Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago ID ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago ID ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 02:06 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Colnago ID ?

Trying to pin down a Date of Manufacture on this Colnago . . . ?
Got Pics from seller & was told it might be a 'Nuovo Mexico Model'.
Used this site to gather info, but some of the details aren't available as the bike is in transit: Velo-Retro: Colnago Super Timeline
Does have 126mm rear DO Spacing.

Thx in advance...
Old 08-29-21, 03:59 PM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
According to this site: https://www.cycling-obsession.com/ho...-nuovo-mexico/ the Nuevo Mexico became available in 1983, and was only available for "a few short years" (I thought that years was usually all the same length!).
The early version had flat capped seatstays as yours, the later ones had rounded seatstay caps. So if it´s a Nuevo Mexico, probaply 1983/1984.
The article says, that a Nuevo Mexico should have two crimps on the top tube, and four on the downtube. Clearly the pictured frame has then on the top tube, and I think I see four on the downtube, but better pictures of the downtube would be nice.
Unlike the Super, which have indentations on the chainstays, the Nuevo Mexico should not have indentations on the chainstays. So it also check out on that.
So I´d say 1983/1984 Nuevo Mexico, IF you can confirm four crimps on the downtube. But a serial number might be a good idea, if you want an exact dating.
Likes For Highmass:
Old 08-29-21, 04:22 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Originally Posted by Highmass
According to this site: https://www.cycling-obsession.com/ho...-nuovo-mexico/ the Nuevo Mexico became available in 1983, and was only available for "a few short years" (I thought that years was usually all the same length!).
The early version had flat capped seat stays as yours, the later ones had rounded seatstay caps. So if it´s a Nuevo Mexico, probaply 1983/1984.
The article says, that a Nuevo Mexico should have two crimps on the top tube, and four on the downtube. Clearly the pictured frame has then on the top tube, and I think I see four on the downtube, but better pictures of the downtube would be nice.
Unlike the Super, which have indentations on the chain stays, the Nuevo Mexico should not have indentations on the chainstays. So it also check out on that.
So I´d say 1983/1984 Nuevo Mexico, IF you can confirm four crimps on the downtube. But a serial number might be a good idea, if you want an exact dating.
Yes, it does have crimps on the top & down tubes & is w/o indents on the insides of the chain stays. I can see the crimps when I enlarge the pics.
Good enuff, that pretty much nails it . . . .Thx!
Old 08-29-21, 04:58 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
1983 Vintage Colnago

I've never seen that style of BB shell before.

Until I read down a saw the part about crimped top and down tubes, the frame looked like a dead ringer for my 1983 Super:

There's a lot of variability in the features on the Mexico and Nuevo Mexico frames plus they're more scarce so it's hard to compare them.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-30-21, 03:09 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
I'd guess at a 1984/5 Nuovo Mexico too.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 08-30-21, 08:04 AM
1 Lugnut

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I'd guess at a 1984/5 Nuovo Mexico too.
Thx Gary,

What had me a bit perplexed was the difference tween the titles of the 2 Mexico models.
The 70’s were ‘Nuovo’ & the newer 80’s models are ‘Nuevo’ (or new).
Bike is actually not coming to me, but to my riding partner who isn’t a member here. BIke is a gift for his wife. I posted the question for him…
Old 08-30-21, 10:14 AM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Thx Gary,

What had me a bit perplexed was the difference tween the titles of the 2 Mexico models.
The 70’s were ‘Nuovo’ & the newer 80’s models are ‘Nuevo’ (or new).
Bike is actually not coming to me, but to my riding partner who isn’t a member here. BIke is a gift for his wife. I posted the question for him…
No, the seventies model was NOT Nuevo. The seventies model was just Mexico, see https://www.cycling-obsession.com/ho...olnago-mexico/
The revised (Or new) model released in 1983, with the crimped tubes was the Nuevo Mexico.
So in other words Colnago made a Mexico, and when they modified it, they added a "new" to the name, to differentiate between the two versions. I don´t find it confusing.
It´s a lot like Campagnolo, who added a Nuevo to the Record name, when the rd went from steel to aluminium. Makes sense to me, as it makes it easier to differentiate between the different versions.
Old 08-30-21, 11:01 AM
1 Lugnut

