Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What happens during bike on ped/bike crash

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-19-20, 06:21 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

I have been riding my local MUP.

Most people ride or walk with head phones so crashes will 'be inevitable.

So what happens when it does. Is it like a car crash? Exchange numbers? Decide whose at fault? Or does everyone just pay for your own property and medical damage.
Old 08-19-20, 06:46 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Call your friend that would help you bury a body, and never speak of it again.
Old 08-19-20, 07:05 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
It's the same as on the road. The person that caused the wreck, usually flees the scene if they are able, and there are no witnesses.
Old 08-19-20, 07:11 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
I have been riding my local MUP.

Most people ride or walk with head phones so crashes will 'be inevitable.

So what happens when it does. Is it like a car crash? Exchange numbers? Decide whose at fault? Or does everyone just pay for your own property and medical damage.
this isn’t like a fender bender. A bike hits a pedestrian, there’s a fair chance that someone will be calling an ambulance. And if there are significant damages, it could get legally messy. Road usage is prescribed by endless laws to supposedly help to define drivers’ rights, obligations, protections and culpability in the event of a collision, but even then, assigning blame can be complex. I don’t know if there are “laws” per se that apply to MUPs, or just guidelines, so assigning legal culpability could be a nightmare. My own personal solution is to avoid MUPs like the plague.
Old 08-19-20, 07:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
My own personal solution is to avoid MUPs like the plague.
+1

The only times I'll use them is for commuting after dark, or a slow cool down after a ride.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-19-20, 07:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 3,305 Posts
It's pretty much anything can happen. Surprisingly a lot of untested waters here. As other's have said, many of the persons responsible for damage and injury leave never to be ID'd adequately to bring charges against. Sad.

If you want to be sure about protecting your assets..... (take that any way you want). Talk with your insurance agent and make sure you are fully protected both as injured party and liable party.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-19-20 at 07:58 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-19-20, 07:58 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
One of the reasons why I ride fairly sedately along multi-use, multi-occupant paths. Far safer, all the way around. And not just from the liability standpoint. Isn't the best exercise, but then there are other places for getting a tougher workout.

The MUPs are for cross-town travel, around my neck of the woods, and plenty of people use them. They've as much right to be there as I do. I simply ride as though they're likely to do any damned thing at any moment, usually without warning. Which is normally how it turns out. A strike on a pedestrian at 10mph won't often result in much damage, by comparison to much faster closing speeds. Dogs and leashes, though ... that's a whole different problem, and pokey speeds aren't hardly sufficient to avoid a nasty spill.

Definitely consider appropriate insurance coverage for liability and damage. As others have suggested above, particularly if you've got assets someone can come after in such an event.

Myself, I've crashed once (years ago), when disregarding head-in-clouds behaviors of others in and around MUPs. Of course, I was doing >25mph or so. Lost grip, smacked the concrete, and dealt with a bad case of road rash. No strike (bike on pedestrian), so no lawsuit. But, messy medical issue for several months. Took years for the scars to disappear (which they finally did). And so, I go "easy" on MUPs around others. Works well for me.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 08-19-20 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added memory lane entry
Old 08-19-20, 08:00 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
I understand the original post is questioning the legal aspects.

However, I think it is important to point out that the consequences can be deadly.

This is a sobering read: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...83145720231210

The most important thing is to avoid a crash in the first place. You may pass pedestrians fast 1000, 10000 times and nothing happens. But when it does, it can be bad.

I find I need the same level of situational awareness and attention on the area MUP as I do when on the road. Part and parcel of cycling.
Old 08-19-20, 08:10 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
The only ones that come out ahead are the lawyers.
Old 08-19-20, 08:24 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Keep in mind, that even if the pedestrian is wearing headphones, it is still your responsibility, as the faster person/vehicle that is passing, to pass safely. If that means slowing down, even to a walking pace, or even, *gasp*, coming to a stop, then that's what you have to do. If I want to go fast, I keep it on the road, if I'm on the MUP, it's an easy ride and I'm always prepared to slow down and/or stop, and pass safely.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 08-19-20, 08:29 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
You can get tickets for speeding on mups around here. I suppose, it is a civil matter if you are talking about compensation.
Old 08-19-20, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

We don't need to tell you that anyone traveling the same general direction in front of you has privilege over you, do we? You need to approach them so that you can avoid any stupid thing they might do. Only once you are safely in front of them do you gain privilege over them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-19-20, 08:46 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Only inevitable due to people being reckless and irresponsible.
Old 08-19-20, 08:47 AM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Only bike on MUPs when there is light pedestrian traffic. That guarantees your safety, as shown here:

Likes For Jasper Storm:
Old 08-19-20, 08:52 AM
sanmateoclimber

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I have a great local MUP along a reservoir that I used to incorporate into my rides all the time pre-COVID. The pandemic situation forced me to break the habit, and I don't think I'll be going back. Every once in a while a pedestrian would do something unpredictable, and suddenly I would have far less control of the situation then I really ought to. Once a runner was doing a hard sprint interval up ahead of me, then very suddenly stopped sprinting and took a few steps across the path laterally just as I was overtaking him. I shouted and banked wide, and he did a cartoony windmill-arms-at-the-edge-of-the-cliff maneuver, and we avoided a very bad day for both of us. If the timing had been a little different, I would've nailed him without any chance to react to his abrupt move. Eventually, a scenario like this would have resulted in a ****show that I can just avoid entirely by keeping to the roads.

Last edited by sanmateoclimber; 08-19-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 08:57 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
I ride through a University campus on one of my routes. I think my body count is 4 so far.

I now ride slowly through, keep my head on a swivel, and dodge the missiles.

