Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The only drive train I would spend a lot of money on

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-06-19, 07:57 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

the "hero" or the "venge"by ceramic speed . a chainless drive train it is the finest most efficient drive train possible....i would spend money for this level of quaility...eliminate the chain and derailleur

Last edited by robnol; 09-06-19 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 12:10 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts

I've seen a lot of pictures, heard some claims, but not found much in the way of independent substance.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-07-19, 02:42 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Looks weak.
Old 09-07-19, 06:01 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
It does not look like it would be easy to work on, especially while out on a ride.
Old 09-07-19, 06:19 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Maybe they'll let you be a beta tester, and then let us know how well it works in real life.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 09-07-19, 07:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
The flaw in that design that I see is that the tooth gaps between each gear need to be the same throughout the whole gear range. That is going to make the ratio jumps and the low end (large cogs) much tighter than the gaps at the high end (small cogs). Not really an issue for narrow range “cassettes” (or whatever you call these), but it is with a wide range one.
Old 09-07-19, 07:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Bikes use cogs and chain because it's simple and it works. The drivetrain efficiency of a modern bicycle in superb condition approaches 98%. Enormous sacrifices need to be made to cut into that last 2%-- whether it be in maintainability, longevity, or just cost. There are no free lunches, so if Ceramicspeed's chainless-drive ever moves beyond the "almost operable display" to an actual thing, it will either require a special mechanic to service it, wear the proprietary parts out with alarming frequency, or cost an absolute fortune-- remember, these are the guys that sell $600 jockey wheels. A full drivetrain is likely to cost more than an entire bicycle. There are a laundry list of things on which money is better spent. Once that list is exhausted, people should feel free to fritter their money away on chasing marginal gains.

All I know is if and when that drivetrain finally exists, I will see a bike with it equipped... running Gatorskins. Guaranteed.
Old 09-07-19, 07:45 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am going to rant a bit...I am so tired of seeing that drivetrain in various states on a couple of bikes. I have seen it shifting and running but never in a real world application under load. I think its well...CRAP! Take that S-works and put Sagan, Cav, or Kittle on it and let them give it the mustard and then compare the numbers vs. a traditional drivetrain. Then you can make me a believer otherwise just a bunch of marketing hype to keep the brand relevant IMO.

OK I feel better.....
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 09-07-19, 08:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
It is a drive system that is still in development. It may well work out to be the next greatest thing, but it is probably a couple of years at least away from being ready for sales to the public
Old 09-07-19, 09:22 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Maybe they'll let you be a beta tester, and then let us know how well it works in real life.
that would be awesome i would volunteer today
Old 09-07-19, 09:22 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I'm hoping this becomes reality. Looks very cool. It would be fun if they could bring a single speed/fixed gear version to market first while they make the final development on the shifting system.
Old 09-07-19, 09:23 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by alcjphil
It is a drive system that is still in development. It may well work out to be the next greatest thing, but it is probably a couple of years at least away from being ready for sales to the public
their claims are awesome .and i think thats where drives may be going in the future
Old 09-07-19, 09:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Research is good, even if it never makes it to production.

I appreciate people who try new things, especially those who do so in the face of nattering nabobs and nay-sayers.

Many great inventors were laughed at. Thomas Edison was called a fool.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-07-19, 09:27 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Bikes use cogs and chain because it's simple and it works. The drivetrain efficiency of a modern bicycle in superb condition approaches 98%. Enormous sacrifices need to be made to cut into that last 2%-- whether it be in maintainability, longevity, or just cost. There are no free lunches, so if Ceramicspeed's chainless-drive ever moves beyond the "almost operable display" to an actual thing, it will either require a special mechanic to service it, wear the proprietary parts out with alarming frequency, or cost an absolute fortune-- remember, these are the guys that sell $600 jockey wheels. A full drivetrain is likely to cost more than an entire bicycle. There are a laundry list of things on which money is better spent. Once that list is exhausted, people should feel free to fritter their money away on chasing marginal gains.

All I know is if and when that drivetrain finally exists, I will see a bike with it equipped... running Gatorskins. Guaranteed.
all in the pursuit of perfection....the first real drive train that is actually different and holds great promise for the future
Old 09-07-19, 09:30 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by delbiker1
It does not look like it would be easy to work on, especially while out on a ride.
riders will have to increase their mechanical aptitude...
Old 09-07-19, 09:35 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Kovkov
Looks weak.
i agree.... if they perfect it i will get one.....the weak link i see is if ur standing on the pedals goingf up hill i think the rear cog and shaft drive may deflect and skip teeth on the cog...unless its super rigid and solid
Old 09-07-19, 09:40 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
all in the pursuit of perfection....the first real drive train that is actually different and holds great promise for the future
The Rohloff Speedhub and Pinion line of gearboxes are both fantastic and have bright futures IMO. If you want to get more people to put more miles on bikes, longevity and cleanliness of drivetrain is more important than a few watts of power loss.
Old 09-07-19, 09:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
The Rohloff Speedhub and Pinion line of gearboxes are both fantastic and have bright futures IMO. If you want to get more people to put more miles on bikes, longevity and cleanliness of drivetrain is more important than a few watts of power loss.
Getting more people to put more miles on bikes isn't the point of anything CeramicSpeed does.

"In persuit of 1%" is their slogan. That's what they do.

I agree about the Pinion gearbox though. I've not heard anyone say that they suck and reliability/cleanliness can't be questioned.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-19, 09:51 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I am going to rant a bit...I am so tired of seeing that drivetrain in various states on a couple of bikes. I have seen it shifting and running but never in a real world application under load. I think its well...CRAP! Take that S-works and put Sagan, Cav, or Kittle on it and let them give it the mustard and then compare the numbers vs. a traditional drivetrain. Then you can make me a believer otherwise just a bunch of marketing hype to keep the brand relevant IMO.

OK I feel better.....
You are one up on me, I have never seen a video of it shifting. All the prototypes I saw were not yet able to shift.
Old 09-07-19, 09:53 AM
phughes

their claims are awesome .and i think thats where drives may be going in the future
Many claims are awesome, it is reality that is generally less than awesome.
Old 09-07-19, 10:08 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Here is a good video of it working. Now you can see them riding the system but not shifting while riding still. Driveshafts are not new, but this is a new concept. Just looks way over engineered to be practical. That is why I think its just a hype maker for CS.

Old 09-07-19, 10:13 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by phughes
You are one up on me, I have never seen a video of it shifting. All the prototypes I saw were not yet able to shift.
wax ur chain its slowing you down
Old 09-07-19, 10:17 AM
robnol
Banned

Here is a good video of it working. Now you can see them riding the system but not shifting while riding still. Driveshafts are not new, but this is a new concept. Just looks way over engineered to be practical. That is why I think its just a hype maker for CS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRoLifq9BRM
i will get one when its perfected
Old 09-07-19, 10:22 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

OK I feel better.....
Is that a new chain lube?
Old 09-07-19, 10:26 AM
phughes

wax ur chain its slowing you down
What are you talking about? I don't wax my chain, nor have I made any derogatory comments about your coveted new system. I simply stated I had not seen a prototype actually shifting. I did not say videos of it doing so did not exist, just that I had not yet seen one, and was not not aware of one at this point.

Lord, get a grip. Oh, and it is, "your."

Last edited by phughes; 09-07-19 at 10:29 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.