No, the seventies model was NOT Nuevo. The seventies model was just Mexico, see https://www.cycling-obsession.com/ho...olnago-mexico/
The revised (Or new) model released in 1983, with the crimped tubes was the Nuevo Mexico.
So in other words Colnago made a Mexico, and when they modified it, they added a "new" to the name, to differentiate between the two versions. I don´t find it confusing.
It´s a lot like Campagnolo, who added a Nuevo to the Record name, when the rd went from steel to aluminum. Makes sense to me, as it makes it easier to differentiate between the different versions.
It got somewhat confusing for me over a phone call from my riding partner. Once reading the ‘obsession’ link, I see the differences. I had not seen that link b4 !
I’m a Colnago fan! My 1st real racer was an '83 Superissimo (58 cm) in Azzurro Blue. Rode if for years. I regrettably sold to a member.

I now have a Super Model (58 cm) that my partner gave me cuz he thought it was too small for him? He’s fussy 😎

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-04-21 at 11:32 PM. Reason: ...add pic
Old 08-30-21, 01:42 PM
Highmass

It got somewhat confusing for me over a phone call from my riding partner. Once reading the ‘obsession’ link, I see the differences. I had not seen that link b4 !
I’m a Colnago fan! My 1st racing one was a '83 Superissimo (58 cm) like yours…in Azzurro Blue. Road if for years. I regrettably sold to a member.

I now have a Super Model (58 cm) that my partner gave me cuz he thought it was too small for him? He’s fussy 😎
Just to avoid any confusion. Cycling obsession is NOT my site. I do not own a Colnago (Although I woulden´t mind a Merckx, a nuevo Mexico or a Saronni). I only referred to the site, because I think it has a lot of info that seems well researched to me.
Old 08-30-21, 01:54 PM
1 Lugnut

Just to avoid any confusion. Cycling obsession is NOT my site. I do not own a Colnago (Although I woulden´t mind a Merckx, a nuevo Mexico or a Saronni). I only referred to the site, because I think it has a lot of info that seems well researched to me.
l understand & new that.

btw: the fellow that bought the Nuevo Colnago has 6 Merckx bikes…
Old 08-31-21, 02:32 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Nuevo is Spanish
Nuovo is Italian

So an Italian bike with a Spanish name???

Not sure but I think that part of Mexico connection had to do with the celebration of Eddy Merckx's 1 hour Record in Mexico City on a Windsor badged specially built Colnago.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-31-21, 02:57 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Re-written: Hi 1 Lugnut, I think the actual Colnago designation is 'Nuovo' but that's a very minor point. Personally, I think this is THE model, from that era, to have as it emulates the frame made famous by Beppe Sarroni. The reason I would place it as a 1983 build is the fact that the seat stay caps used on this frame came before the fluted seat stay caps found on the Mexicos of the 1983/4/5 era The bottom bracket is unusual to me but looks like a later version. As verktyg (below) and Colnago states, frame changes may take place without notice. It's a lovely frame.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 09-01-21 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-31-21, 04:11 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Lots Of Undocumented Features - It's An Italian Bike!

Originally Posted by onyerleft
The various inconsistencies lead me to believe that it could be a counterfeit.
Le specifiche sono soggette a modifiche senza preavviso

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 08-31-21, 07:28 AM
1 Lugnut

Found this ‘83 Nuevo Mexico on the net via Drillium’s Flickr Acct (lot’s of pics)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/303310...7624296124861/

To further add to my query: looking at my Red Super last nite, that I posted a pic of above, I noticed that there are no ‘indents’ on the insides of the chain stays…!
In actuality, it’s really a Mexico model & not a Super…hmm?

So true…
(Specifications are subject to change without notice)
Old 09-01-21, 03:51 AM
Gary Fountain

To further add to my query: looking at my Red Super last nite, that I posted a pic of above, I noticed that there are no ‘indents’ on the insides of the chain stays…!
In actuality, it’s really a Mexico model & not a Super…hmm?

