Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do french-threaded single speed freewheels exist? (bmx?) if so, where...

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 10-06-07, 05:20 PM
tad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm working on converting my peugeot UO8 to single speed. Unfortunately, I pulled the freewheel and it is apparently french-threaded (the guy at my LBS said there would be markings on the hub if the threads were different from the country of origin, which there weren't).

So, now I'm in search of a single speed, french-threaded freewheel (16T is fine). Does anyone know if they exist? And if they do, where I can get one?
Old 10-06-07, 05:21 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dang french
Old 10-06-07, 05:23 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find a new wheel
Old 10-06-07, 05:37 PM
666pack
tarck bike.com exile

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah for real. just get a wheel that isn't french threaded and your life will be so much easier.

i don't know the answer to your question if you decide to tough it out. i would just get a new wheel.
Old 10-06-07, 05:38 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure it isn't not-french threaded first.. that no marking thing doesn't sound right to me
Old 10-06-07, 07:29 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check to see if it is french threaded or metric freewheel thread they do make metric freewheels for bmx in small tooth counts acs makes a few as well as dicta
Old 10-06-07, 10:48 PM
tad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trons
make sure it isn't not-french threaded first.. that no marking thing doesn't sound right to me
good point, i'm going to try and thread on an english freewheel tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Retem
check to see if it is french threaded or metric freewheel thread they do make metric freewheels for bmx in small tooth counts acs makes a few as well as dicta
nope it's definitely not metric, that I can tell with a ruler. Unfortunately, french and english are so damn close I don't know how to tell without just threading on an english freewheel (which hopefully I can do tomorrow).
Old 10-06-07, 11:35 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know french hubs had different threads. I wouldn't bother with the stock UO8 wheels anway. Unless they've been upgraded they're steel and not worth the trouble, IMO.
Old 10-07-07, 12:06 AM
Suttree
some new kind of kick

Bikes: SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hands up for giving france in its entirety to germany so the germans
can make sure the stuff is standardized and works. . .
Old 10-07-07, 12:36 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tad
good point, i'm going to try and thread on an english freewheel tomorrow.

nope it's definitely not metric, that I can tell with a ruler. Unfortunately, french and english are so damn close I don't know how to tell without just threading on an english freewheel (which hopefully I can do tomorrow).
get some cheap wheels off ebay if you are looking for a ss they have crappy track wheels for about 90 bucks that will do just fine with a fw and brakes but the lockring threads aren't the best
Old 10-07-07, 02:35 PM
tad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kemmer
I didn't know french hubs had different threads. I wouldn't bother with the stock UO8 wheels anway. Unless they've been upgraded they're steel and not worth the trouble, IMO.
you're certainly not the first person who's said this, but I'm beginning to agree. The steel rims i have (rigida) have TERRIBLE wet weather breaking. I stopped by a shop today that has a warehouse full of euro stuff, but if they can't find me a french threaded ss freewheel, then I'll just pick up a new set of wheels.

And, if I'm going to do the wheels I may as well do the whole thing right. I have cottered cranks, so I think replacing the cranks will mean also replacing the BB (also french threaded... they're available, just expensive). Then I can do a new chainring, new cranks, new wheels. Replace the brakes and it'll be like a whole new bike. I'm estimating $300-400 for this project, which is a lot to throw into this bike - but it means a lot to me so I might go for it.
Old 10-07-07, 02:36 PM
tad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
get some cheap wheels off ebay if you are looking for a ss they have crappy track wheels for about 90 bucks that will do just fine with a fw and brakes but the lockring threads aren't the best
$90 for a set? I'll have to check these out... and make sure they'll fit in my forks.
Old 10-07-07, 03:30 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't bother with steel. There are tons of leftover aluminum rimmed wheels around from all these conversions. Ask around and maybe you could score a set for free.
Old 10-07-07, 03:39 PM
Kol.klink
my bike Owns me+my wallet

