Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Back packs/ruck sacks for Foldaway bike?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Back packs/ruck sacks for Foldaway bike?

Old 07-01-10, 12:33 PM
EAPellow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverwolf
Hi, nice thread here. I am almost finished with my build (a downtube 20", that folds similar to a dahon) and need a bag that will be bus, train and airline legal and be able to store one change of clothes and a small amount of miscellaneous items. It would ideally take the appearance of a large or "military" style backpack (minus the camoflage of course ). I can also only buy from ebay or local stores- any suggestions?
What you could go with is a short, top zip military style heavy denier duffel, preferably the kind with a double shoulder strap so you can go between a messenger and backpack style carry. If you find a bag that's maybe a third longer than the bike, you could section off 2 thirds of the interior with a flap so you'd have the bike compartment and a smaller compartment for clothes, keeping the bike towards the bottom of the bag for an easier carry. You could then take thick nylon panels and line the bike compartment with them, even riveting them in or something, and, if there's room, covering those in a thin layer of foam. The trick is actually making it something you'd feel comfortable with being tossed in a plane.

I'd go with local stores just so you can see the bags up close to know how - and if - the bike will fit. Unless of course you find a hard case or something online that was made for your bike's folded dimensions.

I'm still just getting used to my new (used) Dahon Helios XL, and trying to get used to folding it. Someday I'll get around to figuring out a bag or series of bags, then I'll have something more substantial to share on the subject.
Old 07-02-10, 12:04 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
One option is to have something custom made. Seems like the music industry has several people making custom padded bags for all kinds of equipment. If you're willing to pay the price, it could be a solution for some. Here's an example...

https://www.studioslips.com/briefcase.php

--sam
Old 07-06-10, 02:35 PM
silverwolf
Bluegrass Atheist

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour Tourist vintage fixed-gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. The music-related bags are out of budget for me (I only spent $75 total on the bike, including the singlespeed conversion, light, and new seat). I have heard that some suitcases can fit the bike partly disassembled as well.

EAPellow, that sounds perfect. If there was a sturdy duffel with shoulder straps and room for bike+stuff, it would work out great. Let me know how it goes when you search for your own bike, I'm interested to see if it'll work for mine.
Old 07-08-10, 08:29 PM
tedi k wardhana
transport, not sport.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Produc...inum_Frame.jpg

with this, can we carry a folder?
16"wheels, preferably...
Old 11-01-10, 11:13 AM
gganio

Bikes: Several bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lately I have been experimenting on ways of carrying my Mini125RD as a back pack.
I have inserted into the handlebar a 2inch strapping.
Things works better then expected.
It is not that uncomfortable, even though it can be improved.
I have already used it several times when I needed to dispatch bicycles and I had the classic problem of how to come back.

A few pics:

full story
https://mini125rd.over-blog.com/artic...-56177917.html

Now I am trying to develop a purpose made bag for the Mini125RD. Strangely enough, I can not found any tailors to make my prototype bag. It seems that down here in my hometown (Turin, Italy) all the tailors are gone. Nobody is making bags anymore.
Old 01-19-11, 03:05 PM
lbj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More of a shoulder bag than a backpack, but I find this one fits my bike pretty well. (Sorry, I can't get a picture of it on its own!)
Old 06-01-11, 08:33 PM
EChing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one can carry a full bike:
https://www.vimeo.com/7671081
Old 09-11-11, 12:50 PM
Brimstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm struggling to understand under what circumstances one would carry a 35 lb, 30" x 30" tangle of pipes, dirty rubber and greasy chain on one's back. And I've toted many big, unwieldy loads. It can't be done inside without eventually whacking the hell out of something or someone. Definitely too awkward for a train or bus. Maybe useful for short distances outside but...a rolling case would probably be better. Best of all for outside is, of course, to RIDE the bike.

Someone please clue me in on what I'm missin' here.
Old 09-11-11, 11:40 PM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eurostar. You have to have it folded and bagged. You go through airport security, then waiting area then you want to get to your train as quickly as possible so there is still room in the luggage racks. When you get to Paris, you need to cycle to a station across town to make the connection and then to your hotel. If you had a rolling bag you'd be on the metro and probably a taxi at the far end. A soft bag folds up and attaches to your bike, or stay on your back.

