Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Encoding for YT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 10:42 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Encoding for YT?

No matter how I try I find video shot with my GoPro Hero 9 Black when overlaid with Garmin Virb Edit and uploaded to Youtube looks like total ****.
I've tried shooting 5K30, 4K30, and 1080p30. Doesn't matter (except Virb Edit really can't handle anything beyond 1080p). Here's a clip; it's named the way it is since I originally uploaded it to demonstrate what happens when when power, cadence, and speed are all zero and the Edge has been configured to not record zeros - VE in particular interpolates linearly over the "dropout". The actual dropout is at a stop light at the very end. (The ticks are Di2 shifts, the beeps the Varia radar, the whirry sound Di2 front shifts.)

Has anyone here figured this out already? As can be seen any scenes with motion are beyond rate starved. Played locally it's very nice and clear. I've seen much better quality transcodes on YT so there has to be a trick.

"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 06-03-21, 03:23 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I've heard that YouTube treats 4K files better than 1080p.

Unfortunately, as you say Virb Edit doesn't support 4K so perhaps you can export to the highest quality setting that it offers, then use another video editor to upscale the file to 4K, then upload to YouTube?
Old 06-03-21, 02:14 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Hmm, I'll poke around with rescaling to 4K. I'm also thinking maybe 60 fps works better, with YT assuming it's high-motion... maybe 24/30 fps is assumed to be more static.
But rescaling to 4K VP9, that's an excellent idea!
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop