Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Castelli size guide

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Castelli size guide

Old 04-27-21, 06:32 AM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Castelli size guide

Planning to buy a Castelli Perfetto Ros Convertible Jacket. How are sizes from Castelli? I am 182cm ( 6`0)n and 77kg (170 pounds). Size Large? Planning to buy a bibshorts from Castelli too. Looking for one with pockets and good for spring/fall-temperatures in Scandinavia. Is Castelli Unlimited a good choice for longer rides? Size Large?
Old 04-27-21, 07:04 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeamateur70
Planning to buy a Castelli Perfetto Ros Convertible Jacket. How are sizes from Castelli? I am 182cm ( 6`0)n and 77kg (170 pounds). Size Large? Planning to buy a bibshorts from Castelli too. Looking for one with pockets and good for spring/fall-temperatures in Scandinavia. Is Castelli Unlimited a good choice for longer rides? Size Large?
I have the the Castelli winter speed suit that has the Ros on top. It is on the tight side for Castelli clothing.
Old 04-27-21, 07:51 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Not sure about their jackets, but the two Castelli jerseys I have fit very tight for their size. I am a medium in nearly everything and had to buy a large.
They are both super tight across the shoulders and upper chest.
Old 04-27-21, 08:14 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Ridiculous, IME. I have selected "do not bother" as the best fit for Castelli stuff.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-27-21, 08:19 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have a Perfetto RoS, it is the usual Castelli .. buy one size bigger than you normally do. I usually am medium and have a large in this. In general I have found the one size up works perfectly for me on all the Castelli gear I have.
Old 04-27-21, 08:51 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
As a slight aside: do Castelli bibs size up small as well? I'm thinking of getting a pair of the Aero Race 4s.
Old 04-27-21, 08:55 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bibs, jerseys, gloves, and long underwear all need a +1 on the size for me. I have Aero Race 4s, awesome product.
Old 04-27-21, 09:02 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Bibs, jerseys, gloves, and long underwear all need a +1 on the size for me. I have Aero Race 4s, awesome product.
Thanks. How long are the inseam on them? I have long thighs.
Old 04-27-21, 09:15 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Castelli is European sized and are more race fit overall. They have a few things listed as Fondo fit which is more relaxed for them.

Like most people have said, size one up from your normal American size e.g. medium in Pearl Izumi to large in Castelli.
Old 04-27-21, 10:15 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I've found Castelli size charts to be accurate. Compared to other brands, they aren't particularly sized to fit tall, skinny bodies. I wonder how many people actually take their own measurements and compare against manufacturer charts? At 5'9" 140lbs I find Castelli barely long enough in small and usually baggy in medium. I have their Perfetto convertible in small and the torso and long sleeves are the correct length but loose, which is expected since small in Castelli is usually for 36in chest and 31in waist, on the wide side compared to many other brands that are typically 35/29. A pair of their bib tights in medium are loose below the knee but otherwise fit OK, if not quite as long as I'd like with an inseam <33in, unlike other brands. Same for arm warmers.
Old 04-27-21, 10:24 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Thanks. How long are the inseam on them? I have long thighs.
I don't have much basis for comparison, but they are longer than my old Pearl Izumi shorts. My thighs are above average length and I like the fit. Google image search will show a bunch of different fits.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 04-27-21, 05:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Jacket for OP -- I believe an XL is correct. Somewhat depends if you want to also fit eg. some sort of jersey underneath, and with a baselayer sometimes. XL is best guess though.
Old 04-27-21, 05:40 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Large sounds like a good guess. I'm 6'0" (183cm) and 160 lbs, and Castelli L is ever so slightly loose but still a good fit. Their sizing is pretty consistent, so if you find one jersey or jacket that fits chances are very good the size works across the board. I recently bought a Castelli jersey in L, the Climber 3.0 Limited Edition and it's the same - slightly loose in front when on the bars, but fine.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 04-28-21, 07:11 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
It's all personal preference. I'm 5'10" exactly and around 165 lbs. I have typically bought size medium stuff from Castelli. It's definitely not "American" fit (aka, "club" fit or "fondo" fit), it's a traditional race fit. I prefer that traditional race fit, personally. The same is true of brands like Giordana, Assos, Santini, Sportful, Bioracer, Eliel, Ornot, MAAP, Pedal Mafia etc in my experience: all offer a race fit. I think Castelli gets singled out because it's more readily available than many of those other brands, but they're not unusually tight when compared to these similar "race focused" brands in my experience. Bigger brands in the US like Pearl Izumi, Bontrager, Specialized, Garneau, Bellweather, Voler etc generally sell much looser fitting stuff, with exceptions at the top end or "race" collections.