I've done it with a simple soft bag, but it would have been much more comfortable as a back pack. But even with it in a shoulder bag, I easily passed people dragging large wheelie bags.

I hate rolling luggage, though it has it's uses.
Old 09-12-11, 06:27 PM
Brimstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefmcg
Eurostar.
That reminds me. Few years ago I took the TGV from Nice to Paris. I thought I was being slick by not paying the ticket supplement for a bike. I remember sitting on the grass in front of the busy station in Nice disassembling bits of my full-sized Montague to get it to fit in the shoulder strap bag with people ogling me. I was a bit peeved when I got on the train and found plenty of free full-sized bike slots right in my compartment. When I arrived at the Gard du Nord I was schlepping the bike and my bag through the crowds. Got stuck pretty good in the ticket turn style for about three minutes. I'm pretty sure that was the moment I resolved to get a smaller folder.

Maybe a Mezzo would work OK on your back; maybe. But I think if I tried that with the Montague I might still be stuck there in that turn style. It seems if you sling one across one shoulder the bulk of most folded bikes would be fore-and-aft, making it much easier to pass things like turnstyles and doorways and cops without getting stuck.

But I see your point about a non-folding rolling case vs. carrying the folded bike. Many folks of course rave about how easily the can wheel their uncased folded Bromptons. Can't you do that with the Mezzo? Or do you find it awkward?

But if you must use a back carry- here's a design which will probably work. I think it comes from a bag made for military skydivers, who must sometimes strap large and odd loads to themselves.

Take a single large sheet of sturdy material; probably luggage polyester (polyamide) is the most economic good choice but Cuben or other sail fabric would be lighter and less bulky. Cut a pattern large enough to completely encircle the folded bike. Attached three quick release adjustable buckles on either open side, and two on top. Attach backpack straps to the back. Voila. Just roll it out, place the folded bike on it and fold the fabric over the top. clip up the sides and go. Roll it up when finished.
Old 10-14-11, 12:11 PM
Geeeyejo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up the carrying bag for my Citizen Folder when I purchased it and NEVER ended up using it. It is not necessary to keep in a bag when using NYC trains and is much easier/quicker to carry by seat tube or wheel when folded by holding the seat. I typically use a good sized military surplus ALICE pack and hence would not be able to use another back pack when transporting anyway...
Old 11-12-11, 02:17 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaymo
I have been doing some investigation into foldaway back packs/ruck sacks to carry my folder. I have put together the best options/solutions I could find at:

https://bikesthatfold.com/content/view/49/

If there are other viable options out there, please comment?
Thanks for putting this together. I'm trying to find a compact, light, inexpensive bag for my Dahon "Speed" that would allow me easy access to bus and trains.

The second bag on your list looks nice. Too bad they're not available for sale. Any idea where I could get some of that Bleeding Edge fabric? I know a seamstress who I'm sure could make me something similar.

Last edited by Ekdog; 05-17-12 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-27-11, 06:09 PM
Shaymo
Dr Kickstand

Bikes: Montague Hummer 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ekdog,

I have no idea where you get them now. It's a while since I looked into the whole bag thing. But if you do manage to get your seamstress to have a go, I would be interested in seeing the finished product.

S
Old 12-27-11, 09:54 AM
mljoshua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks- I will check them out
Old 03-08-12, 09:33 PM
ezerivas

Bikes: Dahon Mu Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
Outstanding research. This will be very useful.

I would like a bag that would allow me to take a Brompton onto a plane (hold baggage) that would also double as a rucksack for carrying maybe 10kg of clothing on a foreign tour. The snag is that the bag must stay airline legal. One of the bags in your investigation might satisfy that role, the Birdy Rucksack bag. I'm just not sure what size it would become when you open out its hidden flaps to accommodate the bike. Then there is the question of whether a bike made for a Birdy would tidily swallow a Brompton.
i like it!
Old 05-16-12, 02:06 PM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Here;s a poor mans version of a bike cover for train/bus/subway. Just something to cover it to keep it from prying eyes and avoid grease marking other passengers. NOT for airline checkin nor nack carrier

I use a thick trash bag. Using duct tape, I then seal the 2 short sides and one top leaving bottom open. Imagine a plastic skirt you drape over a folded bike frame. I put 2 holes on the 2 top corners. Using a luggage strap, I can then insert them on the 2 corners and secure them to wheel and close to the hinge. So when you lift the bike strap, it is actually lifting the bike, not the cover. I also have a hole on the top middle just in case I want to lift the frame top tube.

