Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which V-Brake would be best for me?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 03-22-21, 12:08 AM
RuthlessDrixx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I plan on buying a 2021 Giant ATX (Blue) and it turns out that it's not disc brake compatible. So now I'd like to know which V brake would be best for me.

I'll be doing a lot of footpath and road riding, but also simple trail riding, nothing too serious (maybe one or 2 downhill drives)

So, I'd just like to know which V brake would be best for me and type of riding. (don't worry about price)
Old 03-22-21, 04:25 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by RuthlessDrixx
Hey, I plan on buying a 2021 Giant ATX (Blue) and it turns out that it's not disc brake compatible. So now I'd like to know which V brake would be best for me.
What's wrong with the brakes that are on the bike?
Old 03-22-21, 06:26 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The brakes that come with it are probably fine. There are very few aftermarket options for V brakes unless you are lucky to find NOS stuff on the bay.
Old 03-22-21, 06:30 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I thought pretty much every v-brake was the same, in there's very little if any difference in performance or weight or anythng else.
Old 03-22-21, 07:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Spend an extra $50 and get the Talon which has disc brakes.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-22-21, 09:33 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
The brakes that come with it are probably fine. There are very few aftermarket options for V brakes unless you are lucky to find NOS stuff on the bay.
Unless you spend real $ and get Paul Components stuff, which are way cool brakes but not sure they stop any better than Deores.

OP - read a few articles on Rivbike.com

Grant Petersen at Rivendell Bike works is a rim-brake holdover and a huge proponent of V brakes. I think I read somewhere that he estimates Deore brakes go out on 90% of his builds, they're reliable and have great stopping power with the correct pads and setup (which is easy).

I know a lot of trials guys still run them too.
Old 03-22-21, 11:13 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by RuthlessDrixx

I'll be doing a lot of footpath and road riding, but also simple trail riding, nothing too serious (maybe one or 2 downhill drives)

So, I'd just like to know which V brake would be best for me and type of riding. (don't worry about price)

The ones that are already on your bike would be best for you -- but if you dont already have the bike yet and it is available, as prj71 alluded to above, spend the extra handful of dollars to get the disc brake equipped machine if you can . But if you cant due to availability issues, you are not putting yourself in harms way with the stock stuff
Old 03-22-21, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I really wouldn't put any money towards that bike aside from absolute bare essentials to keep it running long enough to upgrade to a better bike. If you are really desperate for an upgrade get good pads from a Stop (Swiss or Kool) and make sure they have good stiff shoes. That will help a lot more than slightly better calipers.

If your statement has "don't worry about price" and the bottom of the line bike from a manufacturer something must give so either you could get a better bike or you don't actually want to spend money.

If you can get a better bike and are stuck on Giant the Talon 1 would be a very good upgrade from the ATX and would make a decent starter mountain bike but a fine reliable bike in other situations.