Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Build vs. Buy Complete?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Build vs. Buy Complete?

Old 08-01-21, 03:50 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
It’s almost always less expensive to buy a complete bike unless you have a garage full of bike parts like some of us do.
Old 08-01-21, 03:53 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
I had a chocolate brown Steamroller, built it from the frame up almost 20 years ago, including the wheelset using old style Camp track hubs, Mavic rims, Campy track crankset, Brooks, Nittos, Eggbeaters…. I sold it about 5 years ago though. I still ride an old Bianchi track frame, also built from scratch around the same time.
I remember you riding that Steamroller. Have not seen/heard from you in a long time!
Old 08-01-21, 04:03 PM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by sshakari
I remember you riding that Steamroller. Have not seen/heard from you in a long time!
I’m back after a near 10 year hiatus!
Old 08-01-21, 06:40 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
I’m back after a near 10 year hiatus!
Glad you are back. I also came back after 7 years of absence. I still message with Herb every so often & been trying to catch a ride with him in Burbank.
Old 08-12-21, 03:41 AM
netjack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where can one buy a complete Steamroller from?
Old 08-12-21, 03:43 AM
netjack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also, when building a bike, are people using stands to hoist the frame up?
Old 08-12-21, 07:19 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by netjack
Depends on what I am doing. The stand I use is from Aldi (yes, Aldi) that I got many moons ago. Makes my life easier.
Old 08-12-21, 08:35 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by helliot
I rolled by the shop today and checked out the Steam Roller frame set. I was sold and will be building up a bike.
I ride a Steam Roller frame and it is outstanding.
The only critique I have is that I believe its really built for FG since the drill out for the rear break was very small and would not fit the breaks I had available, several diff brands, think they all had standard bolts ?
Old 08-12-21, 11:04 AM
roadfix
hello

using a sturdy repair stand make things so much easier, especially when torquing things down
Old 08-23-21, 05:44 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Guess I'm still shadetree; I build mine on the floor in the living room, sometimes sitting in my recliner.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 08-23-21, 12:48 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Guess I'm still shadetree; I build mine on the floor in the living room, sometimes sitting in my recliner.
Me too. I put down a moving blanket or something so my wife doesn’t get angry about grease stains.
Old 08-23-21, 06:01 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Moved out to a small house in the ‘burbs with the ball and chain. Liked/liking life outside the city enough that we annexed the tiny house behind ours.

So now I got the entire first floor of the new house as my bike workshop!
Nothing in there but an old kitchen table, an old bike stand, a tv, a Bluetooth speaker and a bunch of tools. Sweet!

Haven’t been able to satisfy my new bike Jones in nigh on two years so am building up a new to me frame with parts I’ve been hoarding.
It’s an entirely different experience working on a bike in total comfort haha.

But, yeah, building. Woulda preferred buying complete/new tho.

Last edited by Rage; 08-23-21 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Decided to break up the large mass of words into smaller masses of words
Old 08-31-21, 12:13 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
... we annexed the tiny house behind ours. So now I got the entire first floor of the new house as my bike workshop!
Nothing in there but an old kitchen table, an old bike stand, a tv, a Bluetooth speaker and a bunch of tools. Sweet!
^that would be my ideal situation. I have an indoor room in the basement that is my bike shop now, which works well enough. We're moving someday soon to a house that will have no such room. I'll be forced to convert a portion of the garage into a workspace. But when not working, both cars must be in the garage, so this will be a challenge to design and construct. Folding benches, rolling cases, wall storage, and it's not a tall ceiling garage either. So, bike storage will also be tough. Ugh.

As for having a bike within the living spaces...well, that would result in my immediate death. So, I don't go there...
Old 08-31-21, 10:15 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

I had the same deal before we got our hands on the new little house. My home bike workshop was in a (small) indoor room in the basement. Not too bad if I didn’t also have twenty plus bikes in there lol.

It was pretty cramped in there. My wife and I were both beginning to regret the purchase of our first home together a little bit.

We’d bought the place in a bit of a hurry and initially only ever intended to wait out the lockdown here.
So we went a little bit on the smaller side because we both thought we would be moving right back. Only now it looks like we might be sticking around long-term. We liked the area enough that we were already looking for a bigger place in the same neighborhood.

It was super serendipitous that the tiny house behind ours went on the market right after we began searching for bigger digs.

The price was right and although small at only 1100 square feet with no basement, it adds two more bedrooms, doubles the size of our yard and now I got the living room, kitchen and dining room as my bike workshop/man-cave.

No more dark, dingy, smelly, moldy basement for me hahaha!

I’m painting the place now and hope to get all my bikes and bike stuff out of the basement and in there this weekend.
Likes For Rage:
Old 08-31-21, 10:17 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

[QUOTE=As for having a bike within the living spaces...well, that would result in my immediate death. So, I don't go there...[/QUOTE]

It’s probably not worth dying over lol.
Old 08-31-21, 10:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
...I like building and making things just so, but it also takes longer, costs more, and can be very tedious. For most people, I think buying complete is often the better way to go, but it depends on a lot of variables.
Same here... If I ever bought a complete bicycle I would more than likely take it all apart and reassemble it anyway...

There is another thing though. My old bike parts bin is getting very empty. Used to be I could put a bike together just from all the bike anatomy piled up in the garage. Slowly, it has all thinned out. Of course my wife loves this condition...
Old 09-01-21, 12:39 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

My wife is always trying to get me to thin out my bike collection/parts bin.

When we initially moved in together, she and her parents actually thought I was going to get rid of a bunch of my bikes.

Her dad went so far as to suggest I just throw a couple out. He doesn’t understand I have been curating this collection for decades lol.

Same for my parts bin. Which I just added a whole lot of stuff to.

So, getting rid of either/or? NOT gonna happen hahaha!