Pluses - cheap and you can put the plastic in your pocket when done. Minuses - not too elegant

pict from Passau to Vienna trip in 05. Had a dahon p8 inside
Attached Images
File Type: gif
train2.gif (58.4 KB, 638 views)
Old 05-17-12, 01:41 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JGaerlan
Here;s a poor mans version of a bike cover for train/bus/subway...
Nice!
Old 08-10-12, 05:56 AM
Swiftbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backpacking

Although I have not been thinking about backpacking my folding bike, I opened this thread and looked at the title link. I would think as with most backpacking you would do better with a framed pack than a soft one.
Old 09-03-12, 06:58 PM
MF Monk

Bikes: '12 Specialized Hardrock, '11 Specialized Sequoia, '12 Giant Expressway 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone explored using truck tire bags (the kind you store your snow tires in) as a makeshift folding bike tote?
Looks like it can be done for around $40.
https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Tote-Set-...gy_auto_text_y

or double bagging with cheaper tire bags
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Heavy-Du...words=tire+bag
Old 12-12-12, 10:45 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Milfordpearson
I am looking for the following. I wish to ride a folder with two small bags in solid panniers to my local airport 20 miles away. I then wish to dis-assemble the bike and put it into the solid panniers which fasten together to make a solid case in order to 100% protect the bike in transit. I just cannot face the worry of having a damaged bike when I arrive in a foreign country.

So I land at Geneva airport. I then wish to re-build the bike. Split the hard case into two panniers and then place my small bags in them and ride the 60 miles to my son's home.

So in summary, a folding bike, solid panniers which fix to bike for riding and clip together to make a fully protective box for the bike on the plane.

The nearest I can get to this is the following - a Freedom Won from Qoroz bikes in the UK. Their small wheeled bike dis-assembles and can be packed into a hard case for on the plane. They have not solved splitting the box so that the two parts can be mounted onto the bike.

https://www.qoroz.co.uk/docs/freedom_won_spec.pdf

The other nearest solution seems to be the BikeFriday with a trailer carrying a Simmonite case. This a closest as far as I am aware, but I would prefer not to have a trailer.

https://community.bikefriday.com/Trailers

Brian
The best I can see:
1- a Brompton taken un-bagged as a carry on in the overhead compartment. From what I've read on-line, they'll fit.
2- a carry-on legal backpack/rucksack. You can attach it to the seat after you land. See this for some ideas.
Old 02-18-13, 12:46 AM
sparklebot

Bikes: Brompton ML6, Motobecane Grand Touring, Motobecane Sport Touring Mixte, 1967 & 1978 Raleigh DL-1s, Republic Plato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have used this Canoeist #4 portage pack from Cooke Custom Sewing. It can hold 60lbs.
We put the Brompton in it and used a foam Thermarest to pad it, alternately you could just use filled stuff sacks.

P.S. Bromptons will fit overhead on a plane if there are 3 seats across, not two.

Last edited by sparklebot; 02-18-13 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-07-13, 12:27 PM
pctjeff23

Bikes: in process of finding a new one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very informative thread. For airline travel, I want to use a Pacific Reach Road which folds up to slightly over the checked bag limit of 62 inches. I think it would be around 67-70. Do you think it would be possible to split up the components into 2 bags in order to get the bags under 62? I guess I'd like to only check one of the bags and carry some components as carry-on luggage to avoid paying for two checked bags. I was thinking the 20'' wheels and the handlebars, and maybe the seat and post in the carry-on. Is this out of the question for the possibilty of any of those items being interpreted as a possible weapon? I can't see wheels or handlebars in any way being dangerous. Seatpost maybe.
Old 03-09-13, 06:27 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I'll have what these guys are having:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bi...rsaglieri2.jpg

M.
Old 08-09-13, 01:05 PM
wangta01
Stupendous Man

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Jetstream XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with the Dahon Suitcases?

Old 12-26-13, 09:55 AM
Alec E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been ignoring this incredibly useful thread for ages because I thought it was about bags for a specific model of folding bike called the "Foldaway."

Maybe a mod should nix the capitol F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.