So true…
(Specifications are subject to change without notice)
Does your Super have a tubular rear fork bridge? I think the earlier versions had a fork bridge without crimps on the inside of the rear forks.
Old 09-01-21, 07:39 AM
1 Lugnut

Does your Super have a tubular rear fork bridge? I think the earlier versions had a fork bridge without crimps on the inside of the rear forks.
I believe it’s the ‘Tubular’ type…
Old 09-01-21, 06:13 PM
Gary Fountain

Sorry 1 Lugnut, I meant the chainstay bridge like the one in this photo:

(Thanks Steel-Vintage.com)

This particular example has chainstay crimps but earlier examples sometimes didn't have crimps.

By the way 1 Lugnut, your Super looks great and I think the Flite saddle and what looks like an old Elite bottle cage are nice touches. I'd guess your frame to be early 80's, say 1983/4. I'll put my money on 1984. I like the curved front fork blades with the sloping fork crown but this fork seems to have been introduced in 1983 with the Nuovo Mexico model which might help to date your frame. It's not a very exact science dating Colnago frames. I once bought a new 1991 Colnago frame and was offered either a straight bladed front fork or a curved bladed front fork. Who know what the provenance of many frames actually is?

I'd suggest that your frame is a re-paint and a mid 70's decal set has been used to finish it off. Cyclemondo sells this decal set. The Columbus decal comes with this set and was used in the 70's. By the way, I don't want to suggest that a re-finished frame is not appropriate - sometimes a re-paint is very necessary.

And.....is that a 1995 (approx) Campy Record Groupset? Topped off with Cinelli bars (guessing Campione del Mondo) and a Cinelli 1R stem - lovely. Must be a very nice bike to ride! A bike I would be proud to own. I do own a very similar mid 80's Colnago and I love it.

Do you know the build date of your Colnago Super? Was I close with my estimation?

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 09-01-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 09:52 PM
1 Lugnut

Sorry 1 Lugnut, I meant the chainstay bridge like the one in this photo:

(Thanks Steel-Vintage.com)

This particular example has chainstay crimps but earlier examples sometimes didn't have crimps.

By the way 1 Lugnut, your Super looks great and I think the Flite saddle and what looks like an old Elite bottle cage are nice touches. I'd guess your frame to be early 80's, say 1983/4. I'll put my money on 1984. I like the curved front fork blades with the sloping fork crown but this fork seems to have been introduced in 1983 with the Nuovo Mexico model which might help to date your frame. It's not a very exact science dating Colnago frames. I once bought a new 1991 Colnago frame and was offered either a straight bladed front fork or a curved bladed front fork. Who know what the provenance of many frames actually is?

I'd suggest that your frame is a re-paint and a mid 70's decal set has been used to finish it off. Cyclemondo sells this decal set. The Columbus decal comes with this set and was used in the 70's. By the way, I don't want to suggest that a re-finished frame is not appropriate - sometimes a re-paint is very necessary.

And.....is that a 1995 (approx) Campy Record Groupset? Topped off with Cinelli bars (guessing Campione del Mondo) and a Cinelli 1R stem - lovely. Must be a very nice bike to ride! A bike I would be proud to own. I do own a very similar mid 80's Colnago and I love it.

Do you know the build date of your Colnago Super? Was I close with my estimation?
Thx Gary,

I have those bottle cages on all my bikes. Performance Bikes carried them. Made in France IIRC?

As you mentioned, the bike was refinished & that might be a replacement fork…dunno?
The seller is from the Santa Cruz, Ca area & that is what he does…restores classic bikes.
1945ford is the sellers eBay handle

I usually prefer a chrome crown, but not the case here. It was a gift from my friend & although I’m not keen the red color, I can’t complain….

When I first got the bike, I posed the question here & the response was ‘early 80’s Super.’ Then, all the variables starting filtering in as to whether it was, a Super, a Mexico, or even…a Nuevo Mexico?
I’m content believing it’s a ‘83 or ‘84 Super with the final details you’ve given me…thx much 😉
Have not delved into Colnago’s serial #’s…yet.

Bar & Stem ~ Cinelli Cham Del Mondo - 1R stem. Brake Calipers are Campy Chorus
C-Record Cmpnts: Crankset (53X39), Carbon Ergos, Derailleurs,Seatpost, Hdset, BB & Hubs.
Rims; FIR Sirius (32H), Veloflex Crit tubulars. Ti 12-26 cogs.

Bike is fairly light & am I to understand that the Columbus tubing was thinner and lighter early on than the next to come …SL tubing ?

