Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How many of you are pro Cat 3's, 4's, and 5's?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How many of you are pro Cat 3's, 4's, and 5's?

Old 10-16-08, 10:50 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
There is no forced upgrade from cat 5. That's why they don't allow primes or cash or merchandise awards for cat 5, to discourage sandbagging.
Yeah, I know... I was being silly, hence the ""

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
Fully custom carbon bikes
940-442-3344
Old 10-16-08, 10:59 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I run into my pal the other day who lives up the road. Serious 35+ racer. He says he switched teams for next year, in part because he wasn't getting enough support. He asks me how many times I raced in 2008. I figured it was like 13-14 times. He looks at me and say 'that's plenty, at least you raced, some of my team mates only showed up 2-3x all year.' Which surprised me. To me racing a full schedule would have involved 30 races, which is what I did for much of the 90's, my team mate Gary did over 50. My schedule is more selective now because I want to be home by noon (I do early AM races in NY City), and I'm farther away from the mid-week twilight race venues (it's more of a hassle to go to those than it's worth now). Next year I hope to get more individual TTs in and maybe get it up to 20 races or so.
If there were more USCF point races that were local (I mean local, not having to drive 6-8 hours round trip) I'd definately race to upgrade and be more serious about that kind of competition. The reality is, I have my children every other weekend starting on a thursday, ending on a monday so it makes it difficult for me to drop everything and do road trips. With the club races, I only have to drive 25-30 minutes each way, race for an hour and a half and be home for dinner. The fact that they give points and keep track of stats makes it more than just an A group ride. The course is the same every week, starts and ends at the same place (so tactics depend on conditions and who is in the race) and they even have an awards ceremony at the end of the (LONGISH) season. One of the local TXBRA promoters in our area that usually does TTs is going to do a crit race next year, so I will definately do that becuase it will be about 15 minutes from home. I too plan on buying a TT bike and doing some TT events.

I'm retired though so other than the visitation thing, I can ride as often or as long as I want so I at least have that going for me...

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
940-442-3344

Last edited by ZXiMan; 10-16-08 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 11:04 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'll be 51 years old in a few weeks. I don't know how much longer I can ride with the 35+ or even the 45+ guys. Sure, I know guys who are 60+ who do that, but they are generally riders who were considerably more talented than I ever was as a younger cyclist. At my best, I was a strong 4 who could have upgraded to 3 had I raced 35+ times as a Cat 4 and made it my mission. But I quickly started doing Vets races because they were so much safer and saner. I never saw the point of upgrading to 3, because as a 3 I would have been out of my depth anyway. Now I think about trying again, but the sheer volume of racing and travel I'd have to do make me prefer 35+ races (where I can try to help the team I sponsor), TTs and local competitive rides like Nyack. I do enjoy all that.

So I figure maybe I can keep hammering for another 5-6 years. If I can go longer than that, great. Hell, maybe I'll be doing 55+ TTs until I'm 65, and then 65+ TTs. But you never know. You're one little surprise tweaky pain from the end of you racing career at all times. Don't I know it.

It's fun trying my little Road Nazis. For all the idiot elitism that pervades this sport, it's mostly very cool guys who are mostly helpful, friendly to newcomers and don't fit that stereotype. Mostly. It's easy to find the aholes of course. They're at every race.

Last edited by patentcad; 10-16-08 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 11:08 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 51 years old in a few weeks. I don't know how much longer I can ride with the 35+ or even the 45+ guys. Sure, I know guys who are 60+ who do that, but they are generally riders who were considerably more talented than I ever was as a younger cyclist. At my best, I was a strong 4 who could have upgraded to 3 had I raced 35+ times as a Cat 4 and made it my mission. But I quickly started doing Vets races because they were so much safer and saner. I never saw the point of upgrading to 3, because as a 3 I would have been out of my depth anyway. Now I think about trying again, but the sheer volume of racing and travel I'd have to do make stick to 35+ races (where I can try to help the team I sponsor), TTs and local competitive rides like Nyack.

