Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Question re "Flat Foot" Townie and 24" option vs full size

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 05-23-17, 12:18 PM
KnitnZen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have bad knees and hip pain and am interested in getting a bike.

I have been reading up on the Electra Townie and it sounds great. I went to a bike shop in town today that sells them and tried one out.

They did not have the smaller model but I tried the full size 7D. In order to have "flat feet" they had to lower the seat as far is they could and, in fact, he said to truly get there he'd need to remove the rear reflector.

Then, when riding it, we found I could not fully extend my legs which might put some strain on my knees so he raised the seat higher, which meant I could only touch the ground on tiptoes, which I would prefer to feel more secure than that.

I asked about the smaller 24" option that is available, so I could try that as a point of comparison. They did not have one in stock for me to try but he said it would make no difference, I'd still have the same problem. He gave some explanation that I did not understand...I guess it did not make sense to me so I am not sure if he was correct or if he is confused or if he just wants me to choose from what they have in stock.

Does this make sense? Maybe he was saying that I'd be closer to the ground but no more able to extend my legs? I am not sure.
Old 05-24-17, 03:00 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If the seat is properly adjusted your legs should be almost completely extended when the cranks are parallel to the downtube (the part of frame from cranks to the seat itself). It sounds as though this bike shop is more interested in selling the bike that selling you one that fits. If they had to remove the reflector to get the seat low enough for you to ride it and it is all the way down, the frame is too large. Don't buy that bike. See if you can find another bike shop that has the smaller one in stock. Call or email nearby bike shops and ask if they have the smaller frame available. Try REI if there is one near you. They the Townie models on sale through next Monday and I doubt they would sell you one that doesn't fit. If you are a member (lifetime $20) you get a rebate at the end of the year.

After looking at the Electra Townie at REI, I see only one frame size. You might also try other brands that have similar designs. I'm no expert on this type of bike as it isn't "my cup of tea". Look at Performance Bikes for similar designs https://www.performancebike.com/webap...&storeId=10052
Old 05-25-17, 09:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You mean 24" wheels and tires..

A category of Crank Forward bikes is now in many bike brands catalog of model-types.

It is as if a very shallow seat angle, so you get leg extension to push the pedals, but the seat is low to stop flat footed.

.... kind of like a motorcycle..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-25-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 05:50 PM
Tonrob

Bikes: Jamis, Giant, Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat Footed Townie ??

Originally Posted by KnitnZen
Hi,

I have bad knees and hip pain and am interested in getting a bike.

I have been reading up on the Electra Townie and it sounds great. I went to a bike shop in town today that sells them and tried one out.

They did not have the smaller model but I tried the full size 7D. In order to have "flat feet" they had to lower the seat as far is they could and, in fact, he said to truly get there he'd need to remove the rear reflector.

Then, when riding it, we found I could not fully extend my legs which might put some strain on my knees so he raised the seat higher, which meant I could only touch the ground on tiptoes, which I would prefer to feel more secure than that.

I asked about the smaller 24" option that is available, so I could try that as a point of comparison. They did not have one in stock for me to try but he said it would make no difference, I'd still have the same problem. He gave some explanation that I did not understand...I guess it did not make sense to me so I am not sure if he was correct or if he is confused or if he just wants me to choose from what they have in stock.

Does this make sense? Maybe he was saying that I'd be closer to the ground but no more able to extend my legs? I am not sure.
I had to join this forum because I am going through the EXACT same knee and hip issues. I did purchase a Townie yesterday for health reasons -- March 2021. I too tried to put my foot down and could not once the seat was in the correct position for my leg extension. I tested the bike and my knees were level with my chest. I did own a Townie about 4 years ago (I did turn it back in) but I seem to remember how comfortable it was to ride. The paint was soft and the chain jammed into the gear sprocket among other issues. Now I purchased another (the 26" was what I was sold) and I'm not nearly as comfortable as I remember the other one to be, and I cannot put my foot down either. 5' 2".