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-02-21 at 06:10 PM.
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 09-01-21, 11:56 PM
Gary Fountain

Yes, probably SL tubing - which is REALLY nice. Some say that they have cracked the Colnago serial number code but I've never looked into it myself. As far as I'm concerned, the Colnago serial numbers have no real logical sequence - but I may be wrong. I'm with you - I would be satisfied with a 'Super' diagnosis. If it does turn out to be a Mexico, all the betted. I would guess that the front fork is original. With my Colnago's, I have settled on build dates that are approximates and I am content with that although many years ago that would have concerned me. Thanks for your component rundown - it is a well put together bike.

As for the weight, my 1982 58 x 57cm Colnago Super/Mexico (probably SL) is quite light at 21 1/2 lbs built up with mostly Campy Super Record. It's one of my lightest bikes. I have found that Colnago's are generally a little heavier than some other brands but lighter than others - some where in the middle which suits me. I just love the Colnago geometry as it really suits me and my riding style - I think I have average body proportions.

Your Superissimo was/is spectacular - what a great bike. I can relate to your feelings of loss and regret.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 09-02-21 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-02-21, 09:46 AM
1 Lugnut

Yes, probably SL tubing - which is REALLY nice. Some say that they have cracked the Colnago serial number code but I've never looked into it myself. As far as I'm concerned, the Colnago serial numbers have no real logical sequence - but I may be wrong. I'm with you - I would be satisfied with a 'Super' diagnosis. If it does turn out to be a Mexico, all the betted. I would guess that the front fork is original. With my Colnago's, I have settled on build dates that are approximates and I am content with that although many years ago that would have concerned me. Thanks for your component rundown - it is a well put together bike.

As for the weight, my 1982 58 x 57cm Colnago Super/Mexico (probably SL) is quite light at 21 1/2 lbs built up with mostly Campy Super Record. It's one of my lightest bikes. I have found that Colnago's are generally a little heavier than some other brands but lighter than others - some where in the middle which suits me. I just love the Colnago geometry as it really suits me and my riding style - I think I have average body proportions.

Your Superissimo was/is spectacular - what a great bike. I can relate to your feelings of loss and regret.
Ha…

Looking back at previous posts of mine, I noticed that it was not you that has the similar Supperissimo, but SJX426 member. Sorry for the wrong X-reference!

The Campy cmpnts on this Super of mine came off of a 90’s Cinelli Corsa I had. Somehow, a guy in Toronto, Canada saw it on the forum here & coaxed me into selling it (frame) to him. I relented & off it went. It was 59cm c-c & I actually prefer riding a bit smaller frame now...

The 90’s Cinelli SC’s were actually made by Giovanni Losa. I found this out because, I now have a couple of Swiss Titan bikes that were also made in Italy by G Losa, who does framebuilding for other hi-end bike companies in Italy.
These 2 Titans are currently my favorite rides…!

The blue Titan is 56 cm & the smokey colored one is 57 cm. Weighs 20.5 lbs
Don't ask me what years these Titans were made...lol. My only guess is from the late 80's as they were leftover warehouse stock that wound up on eBay. Some sold for a song. Both came w/o forks which I happen to have from past ventures. I needed to have the gray bike's fork chromed.

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-02-21 at 04:19 PM. Reason: ...add pics
Old 09-02-21, 06:03 PM
Gary Fountain

Hi 1 Lugnut, haha, my Superissimo is red and it does look very much like your Super and it's a re-paint. A lovely bike to ride.

I must say I was shocked to read of you selling your Cinelli - Cinelli's are my 'grail' bikes. I'm being buried with mine. Haha. I also have to agree that it's pretty pointless owning a bike that just doesn't fit you. I can't say just how many very highly desirable bikes I have parted with just because they don't fit me - so I do understand. Besides, your 2 Titans are most desirable too - what lovely bike and both beautifully kitted out.

1985 585mm x 575mm SPX tubed Cinelli Supercorsa with last gen Super Record with Cobalto brakes and a Cinelli V.I.P set. The geometry is very upright - 74 degree seat tube with a 75 1/2 degree head tube - very criterium and very twitchy but I still love it. It does take a little more concentration to ride it and keep it on a straight course. It weighs 21 1/2 lbs as you see it.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 09-02-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 06:53 PM
1 Lugnut

Hi 1 Lugnut, haha, my Superissimo is red and it does look very much like your Super and it's a re-paint. A lovely bike to ride.

