Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Varia Volume

Old 05-05-21, 04:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Varia Volume

I'm going to do some research but in the meantime, I'll ask the BF brain trust. I recently bought a Varia RTL515 and can't hear the warnings. I am hearing challenged and do wear hearing aids but still can't hear the prompts. Like I said, I'll continue my research but haven't found a way to increase the volume. I've tried the Varia app and hoped the prompts would play through my hearing aids like some sounds do but the Varia tones did not. That would be the best solution.

Any ideas? It's funny because everyone around me hears the thing.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-06-21 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 05:06 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My wife has the varia because she is hearing impaired. She can't ride with her hearing aids because the wind noise is painful and she *REALLY* doesn't like being surprised by passing traffic.

The varia gives her lots of warning so the 1st clue isn't a hood/fender/bumper right beside her.

Hers is the combo with its own head unit as she doesn't ride with a cycling computer like I do. (The benefit for me is the varia will pair to her head unit and my Wahoo Roam at the same time so we both get alerts from her varia!)

She goes by the lights on the head unit as she can't hear the unit.

Might not directly help your with your sound question but you are not alone for sure. She can't hear the alerts but the varia allows her to ride on the road where she would have little/no confidence without it.
Old 05-05-21, 05:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
On my Edge 500 the surroundings had to be real quiet for me to hear the beeps it made for various things. I always assumed the sound it made must be at the same frequencies I have some hearing loss in. My Edge 530 I can here somewhat more reliably.

My son's Edge 1030 I can hear perfectly fine. And that is even when it's on his bike and I'm on my bike several feet away. He does use Varia and those are the beeps I notice the most from his device. I've connected his Varia to my Edge 530 sometimes and his 1030 still emits a more audible to me beep.

It does pretty much suck that Garmin doesn't let us choose the sound it emits. If nothing else, they need to include more frequencies in the beep they do produce. I have a similar problem with kitchen timers for cooking.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-05-21 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 06:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I bought the Varia because of vision loss in my left eye (WMD) and can no longer use a mirror. Seeing the moving dot on my 1030 is fine but being able to hear would be great, too.

I’ve honestly never heard the sound though people around me do. I had to watch a YouTube video to hear what it sounds like.

Old 05-05-21, 06:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I really wish they would make the sound level on the Edge units a setting you can change. When I looked it up, there are many complaints. Apparently it was too loud at one time so they "fixed" that by making it too quiet.
Old 05-06-21, 12:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I now have my Varia sending tones to my hearing aids via the Varia app on my iphone. For some reason, I didnt have system sounds playing through my hearing aids. After turning that on, I get the warnings from the Varia. Of course, now I have to wear my hearing aids when I ride which is something I usually don't do but will for awhile to try it out.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-06-21, 01:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Well, that was a bust. I got warnings for about 4 - 5 cars and then it quit giving me sounds through my hearing aids. I even stopped twice to check all of the settings and everything was set correctly. Meanwhile, I was still getting system sounds so the phone and hearing aid connection was good but the Varia quit sending warnings through.

It’s obviously not a stable system like a lot of Garmin stuff.

Old 05-06-21, 02:32 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Well, that was a bust. I got warnings for about 4 - 5 cars and then it quit giving me sounds through my hearing aids. I even stopped twice to check all of the settings and everything was set correctly. Meanwhile, I was still getting system sounds so the phone and hearing aid connection was good but the Varia quit sending warnings through.

I would conjecture that the problem is the bluetooth connection between your phone and the Varia and not the Varia itself. Depending on the phone, the bluetooth connections can be notoriously finicky.

I've had a Varia for a couple of years and I haven't had any reliability issues. This may not help you but I have it paired with a Wahoo computer which is plenty loud--but of course I haven't compared it to the volume level of a Garmin head unit and I also don't have any way of knowing if it would be loud enough for your particular circumstance. However that's one possibility.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-06-21, 05:31 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
I use the Ride with GPS app (full support for Varia) and it can be very loud. I also have a Fenix 6 watch, and it vibrates when the radar picks up a vehicle.
Old 05-06-21, 06:20 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by ksryder
I would conjecture that the problem is the bluetooth connection between your phone and the Varia and not the Varia itself. Depending on the phone, the bluetooth connections can be notoriously finicky.

I've had a Varia for a couple of years and I haven't had any reliability issues. This may not help you but I have it paired with a Wahoo computer which is plenty loud--but of course I haven't compared it to the volume level of a Garmin head unit and I also don't have any way of knowing if it would be loud enough for your particular circumstance. However that's one possibility.
I’ve had flaky BT connections before, too, especially when it involves my hearing aids. My 1030 was displaying properly and my Varia app was showing traffic but the tones quit playing through my hearing aids after just a short while.