So I figure maybe I can keep hammering for another 5-6 years. If I can go longer than that, great. Hell, maybe I'll be doing 55+ TTs until I'm 65, and then 65+ TTs. But you never know. You're one little surprise tweaky pain from the end of you racing career at all times. Don't I know it.

It's fun trying my little Road Nazis.
I'm just 40 years old... I wish I had started riding like I do now, 20 years ago.

I hope to be as competitive or more when I'm your age but I know there is no such thing as turning back the clock... heh.

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
940-442-3344
Old 10-16-08, 11:12 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

You know what boys? It doesn't change. You go out and train the best you can and on race day you go as hard as you can as long as you can whether you're 25 or 55. The results? For me that's the scene, the workout, the camaraderie and the thrill of riding 30 mph in the bunch. If I can help my team by stringing out the field on the last lap to discourage any 1000 meter man attacks, that's even better. Nothing's as rewarding as the 'attaboys' from your team mates after the race when the team leader gets a result.
Old 10-16-08, 11:16 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what boys? It doesn't change. You go out and train the best you can and on race day you go as hard as you can as long as you can whether you're 25 or 55. The results? For me that's the scene, the workout, the camaraderie and the thrill of riding 30 mph in the bunch. If I can help my team by stringing out the field on the last lap to discourage any 1000 meter man attacks, that's even better. Nothing's as rewarding as the 'attaboys' from your team mates after the race when the team leader gets a result.
That's good to know, but right now I'm unattached.

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
940-442-3344
Old 10-16-08, 11:36 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just curious what the logic is of having a race bike AND a training bike? Most of the time, you ride your training bike (I'm assuming) and only take your race bike out for....well, only races.

But since you're logging miles & miles & miles on the training bike, shouldn't you race with it also?

Why wouldn't you go on training rides with your race bike? I think it would make more sense to train on a bike that you would race with.
Old 10-17-08, 12:06 AM
ilvwhtgrls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:slaps on the ass: attaboy good race
Old 10-17-08, 12:08 AM
ilvwhtgrls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
imagine having sex in there... i'd probably pass out. hahahaha
Old 10-17-08, 01:41 AM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd
I'm just curious what the logic is of having a race bike AND a training bike? Most of the time, you ride your training bike (I'm assuming) and only take your race bike out for....well, only races.

But since you're logging miles & miles & miles on the training bike, shouldn't you race with it also?

Why wouldn't you go on training rides with your race bike? I think it would make more sense to train on a bike that you would race with.
I used to use both my bikes for both training and races. Now I just have one bike so I use it for both too.

The only difference now is wheelset and gearing (I use '08 Mavic SLs with a 12-25 cassette for training and Zipp 404s with an 11-23 for races). I do some flat, smooth training rides with the Zipps on occasion.

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
940-442-3344
Old 10-17-08, 02:24 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Me and my wife have one of those. We put laughing gas in it though. Really fun stuff.
Old 10-17-08, 08:15 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Top cyclists, the type that you see on TV or even on domestic teams don't come from CAT 5, 4, or 3.

I raced as a junior, was picked up by a team that was sponsored, I never raced anything other than Pro 1, 2. From there, I went to Europe for two years and learned I was a mid-pack racer at best, had my fun and went on to a business career. For a while I raced while I was building a career, ran as a 2, but had no time to train properly. I didn't want to live in a Maytag box under a bridge to race bikes.

Unless you are a miracle, if you are 20 and up and racing 3 or 4, it's not happening no matter how much money you spend.

Now, if you spend money to reach your potential, that's great. But keep it real. The closer you get to your potential, the more fun you will have. But Johann will not be calling.

I am a single digit handicap golfer. I can shoot in the mid-70's...if I get Hank Haney to coach me, I'm never going to the PGA Tour. It's not happening.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-17-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 08:49 AM
ldesfor1@ithaca

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
Me and my wife have one of those. We put laughing gas in it though. Really fun stuff.
yah, Fishbowl, Subby/Ms.Subby!!

laughing gas is the best performance enhancer!!

Jealous, by the way. I love sleeping in tents!!

