Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Ride Reports - September 2021

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-11-21, 07:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

September kind of snuck up on me and here we are, a third of the way through!!

If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, we welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, we welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bicycle ... or unicycle, tricycle, tandem, etc.

Are you an experienced road cyclist? Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? Do you ride weekends? Do you spin at home or in the gym? Is Zwift your thing? Do you race crits, ironman, or centuries? Touring? Audax/Randonneuring?
Or are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid?

There are no set challenges - this is a mixed-ability / mixed-experience / everyone welcome group.

Just pick the target that you would like to achieve this month and post updates throughout the month as you work toward your target. We love seeing photos of your rides and hearing all about them.

Given the current situation many of us will be cycling solo or indoors. Don't feel alone! Share your accomplishments with us.

Old 09-11-21, 07:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Distance: 51.30km
Elevation: 555m
Moving Time: 3:00:21
Elapsed Time: 3:33:55
Speed: Average: 17.1km/h | Max: 47.9km/h
Calories 1,089

The bicycle ride started on Saturday at 10:30 am
Old 09-11-21, 03:32 PM
tflt
Dog bait....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
About 37 semi-peaceful miles on my trusty old Lemond, a few brutal hills, the usual headwind in both directions and chased by 2 different dogs. Another day in the win column, and remembering that I'm still hard to kill!

Likes For tflt:
Old 09-13-21, 08:49 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Saturday I found a new route to head towards the N.E. I used it for a 40 mile ride to Thonotosassa. I got stung by a bee on the way out. Hurt for a while. Sunday I wasn't feeling too motivated and did a 30 mile ride around S. Tampa.
Old 09-13-21, 02:08 PM
DBT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't take any photos, but rode the metric century route of the Tour de Fuzz on Saturday. It was a beautiful day on the bike, taking in a fair amount of Sonoma wine country. Only about 2,700 feet of climbing, which is pretty flat for 62 miles around here.
Old 09-18-21, 08:14 AM
kar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Did another metric century (105KM, rolling as per google maps. Post ride relaxation is to plot my route on google maps and find the distance, if the route deviates from the usual loop). But this is not the point here.

To my dismay, I saw first time a roadkill happening in front of my own eyes: There was this squirrel that crossed the road (left to right), may be some 20-30meters ahead, and it went full outside of the road and stud up looking ahead in the field. And then there was this small Volkswagen that overtook me and by the time it reached near the squirrel, that poor squirrel ran back, it avoided the first wheel and I thought "Ah, narrow escape", but sadly it got caught under the second (driver side) wheel. After that it rolled like a stick few meters and lay lifeless with mouth open with blood. I chased the VW little bit and made a sign that the Squirrel was finished. He just threw is right hand up in the air as a symbol that he could not do anything.
Old 09-27-21, 04:20 PM
SashaSolitaire

Bikes: Felt F4SL 2009 Ultegra 6600 grouppo, Trek 7.3FX, RadRunner Plus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Did the 55 mile Twin Lights in Sandy Hook, NJ with my wife. Was a wonderful change of scenery and a very nicely organized ride.
Old 09-28-21, 10:01 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Last Friday I rode on an eight man team for a super fun relay called Salt to Saint. It goes from Salt Lake City to St. George, Utah. If you’ve ever driven between these two cities on I-15, you’ll probably agree it’s not exactly a scenic or interesting route. I would not want to ride that corridor. Fortunately, the relay uses U.S. Highway 89 for most of its route—this is a much nicer way to go.

It’s about 420 miles, and we did it in 21 hours and 19 minutes. Though it is officially not a race, lots of teams (including mine) treat it like one. We came in sixth place among something like 120 teams, and I heard we were second place for our category. Although there were eight of us, it was effectively more like a four man relay, because we almost always had two or more riders out at a time. We took two support vehicles, and during the night one of them shadowed the riders.

This route doesn’t have as much elevation change as some others I’ve participated in, but it’s pretty tough. We started at 10:00 AM Friday and rode all day, all through the night, and into dawn Saturday, finishing around sunrise. You can see why it’s exhausting (beyond the initially obvious reasons) if you do the math: two guys always on the bikes, leaving six to ride in the cars. Each car needs a driver and a shotgun, so there’s only one guy in each car who can rest/sleep, change clothes, or otherwise get ready for the next turn. You would think we’re able to shuttle riders to the next exchange point with plenty of time and even stop along the way for food, but we often found the support cars were barely able to get there before the riders. The route is broken into 24 legs averaging about 18 miles each, but some of us took back-to-back legs to ride up to 40 miles at a time.

I struggled at a few points and only did about 83 miles total, across five rides. I’ve ridden a few non-stop centuries before and have also done well over 100 in a single day, but I still found this one pretty taxing. My biggest problem was trying to keep warm in the middle of the night. I thought I went out sufficiently clothed, but I was wrong. On a 20 mile leg with rolling hills and generally increasing elevation, at about midnight, my core temperature was all over the place. I got chilled on each short descent and then overheated on the climbs. I had to keep adjusting my attire in an effort to get into balance. I was slotted to ride the next leg, which was 22 miles down a gentle descent (about 2% grade, which works out to ~24 MPH coasting, 28 with moderate effort, or 30+ if you push). I knew before getting to the top that the upcoming descent would equal hypothermia for me. I was too damp with sweat. When I caught up with the support car at the top (they weren’t able to shadow me on this leg), they read an outside temp in the mid-30s Fahrenheit—no wonder I kept getting chilled!

The guys on my team were all in our 50s and 60s, except one young fellow of only 48, who also happened to be our strongest overall… as a new rider a few years ago, he was on the team that won Race Across America. Last week, everyone showed impressive grit and stamina. I learned a lot and had a great adventure.

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-28-21 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-28-21, 12:28 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I was back in the Ocala Nat Forest for the weekend and had two pleasant rides. Perfect cycling weather. 60's, low humidity and winds. Each ride was around 40 miles. About 15 miles of it was non paved.