Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and hand signals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and hand signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-21, 11:29 AM
SteveG23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Interesting discussion. I only ever learned the signals given with the left hand, and have been using them ever since; but I learned them over 50 years ago. I now find my state requires that old system, except it allows for the alternative of using the right hand for the right-turn signal only. I may try to adopt that - not sure I like it better, for reasons others have discussed here, but it has its points - but note that it will be hard to get used to because I am right-handed and tend to rely more heavily on the right hand brake; and that's where the gearshift is, too. If I signal with my right I can't be braking with it, and/or shifting down with it as I slow down or stop for the turn.
Old 08-09-21, 11:37 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I always use right arm pointed right to signal a right turn. If I raise my left hand up to signal a right turn, people will likely think I'm waving at them or someone else. It's hard enough to get people to understand what pointing left or right means in the first place. I don't think they teach that much in driver's ed.
I mostly signal turns for other cyclists where left hand pointing for left turns and right for right turns plus left arm down for stop and the other more obscure signals for slowing, obstacles and so forth.

When I’m streets with cars, I almost only signal with my left arm because that’s easier for drivers to see. And they may remember the signals.

Sometimes it even helps.
Old 08-09-21, 11:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I am biking along a paved multi-use trail today and I see a rider coming towards me in the opposite lane. About 10 yards away he raises his right arm skyward. Clearly he is signaling a turn but I am confused as to which way. I'm thinking maybe he wants to go left which would cross my path but still at a safe distance. He turns to his right.
So, which way did the cyclist actually turn anyway?

OTOH, Pointing straight upward.. I see cyclists do this to point out a stop light that is changing (ie. yellow), especially in a group when there are riders behind them.
Old 08-09-21, 11:41 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Motor cycles are motor vehicles with the same ability as cyclists to use both arms...
Nope. If you remove your right hand from the handlebar on a motorcycle, you will slow down because you're not holding the throttle anymore. Hence, all signals are with left arm.
Old 08-09-21, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanO
Signals are left handed in the US. Cars and motorcycles didn’t always have turn signals. If the guy was riding with his right arm up I would assume he’s stretching.

NHTSA would disagree--right hand is a recommended alternative:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nt...andSignals.pdf
Old 08-09-21, 12:11 PM
kozmikarl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) I'm right-handed so my right hand controls the front brake. Consequently, whenever approaching an intersection, or any situation where braking might come in handy, my right hand stays on the brake hood. Consequently, all signalling is done with my left arm. If I were left-handed, my right hand would still control the front brake because in traffic I signal stops and turns; if you only have one hand to brake with, it better control the front brake, so I would still always signal with my left so I could front-brake simultaneously if needed.
2) In my state, no exception for bicycles is encoded in the signalling law. Consequently, here, legally, all signalling should be done with the left arm.
3) A solitary cyclist's right arm signal may be visible front and rear. It may also be ignored because no one knows what it means, but perhaps the accident report will stipulate that the cyclist had his/her arm out to the side. However, when there are cars or other bicycles before or behind the signaling cyclist *right arm signals are completely obscured*. In North America right turns don't cross traffic; I assume this discussion is presupposing North American roads, so right arm signals being approximately equivalent to no signal may not be such a huge deal, but taking your right hand off the handlebars to no purpose just before turning is a rookie mistake. Seriously, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but right arm signaling is what little kids do, and insisting that it makes sense is what little kids say, because little kids reference the entire world to themselves. Adult bicyclists use universal hand signals because they are signalling other people and understand those other people don't have access to their peculiar personal thought-process. Signaling is visual communication, which only works if the signal is visible and intelligible to others. If you don't feel like signaling, don't signal. But don't pretend sticking your arm out to the right is signaling. That's just something you do for yourself.
NB: I do use my right hand to point to pavement hazards as I pass them to the left. That signal is index finger pointing straight down and is generally only visible to the next rider in the peloton. It gives that following rider a fraction of a second warning to avoid the hazard. Hopefully, he/she will do the same and the entire line will pass safely. Brakes are not involved.
Old 08-09-21, 12:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
...so I signal to prevent getting rolled over.
Rats... It must be a real bugger ridding in the city. Stop, Go, Signal, Wait, Cross Walks, Traffic... No wonder there are cyclists that drive 40 miles to ride the roads and paths around my neighborhood.

And yes, when there is a car behind me I am signalling any way I can my intended direction, that's for sure...
Old 08-09-21, 12:27 PM
tom.moughan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am biking along a paved multi-use trail today and I see a rider coming towards me in the opposite lane. About 10 yards away he raises his right arm skyward. Clearly he is signaling a turn....
I most times raise my right arm skyward for most riders I see coming TOWARDS me on the trail..