1985 585mm x 575mm SPX tubed Cinelli Supercorsa with last gen Super Record and a Cinelli V.I.P set. The geometry is very upright - 74 degree seat tube with a 75 1/2 degree head tube - very criterium and very twitchy but I still love it. It weighs 21 1/2 lb without the bottle.
👀👀👀 . . . You are def in the Colnago camp….WoW - Nice bevy of birds you have there.
All ride fine I’m sure?

Selling the Cinelli was bittersweet for me. Beautiful looking & riding bike. It handed like my Titans & understandingly so. My issue with it & you might think it silly (besides it being 59 cm), but I had lost my respect w/ it…due the the guy I initially bought it from. Kind of a long story that’s not worth getting into. Unbelievable great bike mechanic that turned out to be a worm.

In any event, I pd $900 new for it & sold it for $1500 to the Canadian. He rode for a bit, then slapped a set of Shamal wheels on & dumped it for $5k. Said it it was a bit too small for him. Prolly saw a chance to turn a buck…dunno
For such a fancy bike, the paint chipped easily which should not have happened?

Cheers, Rich

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-02-21 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 01:30 AM
Gary Fountain

Wow, isn't it 'funny' how human interactions can effect how you think about something inanimate such as a bicycle - both positive and negative. Your money trail following the Cinelli is really interesting too. You seemed to initially find a real bargain.

As for the paint chipping - I found my Cinelli to stand-up against chips quite well ..... but ...... where the paint butts up against a chrome surface is where my Cinelli's paint job is breaking down. I have done a temporary 'fix' but it's only temporary. I will have to repaint it properly very soon

I do have 7 Colnago's mainly because it was the brand I really lusted after but couldn't afford back in the day. Love them all but i'm getting the age where they need to be passed on and loved by their new carer.

Best wishes, Gary.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-16-22 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 09:42 AM
1 Lugnut

Wow, isbn't it 'funny' how human interactions can effect how you think about something inanimate such as a bicycle - both positive and negative. Your money trail following the Cinelli is really interesting too. You seemed to initially find a real bargain.

I do have 7 Colnago's mainly because it was the brand I really lusted after but couldn't afford back in the day. Love them all but i'm getting the age where they need to be passed on and loved by their new carer.

Best wishes, Gary.
I bought the Cinelli from the mechanic who had travelled to Italy & purchased them there…then had them shipped back home. Think he bought about 10 frames? At the time, it was a good deal. He’d also prep them & have them detailed by a painter w/ accent lines where the chrome meets the paint. A nice touch. Sold them to lots of friends in our biking circle.
I will say, he was def the best bike mechanic I have ever used & usually do most my own work on bikes, ‘cept for BB tap, facing & chasing Always have for over 45 yrs. Goldie could do it all & only serviced Campy.. Didn’t care for any of the Japanese products. He was the fanatical quirky type...lol
Old 09-03-21, 10:00 AM
1 Lugnut

Wow, isbn't it 'funny' how human interactions can effect how you think about something inanimate such as a bicycle - both positive and negative. Your money trail following the Cinelli is really interesting too. You seemed to initially find a real bargain.

Best wishes, Gary.
I bought the Cinelli from the mechanic who had travelled to Italy & purchased them there…then had them shipped back home. Think he bought about 10 frames? At the time, it was a good deal. He’d also prep them & have them detailed by a painter w/ accent lines where the chrome meets the paint. A nice touch. Sold them to lots of friends in our biking circle.This was back in the 90’s

I will say, he was def the best bike mechanic I have ever used. I usually do most my own work on bikes, ‘cept for BB tap, facing & chasing Always have for over 45 yrs. ‘Goldie’ could do it all & only serviced Campy.. He did not care for any of the Japanese bike products. He was the fanatical, quirky type...lol

At 75 yrs/old; I’m in the same camp as you. Body’s slowly catching up with me & I can only do so much these days,…but just keep plugging along 🤣

Best wishes 2U2
Rich

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-03-21 at 09:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.