-L
Old 10-17-08, 09:11 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior

Unless you are a miracle, if you are 20 and up and racing 3 or 4, it's not happening no matter how much money you spend.

Ah. True.

No reason I can't hand it to them on a silver platter every once in a while, when Mars and Jupiter are aligned just right.

I will be a pretty mean SOB this year in them thar hills.
Old 10-17-08, 09:46 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have no illusion of becoming a pro racer. i dont use my coach to teach me how to race. i use him to get me fit enough to learn how to race when I go on group rides.

Last edited by Lithuania; 10-17-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 10:04 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figure Cat3 is the best place for someone like me to be. I have no teammates, no interest and not nearly enough dedication to go race at the next level, but I'm more than competitive enough to enjjoy myself in the 3's. I really don't even put that many hours in on the bike(I get bored after a couple of hours), but I try to make the most of the time I do spend out there, and that seems to work just fine for me. Perfect, because I've more or less built my ability around crits. There are plenty of P/1/2/3 races to enter if I want to dabble, and since I'm old I can also enter the masters races and get smoked by the Amgen guys as well.
Old 10-17-08, 10:58 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by roadwarrior

Correct. If you are 20 and up and racing Cat 2 it's probably not happening either, and even if it does, the first level of pro racing is hardly what most of us would consider 'a living'. The one pro racer that I personally know essentially couldn't do it without the support of his parents. He is 27 years old now, he's been racing as a domestic 'pro' for several years. Even competed in the US TT championships last year. It's a rough gig.

But try convincing some 22-28 year old Cat 2's of this reality. They do have to find out the hard way. But holding on to your dreams isn't necessarily a bad thing in my view, and they do die hard. It's a tough friggin sport on every level from Cat 5 to UCI. I told the guy I was talking about above to keep hammering, because he'll have the rest of his life to strap on a suit and sit in front of a computer like most of us who wish we were out riding more. Well, not me, I ride all I want, but you know what I mean.
Old 10-17-08, 11:14 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a loser baby!
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-17-08, 11:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I don't know where all these guys are who are expecting a pro contract. I only know one guy who thinks he can do it, and he might well be able to. Most everyone else I've ever met who takes the sport seriously does it because it's what they do, not because they think they'll be racing in Europe. I train longer and harder now than when I was a 20 something cat II and it isn't because I think Johann will want to replace old Ekimov with equally old Gary. Seems to me the point of the thread was more along the lines 'how seriously do you take this sport where you can't really reach the upper levels' than 'what are you doing to get to the upper level.' Besides, it's guys pushing the limits of seriousness that lights a fire under the ass of the kid who does make it the top.
Old 10-17-08, 11:20 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

It's hard to take a sport that you suck at (as much as I do) seriously.
Old 10-17-08, 11:29 AM
92degrees

Bikes: too few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard not to suck at something you don't take seriously.
Old 10-17-08, 11:31 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard to take a sport that you suck at (as much as I do) seriously.
but somehow you manage
Old 10-17-08, 11:37 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by kudude
but somehow you manage
I spend serious time and money on it because I enjoy it. Don't mistake that with taking it seriously. Frankly, we all do this for fun, so any seriousness is all in your own head. Which is a perfect place for such notions to be.

I can understand those of you who don't suck at racing being more insane about it than I am. Of course. If I had any ability at this at all I'd be racing 50+ times a year. Not for nothing, but I sucked back in the 90's too and I was doing this idiot sport 30x a year. I just like it. If I could win or place in every race I'd be utterly obsessed with it. Thankfully I'm just half-obsessed with it now. More obsessed with riding my bike for the endorphins than the racing. The racing is just so my Self Loathing stays fresh.
Old 10-17-08, 11:51 AM
92degrees

Bikes: too few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spending serious amounts of time on something is taking it seriously. Sorry.
Old 10-17-08, 11:53 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by ilvwhtgrls
imagine having sex in there... i'd probably pass out. hahahaha
It's not the altitude, it's the humidity. It gets warm and very, very humid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.