you'll be almost ready to walk unaided
I think the most important thing is give your body the opportunity to heal, don't be in too much a hurry to bring yourself to independence and risk something going on.
Any operation is an intrusion to your body and it needs time to get over it.
the techniques and materials used today are incredible, the scarring is less too due to robotics and because they do so many of these today means in most cases, the success rate is very high.

after a few weeks recovery perhaps hire an exercise bike, my Aunty who has had both hips done highly recommend swimming pool exercises in a heated pool complex. I 've elected to go to a rehab hospital after the main hospital because they have everything there with qualified people to help and instruct. Anything to make life better is worth it.
I'll keep you posted on my recovery as long as you'll do the same because in forums like this cycling forum, there'll be others long after we mend will be going through the same thing.
Also a big shout and cheers to those who have already gone through what Y Beeher and I are about to, thankyou for sharing your or a loved one's experience.
See as on the other side
Old 12-27-19, 05:52 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Had my left hip replaced at age 58 about Dec 1, 2009. Was able to get around pretty well with a walker in about a week. Another week and I was driving with a manual transmission and getting around with a cane. Started riding a bike in mid-January 2010 and rode RAGBRAI in July 2010. Before I did the RAGBRAI thing I asked the surgeon about doing it and he said it wasn't dangerous but that wear over the long term can be an issue. Over the long term, I sometimes have discomfort and walking more than about a mile or so causes some moderate pain, but I've had no issues at all associated with bikng. I don't think that riding a bicycle is much of an issue for hip problems, particularly for those of us who are not known for hammering.
Old 12-27-19, 06:40 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by brumby33
(Dave)
Honestly don't worry ... I've had 6 knee operatons, 2 hip replacements and 4 weeks into recovery from the 2nd hip replacement a ruptured intestine which resluted in emergency surgery and a colostomy bag for 6 months before a 5 hour operation 6 months later to reverse it so whilst it's not something you'd volunteer for if it wasn't neccessary ......... major surgery really isn't that much of a problem

I've always been knock me out and you can do what you want, as I'm really squimish ...... 1st hip replacment they convinced me to have an epidural and drugs that would make me "unaware" of what was happening as opposed to a fulll on general anesthetic, I came round mid operation to the smell of burning body parts and a tugging on my leg as I heard the sound of metal on metal as the surgeon was hammering the prostetic into what remained of the bones of my leg and I honestly didn't give a toss .... the anathetist realised and probbly pressed a button and \i was totally gone again.
That description may not sound like it but what I'm trying to say 1000% is there isn't actually anything to worry about, if you're concrend about it talk to the anethetist and they'll be able to deal with any concerns you may have, they have all sorts of "gear" at their disposal !!

Worst I had, my ruptured intestine they gave me an epidural which didn't work, when I came round from the operation in recovery they said how do you feel .... my answer was ... like someone just cut my stomach open with a knife (funny that and have the scar to prove it) .... 2 mins later and they pumped enough ketamine into me I didn't feel a thing nor did I care.

Back to the hip .... I got to the stage walking was unbearable especially downhill, a cliff top walk in Cornwall with downhill steps was what pushed me into having the 1st one done ..... 4 months later I was asking why I'd put it off for 3 years!!

Post in here 6 months after you're done and I think you'll find it's transformed your life for the better!!

Last edited by Witterings; 12-27-19 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 12-27-19, 07:11 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
, I came round mid operation to the smell of burning body parts and a tugging on my leg as I heard the sound of metal on metal as the surgeon was hammering the prostetic into what remained of the bones of my leg and I honestly didn't give a toss .... the anathetist realised and probbly pressed a button and \i was totally gone again.
I had the same experience during my hip replacement, same type of anesthesia. Only difference was when I opened my the doc said “how are you doing?” I said “I’m having chest pain”, which I was. Everything stopped. Turned out to be a muscle cramp in my chest, next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.
Old 12-28-19, 02:16 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Flamin' heck...burning body parts**********

What the hell were they doing...MIG welding
Old 01-11-20, 04:42 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi there Ybeecher, by now you would have had your surgery done, I hope it went well for you Sir, how is the rehabilitation going?