After the impact, I just keep my cool, ask if they are Ok, breathe a sigh of relief when they say "yes", and go along my way.

ETA- One of the encounters happened this way. A young woman (student) was coming towards me, in her lane, she made eye contact, then just came straight at me. Poor thing hits me head on, and falls over. I managed to stay upright in a trackstand. Target fixation on her part is the most likely explanation.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 08-19-20 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 10:50 AM
JPChap
Ridin again

Bikes: Gary Fisher AR Super

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
ETA- One of the encounters happened this way. A young woman (student) was coming towards me, in her lane, she made eye contact, then just came straight at me. Poor thing hits me head on, and falls over. I managed to stay upright in a trackstand. Target fixation on her part is the most likely explanation.
Must have been mesmerized by the guads.
Likes For JPChap:
Old 08-19-20, 11:14 AM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I find most all trail users wearing earbuds can still hear my bell. If they do not acknowledge my bell then I'm extra cautious.
Likes For Goldrush:
Old 08-19-20, 02:45 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasper Storm
Only bike on MUPs when there is light pedestrian traffic. That guarantees your safety, as shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjXgghJxNDo
Or, just be careful. The guy in the video looks like he's going too fast. He/she got lucky.

I was on a short section of MUP this morning getting home from a longer road ride. Had to cross under an expressway. A guy walking a small dog was moving rather aimlessly. So I thinks to myself: "Self, that guy is not to be trusted." So I call out "coming around." And I slow WAY down. As I get closer, he walks right into my path. Because I anticipated the problem and had slowed down, I was able to come to a complete stop. He says "You need to call out when you pass." When I told him I just did, he said "I didn't hear a thing." I then politely suggested he might want to get his ears checked.

Less than two miles away I almost hit a doberman that was running off leash. I'd seen a couple of wet paw prints about 100 feet further up the MUP, but didn't see anyone. As I go to pass a runner, the dog jumps out from behind the bushes. He had a leash alright...she was just letting him run dragging it along. Again, because I'd anticipated the problem, I was able to stop.

I couldn't wait to get back on the road. People really aren't too smart on the MUP.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 08-19-20 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-19-20, 03:08 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I understand the original post is questioning the legal aspects.

However, I think it is important to point out that the consequences can be deadly.

This is a sobering read: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...83145720231210

The most important thing is to avoid a crash in the first place. You may pass pedestrians fast 1000, 10000 times and nothing happens. But when it does, it can be bad.

I find I need the same level of situational awareness and attention on the area MUP as I do when on the road. Part and parcel of cycling.
I've read that story before...it's sad. Small kids would seem to be particularly vulnerable on the MUP.

I was riding a MUP one morning about four months ago when a MUP warrior flew past me. Full lycra...not that there's anything wrong with that. And he was a BIG guy. Probably 6'4" and I don't know, maybe 265 pounds. I was putting along as slowly as I could stay moving, waiting to safely pass a family riding with their little girl on a bike with training wheels. This guy came around us all, barked "ON YOUR LEFT." And he literally almost ran over the little girl. I guess he was barking at me and didn't see what or who was ahead of me. He did the right thing and veered to the left a went down HARD. If he would have hit her, it would have been very, very bad.

Being "multi-use" families with kids have every right to be out there without being run over by MUP Warriors.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-19-20, 03:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Less than two miles away I almost hit a doberman that was running off leash. I'd seen a couple of wet paw prints about 100 feet further up the MUP, but didn't see anyone. As I go to pass a runner, the dog jumps out from behind the bushes. He had a leash alright...she was just letting him run dragging it along. Again, because I'd anticipated the problem, I was able to stop.
What a coincidence. On my ride earlier today I saw a older couple waking on the trail. Newbs for certain. Probably from a car that stopped at the rest area along the Natchez Trace that parallels much of the trail I ride frequently. All I saw were the two people walking as if they were a boat with no rudder. About 100 feet away I hollered out "bike back" Then the hilarity began. Two english bulldogs trailing leashes came from out of the bushes, both dragging a leash. And the couple were all over the place trying to coral their dogs. I watched from a safe distance. <grin>.
Old 08-19-20, 03:24 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmateoclimber
Once a runner was doing a hard sprint interval up ahead of me, then very suddenly stopped sprinting and took a few steps across the path laterally just as I was overtaking him. I shouted and banked wide, and he did a cartoony windmill-arms-at-the-edge-of-the-cliff maneuver, and we avoided a very bad day for both of us.
If you saw the sprinter up ahead, why didn't you slow down as you approached? It seems like you made things worse by not respecting other trail users.
Old 08-19-20, 03:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I was riding a MUP one morning about four months ago when a MUP warrior flew past me. Full lycra...not that there's anything wrong with that. And he was a BIG guy. Probably 6'4" and I don't know, maybe 265 pounds. I was putting along as slowly as I could stay moving, waiting to safely pass a family riding with their little girl on a bike with training wheels. This guy came around us all, barked "ON YOUR LEFT." And he literally almost ran over the little girl. I guess he was barking at me and didn't see what or who was ahead of me. He did the right thing and veered to the left a went down HARD.
I hope that you did the right thing and mocked him while he was down.

Sorry. I really dislike pathletes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-19-20, 03:26 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldrush
I find most all trail users wearing earbuds can still hear my bell. If they do not acknowledge my bell then I'm extra cautious.
If they don't acknowledge my bell, I give 'em the buzzing they deserve. If I hit 'em, so what? Don't stand on the tracks when the train's comin' through!
Old 08-19-20, 05:00 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Wow, flangehead, thank you so much for that pressreader link. That gave me a lot to think about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.