Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help from carbon expert

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need help from carbon expert

Old 03-28-21, 02:22 AM
cheesesandwich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Need help from carbon experts

I was unable to change to the big chainring and while stopping to check, the chain came off and hit the frame at the bb/chainstay area as i was using my hand to turn the pedal. It wasnt that hard but I noticed the was a small crack there. Some very tiny pieces of carbon also came off. I was worried but managed to cycle back for another 40km at moderate speed (25-30km/h) with all the road bumps along the way.

Its hard to know how bad it is from visual check. I was thinking if i can use epoxy resin to mend it to prevent the crack from getting worse. Or is it not safe at all?

Last edited by cheesesandwich; 03-28-21 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-28-21, 06:52 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Show the crack. I cannot see a crack. Lighting and focus can improve your photag skills.
Old 03-28-21, 07:23 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I recommend taking it to a shop or CF repair place for an inspection. No matter how good the photos are you really need to see and feel something like that in person to know what's needed. When you get it fixed add a chain catcher Chain catcher - Google Search and some protection on the chain stay. Essential for CF bikes IMO.
Old 03-28-21, 08:04 AM
cheesesandwich

I believe the 1st picture shows the crack quite well. No signs of hairline crack though. Just a damaged part of the the chain stay. Personally I feel its still solid as that part of frame is thick but because it's carbon it still worries me. Its not an expensive frame to begin with so I don't know if its worth to repair. I don't know how much it would cost to do.
Old 03-28-21, 10:53 AM
trailangel

There is a crack? But not a hairline crack? All I see is a chipping from dropping the chain. Could you circle the crack in red or something?
Old 03-28-21, 11:18 AM
cheesesandwich

Ah. I considered that as a crack. So the correct term is chipped eh? Is that common and non critical?
Old 03-28-21, 11:27 AM
trailangel

I don't know if critical, but if it was my frame I would fill it with epoxy. This is a typical place where some damage occurs from chain drop, so they must make it stronger there.......I would assume. But I assume nothing when it comes to carbon fiber.
Old 03-28-21, 12:30 PM
cheesesandwich

Got that. I already did fill it with epoxy. Hopefully just a chip that does not compromise the structure.