Mine is due to happen this coming Thursday Morning, first off the rank...sure hope the surgeon is wide awake and had his double dose of coffee beforehand

I finished up work yesterday (Saturday) and now is the build up and preparation for the Operation, have to have blood test tomorrow, have to organise pre-admittance appointment for tomorrow......sheesh there's a lot to be done beforehand......so today, Sunday, I've got to cut the lawn as I won't be able to do that for a couple of months...and it's summer...but no rain and everything is near dead anyway so i'm not concerned....but I will light up the Weber grill for 1 last BBQ before I go in....just in case .

Good luck with your recovery, you should be back on the bike sometime before your Summer comes...actually it's best to have an operation in Winter as it's not much chop outside anyway and you don't get hot and sweaty when recovering.

let us know how did it go for you.

regards

brumby33
Dave
Old 01-27-20, 08:26 AM
Brock92

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im 42 and had THR on my right hip 4 months ago. Was only home from hospital a few days when one my children decided to move my crutches. I got up off my chair to go get them, after a few steps my good leg was dead and gave way. All my weight was on my operated leg and I tried to turn back to grab onto the chair. Got bad pain in my knee. After my painkiller prescription ended my knee was still very sore.

Was sent for MRI and found out I had a meniscus tear and a previous PCL injury. Had knee steroid injection a week ago. Knee was feeling a good bit better so I decided to go for my first cycle in nearly 3 years yesterday. Was ready to give up on first hill I met as knee was starting to hurt again. But carried on and Im glad it did, knee was fine for rest of it. I managed to cycle 20 miles.

Knee and hip seem fine today. Only thing sore is my butt from the saddle.
Old 01-27-20, 06:29 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I would discuss this with your orthopedist before the surgery.

When my wife had her hip replacement, she had a discussion with the surgeon where he asked he what activities she did and what she wanted to do. That was to ensure she got a replacement that would do well with those activities. She bowled, cycled, and played golf. Additionally, the following PT regimen was tailored to also have an additional focus on those activities.

When I had a torn meniscus in my knee, cycling did not bother it, nor did walking, but getting into bed sometimes was excruciating. When I decided to get it repaired, the surgeon had me talk to the PT folks and they included cycling activities into the routine.
Old 01-29-20, 04:54 PM
switchblade 327

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can personally that it can be done. About 20 yrs ago I had fractured my hip in a cycling accident, a few months off the bike and I was back out riding. This was when I was 46 yrs. Fast forward 20 yrs had a motorcycle accident, open book pelvic fractures. About 6 months off bike. Now 63 yrs old and I rode 1600 in 2019. So yeah, I think you can ride again.
Old 01-30-20, 01:22 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
A friend of mine that rides with me has had both hips replaced. He rides just fine. He also plays rugby. Of course ask your doctor their opinion before doing anything.
Old 01-30-20, 03:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
How bad can it be?

My grand daughter had a total hip replacement starting at 7:00 this morning. They had her up and walking to the bathroom by lunch time. She's planning to come home tomorrow. I think that's amazing.
My wife has a total knee replacement 2 weeks ago today. She can walk unaided but uses a walker most of the time because she doesn't want to fall. We're planning to go to a recumbent rally the first week end in May. That looks do-able so far.

I, on the other hand,broke my femur 7 years ago. My surgeon didn't want me to put ANY weight on it for 6 whole weeks. I don't know if it was due to the surgeon, the nature of the repair vs. replacement or just how much orthopedics have improved in the meantime. I feel like I've had a good result so I'm going to be happy with that.
Old 02-01-20, 03:12 PM
ngamtnbikedad

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur, Scott Speedster Gravel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THR & Racing

Originally Posted by Mhodges
I too was very thankful to find this thread, I had a THR almost 6 weeks ago (I am 38) and have had to search quite a bit to find experiences/feedback from other cyclists. I ride 3500-4000 miles per year with lots of climbing, and there are a few gravel races I am looking to register for this summer. Does anyone hav experience riding gravel (or MTB) races post THR? Any serious falls? I’m pretty scared about the risk of falling, but why get a hip replacement if you can’t get back to doing what you love? I was off the walker after 1 week, off the cane almost entirely at 2-3 weeks, and was cleared to ride the trainer inside at about 2.5 weeks. I started out at 5mins almost no resistance, then brought it up to 30-60mins with some resistance at 4-5 weeks once my surgeon said it was okay to bike ‘as tolerated’. I do feel like if I want to ride, I need to budget my other activities (walking, household chores) to balance recovery.
I had my hips done 2008 & 2009 @ 35/36 years old. Didn’t start riding until 2 years ago @ 46 and caught the fever. I have crashed numerous times - but as someone else said- I learned to “tuck and roll” as well as how to lay the bike down - Ie: control crash.
I did add knee protection to my kit.
I rode 5 MTB races in 2019 from 15 to 38 miles in length.I even won my age group in Beginner category at last one.
Running even 2 miles causes me tendinitis in the hip flexors so stopped that.
I found this board searching for tips on riding no handed with THR’s - I find it almost impossible - not sure if it’s confidence - or I really lack the balance. Curious if anyone else has feedback on no hand riding.
Old 02-02-20, 12:51 AM
Bagel Bob

