Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Quality phone mount for larger phones

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Quality phone mount for larger phones

Old 09-01-21, 01:27 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I finally received the Out Front Mount and case. My initial attempts to mount it on the 26mm bars above were thwarted because the middle adaptor (closest fit of the three) was expanded slightly beyond its stated max range of 25.4mm. This meant that the one supplied M4 cap screw (around 10mm end to shoulder) was too short to engage the embedded nut in the bottom half of the clamshell clamp... so, off to the hdw. store I went. A ~15mm M4 cap screw, fit it on, perfectly. Thanks guys!
Likes For CrankyFranky:
Old 09-01-21, 05:06 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
Here is the Exact model that I have been using for five years now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31281757618...gAAOSwBtNfTwCf

YES, It is a manual, hand crank knob to lock and unlock and to adjust down to securely grasp and the to telescope out to open and remove phone.
It is a good system, as the FOUR CORNERS do not allow the phone to escape or pop-out even over the worst bumps, pot holes, or sinkholes.
I DO NOT LIKE THE PHONE MOUNTS WHICH ARE JUST A 3M double sided sticky tape ATTACHED TO THE REAR OF THE PHONE and/or the handlebar/stem mounting bracket. Remember the old Beatles tune : YOU'RE GONNA LOSE THAT GIRL.........well yes yes you're gonna se that phone GO FLYING INTO THE PAVEMENT. Do you feel lucky.....well do ya feel lucky..........because riding in the summertime heat and the G forces on the heated 3m adhesive attaching your phone will really put that crappy style of attachment to the test......yeah perhaps if the phone is small and lightweight it will likely hold but a large and heavy phone will put it to the test. Do you really want to chance that your phone gets destroyed by flying off and hitting the asphalt pavement/concrete???
Just my opinion.
I don't like any of the other phone mount alternatives that DO NOT SECURELY LOCK THE CORNERS or at least secure them in a zippered but visible clear bag. Otherwise just stick the phone in a zipped triangle frame bag or a zippered seat bag, or otherwise latched seat bag. YOU DO NOT WANT ANY TYPE OF PHONE MOUNT WHICH ALLOWS FOR EVEN THE MINIMAL POSSIBILITY OF THE PHONE Flying-Off WHILE YOUR RIDING OVER ANY BUMP, OR ROAD IRREGULARITIES.
It is ultimately your choice.

These other phone mounts might be GOOD Too but I have not tried them personally, although I do know several people that use each of these and they seem to find them satisfactory:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25460785792...wAAOSwTMFfBX2i

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32454249363...IAAOSwMq9gX3Wz