.Just saying "Hello"
Old 08-09-21, 12:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by kozmikarl
1) I'm right-handed so my right hand controls the front brake. Consequently, whenever approaching an intersection, or any situation where braking might come in handy, my right hand stays on the brake hood. Consequently, all signalling is done with my left arm. If I were left-handed, my right hand would still control the front brake because in traffic I signal stops and turns; if you only have one hand to brake with, it better control the front brake, so I would still always signal with my left so I could front-brake simultaneously if needed.
2) In my state, no exception for bicycles is encoded in the signalling law. Consequently, here, legally, all signalling should be done with the left arm.
3) A solitary cyclist's right arm signal may be visible front and rear. It may also be ignored because no one knows what it means, but perhaps the accident report will stipulate that the cyclist had his/her arm out to the side. However, when there are cars or other bicycles before or behind the signaling cyclist *right arm signals are completely obscured*. In North America right turns don't cross traffic; I assume this discussion is presupposing North American roads, so right arm signals being approximately equivalent to no signal may not be such a huge deal, but taking your right hand off the handlebars to no purpose just before turning is a rookie mistake. Seriously, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but right arm signaling is what little kids do, and insisting that it makes sense is what little kids say, because little kids reference the entire world to themselves. Adult bicyclists use universal hand signals because they are signalling other people and understand those other people don't have access to their peculiar personal thought-process. Signaling is visual communication, which only works if the signal is visible and intelligible to others. If you don't feel like signaling, don't signal. But don't pretend sticking your arm out to the right is signaling. That's just something you do for yourself.
NB: I do use my right hand to point to pavement hazards as I pass them to the left. That signal is index finger pointing straight down and is generally only visible to the next rider in the peloton. It gives that following rider a fraction of a second warning to avoid the hazard. Hopefully, he/she will do the same and the entire line will pass safely. Brakes are not involved.

If the person can't see my right arm signal, chances are about 99.9% that they don't have any reason to care if I turn my bike right. I point to the right when I'm shifting lanes to the right or if I'm turning right from the center of the lane for some reason. The vehicle behind me (i.e., the one I care about seeing the signal) will see it fine if it's relevant.

No one in New England I've ever seen uses the left-handed right turn signal. I'd fully expect that if it were used around here, the likelihood that anyone would recognize it for what it is is about zero.

You lost me at "I'm right handed, so my right hand controls the front brake." You've made an eccentric cabling choice. Probably 99.9% of bikes are cabled the other way, so by your logic, the vast majority of cyclists should use their right hands to signal.

And according to NHTSA, a right hand extended by a bicyclist means a right turn. According to you, NHTSA is staffed by children?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-09-21, 01:06 PM
kozmikarl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Rats... It must be a real bugger ridding in the city.
Oh, I almost never ride in town. That's hardly even riding. But out here in the wilderness there are still intersections, occasional stop signs, road construction and plenty of cars moving quickly. Declaring intentions is useful.
Another aspect of this is the benefit of earning the respect of automobile drivers. Some: never going to happen. Some: already bike riders, or were, or their kids are. Many: slightly annoyed, slightly alarmed by the close proximity of relatively slow and relatively vulnerable bicycles on the road. They can go either way—treat bicyclists as different but legitimate vehicle operators, or treat bicyclists as foolhardy, frivolous, fat-headed obstructionists. How bicyclists are treated on the road partly depends on how they behave on the road. Right-arm signalling is one of several ways bicyclists can demonstrate ignorance of or indifference to rules and protocols incumbent on all other vehicle operators, encouraging those operators otherwise on the fence decide that bicycles are not really legitimate road vehicles, not really deserving of courtesy or respect.
Old 08-09-21, 01:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
1) I'm right-handed so my right hand controls the front brake.
I'm right-handed. I've never ridden a bicycle with the front brake on the right side. I've owned more than a few bikes over more than a few years.

The only people I've known who move the front brake to the right side are guys who also ride motorcycles.
Old 08-09-21, 01:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Seriously, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence ....
No worries - you're only insulting your own.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-21, 01:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

...don't pretend sticking your arm out to the right is signaling.
In the state I live in (as well as many other states, it seems), vehicle code permits cyclists to use their right hand to signal a right turn. No pretending about it. It's a legal signal.
Old 08-09-21, 01:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by livedarklions

This entire thread was off the rails by post #2. The OP's subject is about pointing one's arm up in the air, not to the left or the right.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-09-21, 01:48 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This entire thread was off the rails by post #2. The OP's subject is about pointing one's arm up in the air, not to the left or the right.
Yep Agree.