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had both hips replaced at the same time in 2011 at age 56, (front entry method). Currently, age 64, I cycle 8 to 10 miles almost every day, do 40 minutes on an indoor trainer on bad weather days, play pickleball 2 or 3 times a week, and alternate weight training with cardio at a local club. NO PAIN EVER, (at least not from the hips). I consider myself lucky to have had such a successful outcome.
Old 02-03-20, 06:29 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by ngamtnbikedad
Curious if anyone else has feedback on no hand riding.
I believe a lot of it is to do with saddle position and if you're perfectly balanced on the bike but that's only from snippets I've read so not hard science.
Old 02-10-20, 02:09 AM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi all, hope you're all well.

Into the 4th week after my left THR and it's going great, my scar is now looking like it's healing well, walking without support, threw the crutches into my storeroom as they were getting in the way and doing 3 hours of rehab including hydrotherapy twice a week....went today in fact and almost walked out of there legless lol....I was totally exhausted...treadmills, hip flexes, exercise bike, more hip flexes and steps.....but i'm enjoying it as well as the social aspect of it.
I've been home now for 2 weeks and whilst we've had lots of bushfires and smoke since November, we now have serious flooding...more rain in one week than we've had in 3 decades....so can't get out to walk around the block......so I worked out extra hard today...and now feeling it
So now to cycling....I've been working on the exercise bike at the gym now for 2 weeks and doing about 6kms (3.7 miles) in 15 minutes at around 70-80 rpm so considering my commute to work is only 4km, by the time I start back to work on March1, I should be able to easily ride my tourer to work. I'll just allow more time and i'll do a test run or two before....so should be a good way to get back into it...but I haven't yet been cleared by my surgeon so i'll check with him first...if I gotta wait another month or two...so be it but I think I should be able to manage it now.
I'm determined i'm going to tour somewhere.......soon

cheers

brumby33
Old 02-10-20, 11:55 AM
Witterings

^^^^^^^

Seriously don't overdo it .... I'm convinced I have a weakness in one of my replacements because I did exactly that, thinking I was doing great so pushed the boat out a bit which ended in an injury setting me back weeks and still causes me problems now.

That aside glad to hear you're doing well
Old 02-10-20, 04:13 PM
brumby33

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
^^^^^^^

Seriously don't overdo it .... I'm convinced I have a weakness in one of my replacements because I did exactly that, thinking I was doing great so pushed the boat out a bit which ended in an injury setting me back weeks and still causes me problems now.

That aside glad to hear you're doing well
Sorry to hear that Witherings.....hope you get back on top of it real soon. Yes I've been conscious of overdoing it. Where do you feel the weakness and what did you do that might have bought that on.....when you say pushed the boat out a bit, are you talking about an actual boat or was that a figure of speech? I think you had your surgery a couple of weeks before me, so how did your recovery go? Did they get you up the very same day? they did with me.

Cheers

brumby33
Old 02-10-20, 04:44 PM
curbtender

They go through a lot of tissues to get that in. Took almost a year and a half for a tendon to stop popping around on me. Best to stay within therapy program. It's why they are there.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-10-20, 05:04 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Excellent thread, I'm recovering from hip surgery myself right now. I tore the labrum and they had the fix that and take out 3 large bone chunks and shave a little bone of the socket..I've been cleared to ride the bike for 5 minutes A-day, stationary bike... What's killing me is I have a brand new Lynskey Helix Proro being delivered next week you talk about motivation! This is a great threat for motivation!
Likes For Chad991:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.