Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

any free smart trainer app?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 08-19-21, 01:04 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

I purchased an H3 ( used with zwift ) last year during the winter and used it often. Between sunset at 6/7 pm, rain and all the bad air we had from fires. When the air cleared, it stopped raining and sunset was passed 7pm I stopped using my indoor trainer all together. I was just throwing money away on my subscription. Yeah I paused after I had probably given them 5+ months.

Is there any free app I can use with my H3? I know it will not be as good as zwift with all the roads, pretty video and social aspect. It would just be nice to use for simple a simple ride like the dumb bikes in the gym. Go up a hill, down hill, on the flat etc. Like an old stair master or something.
Old 08-19-21, 04:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
You might check out Golden Cheetah. I have used it to control my kickr, but it uses the standard control.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-19-21, 04:49 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by unterhausen
You might check out Golden Cheetah. I have used it to control my kickr, but it uses the standard control.

thanks. I am watching some videos on it now. looks good. will have to try it this weekend.

Old 08-20-21, 04:43 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I purchased an H3 ( used with zwift ) last year during the winter and used it often. Between sunset at 6/7 pm, rain and all the bad air we had from fires. When the air cleared, it stopped raining and sunset was passed 7pm I stopped using my indoor trainer all together. I was just throwing money away on my subscription. Yeah I paused after I had probably given them 5+ months.

Is there any free app I can use with my H3? I know it will not be as good as zwift with all the roads, pretty video and social aspect. It would just be nice to use for simple a simple ride like the dumb bikes in the gym. Go up a hill, down hill, on the flat etc. Like an old stair master or something.
Two possible options are:

RGT has a free option: https://www.rgtcycling.com/
You can ride in a virtual world with bots and other riders like in Zwift.

If you have a Garmin unit, it is possible to let the Garmin control the trainer resistance and ride a route where it will adjust the resistance/incline accordingly.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 08-20-21, 06:47 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Another vote for RGT - it's a little odd in some ways if you're used to Zwift, but is as close a replacement as you'll get for free.
Likes For Viich:
Old 08-20-21, 09:43 PM
sean.hwy

I have a Garmin 1030 plus. I will check out RGT.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-21, 10:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

how badly does RGT use the battery on your mobile device?
Old 08-21-21, 06:14 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
how badly does RGT use the battery on your mobile device?
I've only tried RGT a few times - but it didn't seem all that much worse than the Zwift Companion app. One of the drawbacks is that you absolutely NEED to have two devices, you need to run the app on your phone plus the screen app on a tablet, computer (or other phone, I guess, though I've not tried that)
Old 08-21-21, 07:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Zwift companion app burns through my phone's battery pretty badly. A two hour ride would definitely be enough to make the phone go into low power mode. It would be a pain to hook it up to a charger. I don't quite understand how they do it.
So I almost never use it.
Old 08-21-21, 09:04 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Zwift companion app burns through my phone's battery pretty badly. A two hour ride would definitely be enough to make the phone go into low power mode. It would be a pain to hook it up to a charger. I don't quite understand how they do it.
So I almost never use it.
the zwift companion app does not really offer more than being able to see the bigger picture (think map). aside from that i really have no use for it.

i really do not like how rgt requires two apps. i do like the more vivid colors in rgt though.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-21-21, 09:08 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy

definitely not as good as zwift but it gets the job done on a budget ($0). its a crappy little program i wrote and i do still use it from time to time.

https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...plication.html
Likes For spelger: