Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Father and Son

Old 06-06-22, 10:32 AM
Josh K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Father and Son

Hello all,

A quick but important question... I am 118kg and my son in 22kg, so together we are around 140-145kg (or 320 pounds max). I have a decent but pretty standard Marin mountain bike, with hybrid wheels/tires.

So my Q is, will my bike (and wheels) safely support my son and I, as we ride around London? Not planning to go off-road!

Thank you!

Josh
Old 06-06-22, 10:38 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh K
Hello all,

A quick but important question... I am 118kg and my son in 22kg, so together we are around 140-145kg (or 320 pounds max). I have a decent but pretty standard Marin mountain bike, with hybrid wheels/tires.

So my Q is, will my bike (and wheels) safely support my son and I, as we ride around London? Not planning to go off-road!

Thank you!

Josh
If you're worried, why not get a trailer or cargo-style bike?
Old 06-06-22, 10:46 AM
Josh K

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good thinking... Just that most are e-bikes (don't want that), and/or very expensive...
Old 06-06-22, 10:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I used a trailer when my daughter was little. If you are too much for the wheel it’s not going to fail catastrophically you’ll know it’s failing before you get hurt
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-06-22, 11:15 AM
Josh K

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's reassuring - thank you.
Old 06-06-22, 11:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Hello all,

Thank you!

Josh

How old is your son?

Do you have a seat already? What is it?
Old 06-06-22, 11:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I don't like seeing little children on the bike with their parents. Even if they are in a special child seat. If they are in front of you then they'll just be a cushion for you in a wreck. If they are over the back tire, then their head might just be a watermelon being slammed to the ground.

I don't have any support for these conclusions other than my imagination. I do like it when I see people pulling their toddlers in a trailer attached to the bike.

Weight itself should not be an issue for the bike as long as you aren't riding like you are in a BMX race.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-06-22, 11:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Over 30 years ago I took my kids around in a bike trailer; a long gone Cannondale Bugger. I was using a drop bar road bike with downtube friction shifters. Worked great.

I think Burly is still around, along with a lot of others. I used a rear mounted child’s seat for our daughter, but the trailer was a lot easier and, I felt, safer.

You are talking a considerable amount of weight to balance on two wheels. Not something I would want to do.

John
Old 06-06-22, 11:29 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
If you are planning to be riding the streets of a busy city, I don't think a trailer would be wise. I wouldn't be comfortable doing it anyway. If you do carry your son on a bike, be wary of them throwing their weight around. Kids have a tendency to do that and it could put you off balance.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-06-22, 11:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't like seeing little children on the bike with their parents. Even if they are in a special child seat. If they are in front of you then they'll just be a cushion for you in a wreck. If they are over the back tire, then their head might just be a watermelon being slammed to the ground.

I don't have any support for these conclusions other than my imagination. I do like it when I see people pulling their toddlers in a trailer attached to the bike.

Weight itself should not be an issue for the bike as long as you aren't riding like you are in a BMX race.

Sorry, but I don't think uninformed speculation on what might happen is really useful here.

If the kid is in a decent seat with a good helmet, the kid's head is very unlikely to get "slammed". I did a lot of riding with seats and trailers when my kids were small. The main thing for me was keeping the speed reasonably slow and remember that turns are going to be different than a bike that has neither seat nor trailer.
Old 06-06-22, 11:37 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Bike Trailer seems to be it. Especially considering you can modify it for touring next week when you and your kid go ridding together on your touring bikes. They get big fast fair warning. I never had to or got the chance to put training wheels on my kids bikes... Ha
Old 06-06-22, 11:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, but I don't think uninformed speculation on what might happen is really useful here.

If the kid is in a decent seat with a good helmet, the kid's head is very unlikely to get "slammed". I did a lot of riding with seats and trailers when my kids were small. The main thing for me was keeping the speed reasonably slow and remember that turns are going to be different than a bike that has neither seat nor trailer.
Basing something on what we use to do back in the day seems almost just as much uninformed speculation too.

Use to not wear helmets while riding a bike till I was in my 50's. When young we use to ride with no seatbelts in cars. As a teen we'd strap in to a parachute and go para-sailing on land behind a car. Did all sorts of stuff we got away with. Doesn't mean it's entirely safe.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-06-22, 12:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
OP, how old is your son? At 22 kg he might be getting to an age where something like a Trail-a-Bike would be appropriate. He's not likely to get more than a summer's riding out of a trailer, I wouldn't think.

A hybrid with decent wheels should be able to support you and him (this summer) if he's too young to sit up by himself.

And don't worry about the kid with a helmet on. There are questions about helmet effectiveness, true, but the fall-over-to-the-side accident is what bike helmets are designed and tested to. Not that the boy would appreciate that kind of accident!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-06-22, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Basing something on what we use to do back in the day seems almost just as much uninformed speculation too.

Use to not wear helmets while riding a bike till I was in my 50's. When young we use to ride with no seatbelts in cars. As a teen we'd strap in to a parachute and go para-sailing on land behind a car. Did all sorts of stuff we got away with. Doesn't mean it's entirely safe.

If you're going to claim it's dangerous, the burden of proof is on you. Statistically, my understanding is that the number of children injured in seats and trailers is too low for there to be any meaningful comparison of risk. In other words, it's really a competition between two safe methods of transporting children, not one where either is particularly dangerous.

The American Academy of Pediatrics prefers trailers but it doesn't look like that recommendation is really data driven.
Old 06-06-22, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You might want to start a thread asking people familiar with riding in London as to what method would be easier to use there, trailer vs. seat vs. trail-a-bike..
Old 06-06-22, 01:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts

i had a nice little setup where the kid seat was mounted to the top bar of my MTB. it was such a great experience for my daughter when she was about 2 yrs old. and a great experience for me too seeing her look around and listening to her excitement as we rode around.

i never once found the configuration to be dangerous.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-07-22, 01:13 AM
Josh K

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He's 5 and I have a Yepp seat (with seat belt) and a very sturdy rack.
Old 06-07-22, 01:15 AM
Josh K

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
OP, how old is your son? At 22 kg he might be getting to an age where something like a Trail-a-Bike would be appropriate. He's not likely to get more than a summer's riding out of a trailer, I wouldn't think.

A hybrid with decent wheels should be able to support you and him (this summer) if he's too young to sit up by himself.

And don't worry about the kid with a helmet on. There are questions about helmet effectiveness, true, but the fall-over-to-the-side accident is what bike helmets are designed and tested to. Not that the boy would appreciate that kind of accident!
Thanks - I think a trail-a-bike or cargo bike will be needed in the next year or so... He's 5yo now.
Old 06-07-22, 05:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

He's 5 and I have a Yepp seat (with seat belt) and a very sturdy rack.
I moved my kids to the trailer when they were about 3. Have you ridden in London before? I'd think that some local knowledge would be helpful in making the choice. There's definitely cities where I wouldn't have considered trailers and ones where it wasn't a problem.
Old 06-07-22, 07:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Emulate the London busses:
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-07-22, 09:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you're going to claim it's dangerous, the burden of proof is on you. Statistically, my understanding is that the number of children injured in seats and trailers is too low for there to be any meaningful comparison of risk. In other words, it's really a competition between two safe methods of transporting children, not one where either is particularly dangerous.

The American Academy of Pediatrics prefers trailers but it doesn't look like that recommendation is really data driven.
Both a rack or top tube mounted child seat and a trailer have benefits and drawbacks in use and safety. From a simple perspective of falling though, one is clearly less dangerous than the other.

A child seat mounted on a rack or top tube has 3 feet to fall, the child is exposed to the ground, and there is a decent chance of the adult's weight striking the child in some manner.
A pull behind trailer puts the child on 2 wheels(more stable), has a pivot which increases the odds of the trailer staying upright when a bike falls, places material between the child and ground to reduce injury, and has a harness to help reduce impact with the ground.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...%20a%20trailer.

^ the above is a very realistic and hardly extreme analysis of safety when looking at only falling off the bike. Other types of accidents may mean different results- who knows. I only spoke of falling since that is what you initially took issue with in iride's post.

We had a Burley trailer for our youngest and used it for a very brief time because it was boring, Interaction was difficult with her in a bubble. Switched to a WeeHoo and suddenly family rides were faster, farther, and more fun because she was able to chat with us and be part of the ride.
Old 06-07-22, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
^ the above is a very realistic and hardly extreme analysis of safety when looking at only falling off the bike. Other types of accidents may mean different results- who knows. I only spoke of falling since that is what you initially took issue with in iride's post.
Actually, no, my disagreement with him was in suggesting that the child's head would be slammed into the ground like a watermelon if such a fall occurred. There's pretty much no good data to support the notion that the bike seat/helmet combination isn't adequate protection from the consequences of such a fall. And, as you suggest, there may be other factors like the fact that the bike/trailer combination is a bigger target for car impact and perhaps harder to steer that may set off whatever marginal increase in hazard that height might entail.

Obviously, a child on the bike is higher than a child in a trailer, and therefore has further to fall. My contention is that we're really comparing two very safe ways to transport children, and I don't think there's any good reason for someone to get cringy when they see a parent using either method properly.

BTW, if you notice, neither the Consumer Reports or the AAP is suggesting bike seats are unreasonably dangerous, and both are offering standards for preferred features on the bike seats.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-07-22 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 10:18 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
We had a Burley trailer for our youngest and used it for a very brief time because it was boring, Interaction was difficult with her in a bubble. Switched to a WeeHoo and suddenly family rides were faster, farther, and more fun because she was able to chat with us and be part of the ride.
The WeeHoo looks like fun. Does it stay upright when you are fully stopped?

I still have my burley after almost 30 years. I still remember pulling my two kids in it giving me a real good leg workout going up hills. Nowadays, I use it just to wheel around big bulky items ( like relocating a skunk I caught in a live trap).
Old 06-07-22, 10:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I had to google the WeeHoo, I don't think it was an option when my kids were small. Interesting. Based on your experience, is that something OP would likely enjoy using with a 5 yo in London?

I think my kids read kiddie books when they were in the trailer.
Old 06-07-22, 11:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
The Cannondale Bugger had our kids facing rearward so they had an unobstructed view which I think they liked.

The downside of that view may have been one of seeing cars rapidly approaching them.

I can’t say any of them were traumatized by the experience, but all of them were 18 when they got their driver’s licenses.

That cut down on expenses and any laws concerning under-18 drivers. So it was a win-win.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.