Bikes: Px-10 singeld, 2007 KHS filte 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm quite sure that That bike does NOT have a french threaded freewheel, The U08 is a canadian made peugeot many of the parts are not french and as far as i know the diffrence between french and english freewheel threading is not that diffrent so even if it is, french maybe locktight,

But even then Just get new bloody wheels, you will likely not regret it
Old 10-07-07, 09:30 PM
tad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kol.klink
I'm quite sure that That bike does NOT have a french threaded freewheel, The U08 is a canadian made peugeot many of the parts are not french and as far as i know the diffrence between french and english freewheel threading is not that diffrent so even if it is, french maybe locktight,

But even then Just get new bloody wheels, you will likely not regret it
it actually depends on the U08. The earlier ones were french made. In my case, I have french made normandy hubs on rigida rims. I tried threading on an english freewheel and there was definitely a LOT of play. i could JB weld it on if I wanted, but as you (and others) pointed out, I'll probably be happier just getting some new (to me) aluminum wheels - which is probably what I'll do.
Old 10-07-07, 09:32 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The steel rims are reason enough to ditch the wheels, let alone any oddball French sizing issues. I have two sets of a aluminum rimmed 27" wheels in the garage I would give away. It seems like the OP should be able to find a better set easy enough.
Old 08-31-21, 02:14 PM
smiddymcgeezak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I found some options on an online moped store that sells french thread single speed freewheels that should be cross compatible.

Check out treatland.tv and search freewheels
Likes For smiddymcgeezak:
Old 08-31-21, 02:43 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Last post by the OP was on 6-11-09. Gotta love these newbies with their resurrected zombie threads.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-31-21 at 06:46 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-02-21, 11:19 AM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Last post by the OP was on 6-11-09. Gotta love these newbies with their resurrected zombie threads.
Honestly, though, I think a lot of people use these forms as a sort of archived encyclopedia of bike knowledge and advice, so it never bothers me when somebody resurrects an old thread with new information. Yeah, the op won't get anything out of it but who knows how many other people might know to check with moped shops now if they're looking for a French threaded freewheel.
Old 09-02-21, 11:29 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by cyrano138
Honestly, though, I think a lot of people use these forms as a sort of archived encyclopedia of bike knowledge and advice, so it never bothers me when somebody resurrects an old thread with new information. Yeah, the op won't get anything out of it but who knows how many other people might know to check with moped shops now if they're looking for a French threaded freewheel.
Maybe you should conduct a poll to find out how many people are looking for a French threaded single speed freewheel.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-02-21, 02:33 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Maybe you should conduct a poll to find out how many people are looking for a French threaded single speed freewheel.
Why?
Old 09-02-21, 02:56 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Given how many French Peugeot UO-8s are out there and how many conversions people do, this thread could still be useful. In fact, I'd like to find a French-threaded fixed-gear sprocket for my all-Campy 1960s 531 Peugeot track bike. I already knew about the French threading problem, since I stripped the threads on the Normandy fixed-gear hub of my Helyett track bike in 1965 by installing a BSA fixed cog.

The old bike mechanic in the shop where I bought the bike simply unscrewed the BSA sprocket, wrapped the hub in aluminum foil, and reinstalled the sprocket. Held with no problem for as long as I owned the bike.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-02-21, 03:27 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I'd like to find a French-threaded fixed-gear sprocket for my all-Campy 1960s 531 Peugeot track bike.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265221103841

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265221104522

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-03-21, 12:12 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Wow! I'm shocked! It has never even occurred to me that there might be any out there. Unfortunately, those are 14 and 15 teeth, and since the Peugeot's Campy chainring is 50 teeth, I need a 19-tooth French sprocket for my road riding. I should start looking around for a smaller chainring instead.
Old 09-03-21, 12:21 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Unfortunately, those are 14 and 15 teeth, and since the Peugeot's Campy chainring is 50 teeth, I need a 19-tooth French sprocket for my road riding. I should start looking around for a smaller chainring instead.
Could you live with an 18T cog ? >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/28429878264...pid=5337965612

Originally Posted by Dcv