Old 08-09-21, 01:48 PM
kozmikarl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You lost me at "I'm right handed, so my right hand controls the front brake."
Can't help losing you.
Rear brakes are close to useless, the more so the harder the braking. Front brakes need the best possible modulation, quickest access and sometimes greatest hand strength. That means right-handed people are best served braking front with the right hand. Other considerations could overrule that but the main reason so many bikes are set up right-to-rear is the fear of endos from locking the front wheel, the idea being that the stronger hand should control the weaker brake. That, of course, is paranoia based on fiction. I tear around on a single speed that only has one brake and can't raise the rear tire off the pavement if I try, and if I could, and if there were a rear brake, it wouldn't be close to useless, it would be completely useless. I'm sorry that loses you but it remains logical: it's best for the most capable hand to control the most capable brake, but whichever hand is chosen that hand should stay near that brake lever as much as possible. Signaling with both arms means that for some turns braking simultaneously invokes the front brake, other turns the rear. Consistent brake response mandates always braking with the same brake, which means always signaling with the other arm. So which of your two arms is the smarter choice for signaling and which for braking? It's not complicated. Your left arm, on right-drive roads, is always more visible, sometimes incomparably more visible. That means the strongest, surest, best controlled braking while signaling is right-to-front braking.
I don't have statistics. All I know is that I and many knowledgeable cyclists brake right-to-front. That's intelligent for right-handed people even if they never signal. It's intelligent for everybody that signals consistently with the left arm (unless they ride so slowly that rear braking is sufficient). The rest...

Last edited by kozmikarl; 08-09-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-09-21, 02:50 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I signal left turns when it seems necessary, but rarely single right turns. Unless of course, for some reason i deem it necessary.
Old 08-09-21, 02:52 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts

Just because you can it doesn’t mean you should confuse everyone with a different signal just because you’re on a bicycle. I still don’t see right arm extended upward on that chart.
Old 08-09-21, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AlanO
Just because you can it doesn’t mean you should confuse everyone with a different signal just because you’re on a bicycle. I still don’t see right arm extended upward on that chart.

No one signals right hand extended upwards, where did you get that?
Old 08-09-21, 02:59 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
didn't the Babe do that?
Old 08-09-21, 03:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
didn't the Babe do that?
Who is she?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-21, 03:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Can't help losing you.
Rear brakes are close to useless, the more so the harder the braking. Front brakes need the best possible modulation, quickest access and sometimes greatest hand strength. That means right-handed people are best served braking front with the right hand. Other considerations could overrule that but the main reason so many bikes are set up right-to-rear is the fear of endos from locking the front wheel, the idea being that the stronger hand should control the weaker brake. That, of course, is paranoia based on fiction. I tear around on a single speed that only has one brake and can't raise the rear tire off the pavement if I try, and if I could, and if there were a rear brake, it wouldn't be close to useless, it would be completely useless. I'm sorry that loses you but it remains logical: it's best for the most capable hand to control the most capable brake, but whichever hand is chosen that hand should stay near that brake lever as much as possible. Signaling with both arms means that for some turns braking simultaneously invokes the front brake, other turns the rear. Consistent brake response mandates always braking with the same brake, which means always signaling with the other arm. So which of your two arms is the smarter choice for signaling and which for braking? It's not complicated. Your left arm, on right-drive roads, is always more visible, sometimes incomparably more visible. That means the strongest, surest, best controlled braking while signaling is right-to-front braking.
I don't have statistics. All I know is that I and many knowledgeable cyclists brake right-to-front. That's intelligent for right-handed people even if they never signal. It's intelligent for everybody that signals consistently with the left arm (unless they ride so slowly that rear braking is sufficient). The rest...
Ridiculous bull$#!+. Both hands are capable of precise dexterity when trained to do so. Have you ever played an instrument that requires both hands? Spend a small amount of time on a MTB in demanding terrain, and you quickly learn that careful modulation of both brakes is a valuable skill. A skilled road rider will also use both brakes in varying degrees, depending on the needs of the moment.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-09-21 at 03:41 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 08-09-21, 03:36 PM
Vixen21

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am biking along a paved multi-use trail today and I see a rider coming towards me in the opposite lane. About 10 yards away he raises his right arm skyward. Clearly he is signaling a turn but I am confused as to which way. I'm thinking maybe he wants to go left which would cross my path but still at a safe distance. He turns to his right.
I appreciate his use of signals (most people don't) but I was really confused about the straight up arm. If he wanted to go right, why not just stick his arm out to the right? A signal anyone could accurately interpret.
It took me a minute to consider that while driving an automobile without a turn signal, the driver could stick out their left arm signaling a left hand turn but you can't point to the right so the raised arm is used instead.
But on a bike?
I did a little research and the League of American Bicylists recommends either method. From their site:
"Right Turn: Fully extend your right arm out to the side or bend your left arm up at a right angle with your hand flat."
That advice makes no sense to me. If I am making a left hand turn in front of you (assuming a safe distance) I will point left.
If I am going to the right, I'll point right. This straight up business defines ambiguity.
What do you think?
I agree with point and shoot signaling on all two wheel vehicles with no visual upper body obstructions.
As in all signaling,
1. asking permission to turn
2. and then when safe make turn.
Old 08-09-21, 03:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by spelger
didn't the Babe do that?
How else do you get the bartender's attention?
Old 08-09-21, 03:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

How else do you get the bartender's attention?
I'm proudly ambidextrous in that particular skill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.