Old 05-06-21, 06:36 PM
wnylogo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried adding a Bluetooth speaker?
Old 05-06-21, 11:28 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Can you use bone conduction headphones? They leave ear canals open.
Old 05-07-21, 07:13 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by wnylogo
Have you tried adding a Bluetooth speaker?
Originally Posted by 2_i
Can you use bone conduction headphones? They leave ear canals open.
I'd prefer to just get the sound from my 1030 instead of relying on BT with my phone. Another option is the Varia head unit which is $99 an works well but I hate to put one more thing on my bars.

Old 05-10-21, 04:46 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

My Varia decided that it would play nice today and sent signals to my hearing aids like a champ. It worked great. I can only hope it continues working.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-13-21, 12:42 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Someone should make a cheap BT "headphone" that is just a vibrating buzzer than can go anywhere, and buzzes whenever there's anything other than silence...
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 05-18-21, 05:13 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts

I do this all the time - hours on end - with my varia RTL315 and a single earbud in. I've tried it with AirPods, with a cheap (but waterproof) BT ear bud, AfterShokz bone conduction headsets and it all has worked without a problem. I suspect it's your phone or it's your hearing aids and they have an unreliable BT connection. Sometimes, if you delete the pairing to your phone and pair it again, the connection is better.

That said, maybe try a bone conduction headset. You may be able to hear that just fine and not need to use your hearing aids.

The other thing you could do is get an external speaker that clips to your jersey and pair that to your phone. You should be able to get a lot more volume out of that. Both of these have worked well for me:

waterproof speaker that attaches with a magnet. Pretty robust and tiny.
https://www.noxgear.com/39g

Dual speakers, probably louder than the 39G,
https://zuluaudio.com/product/wearab...ooth-speakers/

I tried both of these with my bike computer that does audio turn by turn directions when on a route. That bike computer (Hammerhead Karoo) also supports Varia and will play alerts through these speakers or a headset without needing the phone.

J.
Old 05-18-21, 05:53 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I’ve got the Varia playing reliably through my hearing aids. Working great the last week.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-18-21, 06:40 PM
JohnJ80

I’ve got the Varia playing reliably through my hearing aids. Working great the last week.
Good news.

There is something odd about that Garmin Varia app though. I run it on an iPhone and while it's running in the foreground, it blocks a lot of notifications from other apps. When I stop and the radar is shut off, all of a sudden tons of notifications come flooding through. It's strange, but I wonder if that wasn't related somehow.

J.
Old 05-19-21, 07:58 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Good news.

There is something odd about that Garmin Varia app though. I run it on an iPhone and while it's running in the foreground, it blocks a lot of notifications from other apps. When I stop and the radar is shut off, all of a sudden tons of notifications come flooding through. It's strange, but I wonder if that wasn't related somehow.

J.
Idk about IOS but Android is annoying about shutting off apps when the screen is off and/or when those apps are no longer in the foreground. I assume it's a battery saving feature which 99% of the time I appreciate but when it's something that I need to keep running it's annoying. So my Wahoo app has an annoying tendency to just shut off in the middle of the ride and then my wife can't view me on the live-tracking link I sent her.
Old 05-19-21, 08:01 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by ksryder
Idk about IOS but Android is annoying about shutting off apps when the screen is off and/or when those apps are no longer in the foreground. I assume it's a battery saving feature which 99% of the time I appreciate but when it's something that I need to keep running it's annoying. So my Wahoo app has an annoying tendency to just shut off in the middle of the ride and then my wife can't view me on the live-tracking link I sent her.
Yeah, phones are optimized for low battery consumption not for cycling.
Old 05-24-21, 10:52 PM
Mosman12

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unfortunately the sound isn’t the loudest but I always keep an eye on it and I depend more when I look to my 530
Old 05-31-21, 07:15 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I use a Varia with a Wahoo Element Bolt and the sound is loud and quite annoying. I’m constantly wishing I could turn off the sound (perhaps I can, somewhere in the settings). It beeps at me all the time during my commute. Maybe you need to switch to a different GPS?
Old 06-04-21, 06:32 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use the Varia with a Wahoo Bolt and I never hear the beep. I do rely on the lights but it would be more useful if the tone and or volume could be adjusted
Old 06-04-21, 12:01 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Alligator
I use a Varia with a Wahoo Element Bolt and the sound is loud and quite annoying. I’m constantly wishing I could turn off the sound (perhaps I can, somewhere in the settings). It beeps at me all the time during my commute. Maybe you need to switch to a different GPS?
Originally Posted by metalheart44
I use the Varia with a Wahoo Bolt and I never hear the beep. I do rely on the lights but it would be more useful if the tone and or volume could be adjusted
Both of these are Wahoo problems and not with the Varia. Talk to Wahoo. The beep volume comes from the bike computer or, in the case of the standalone Varia case, from the Varia head unit.
Old 06-04-21, 01:21 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Both of these are Wahoo problems and not with the Varia. Talk to Wahoo. The beep volume comes from the bike computer or, in the case of the standalone Varia case, from the Varia head unit.
You sure it's a Wahoo problem? I've used my Varia with my Bolt and it's loud. It might be a setting you need to choose somewhere. I don't remember because the Bolt is not my primary computer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.