Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

26 + 15.5 vs 27.5 + 16

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

26 + 15.5 vs 27.5 + 16

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 09:50 AM
Zentral13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26 + 15.5 vs 27.5 + 16

Hi I live in the Russian cycling world and I am torn between these 2 mountain bikes. I recently bought a 17 frame bike and came to conclusion that I need a smaller one and I returned it. I am 5.5 in height (164-165 cm.) and feel uncomfortable in larger bikes so I have to lean forward. I think I have a small torso and longer legs. I don't have much of a problem vertically since I can adjust the seat what gives me problem is horizontal when I have to lean forward to reach the handlebar. I recently tried a bike which had 15.5 frame and I was much more comfortable but the wheels were 27.5 so I felt a bit too high above ground. Another bike I tried had 16 frame but only 26 wheels so it felt so that I have better control. It is really difficult to make a choice. Also other major difference between bikes are 27.5 one has V brakes but the 26 has disc brakes. Here are two models these are Russian bikes please give me your opinions and help me choose.
Old 07-29-21, 12:35 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Don't get hung up on the numbers. Comfort should trump everything else. Frame size (the number) doesn't really mean a whole lot, especially with Mtb frames from different manufacturers. The frame size is only meaningful within a brand to compare one size to another.

If you are comfortable on one bike over another, that seems like a smart choice. Not saying you wouldn't get used to either bike after you've ridden it for a while, but if you've got enough experience riding to feel the difference from one bike for another, go with what feels right.
Old 07-29-21, 02:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Probably won't find many here who are familiar with current Russian bikes. I'm surprised there aren't other forums with local knowledge.
Old 07-30-21, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Chose the bike that you feel you will like to ride and you are comfortable on. No matter how much better a bike is than the other, if you don't like it and/or don't fit on it, that will negatively affect your desire to ride.

Don't get caught up in these components are better than these components as the only determining factor. Most all components work well enough. Until you have the experience and fitness to actually perceive the difference between them as you ride, you may not get much more benefit out of the more expensive and better components.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-30-21 at 09:47 AM.