Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Nexus 7 folding bike £213 today only (UK only)

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Nexus 7 folding bike £213 today only (UK only)

Old 03-22-18, 02:25 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Yeah I really don't get it, when you give a maximum load for a bridge you don't include the weight of the bridge with it. Why we have this in Europe I don't know it makes it confusing for the end customers especially when many brands don't write it this way so you have to work out the rider weight limit on a bike by bike basis.
Old 03-24-18, 02:31 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi fellow
today I got the bike and I am happy with it looks very good.I need it to adjust the front brake and some spokes on the rear wheel.After checking all the screw I went for a small ride about 8km and the bike ride very smooth.
Thank you for all the advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2b.jpg (716.1 KB, 226 views)
2c.jpg (1.20 MB, 228 views)
3a.jpg (924.9 KB, 228 views)
4.jpg (605.9 KB, 226 views)
4a.jpg (866.5 KB, 228 views)
5.jpg (526.4 KB, 225 views)
6.jpg (1,000.9 KB, 230 views)
7.jpg (1.26 MB, 232 views)
Old 03-24-18, 03:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Very nice,...and I see it's labeled as total weight capacity as Bike + Rider + Luggage = 115kgs/253lbs. Pretty solid,...

Bike weight is 12.8/28.2lbs, so Rider + Luggage capacity = 253lbs - 28.8 lbs = 224.8lbs. At least, that's what the European labeling states. Hmmmm,...

Last edited by tds101; 03-24-18 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 02:02 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by gdlerner
Hi fellow
today I got the bike and I am happy with it looks very good.I need it to adjust the front brake and some spokes on the rear wheel.After checking all the screw I went for a small ride about 8km and the bike ride very smooth.
Thank you for all the advice
Strangely your bike looks identical to mine but its a different model number and has a different rider weight capacity. Do you have a magnet to check against the forks and saddle post? Not sure why mine is 10kg less in capacity. My model number is 938023/30/020 UK OYM slightly different to yours. The image below shows a hair on the tube which I have since removed just incase you thought it might have been a crack in the frame. I didn't get a manual so no idea what that says about weight capacity. However I do have another Muddyfox bike and that has a manual that states 115kg. Mine was ex-display and could have been displayed for sometime. The bike came with a few small scratches but the tyres were brand new etc. It didn't come in its original box. I'm assuming later stock revised the weight capacity upwards possibly so that the weight limits match those of the standard Muddyfox manual. Alternatively you have either steel forks or you have a stronger saddlepost. Your frame and wheels look identical.

Last edited by Bonzo Banana; 03-25-18 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-18, 03:25 AM
Bonzo Banana

Found quite a big difference. My Shimano Nexus is the SG-C3000-7R not SG-C30001-7R which would indicate mine is definitely older I would of thought although still many bikes sold now with SG-C3000's and you can buy the hubs on their own and still features in their current line up. Seems to be a steel hub case rather than aluminium of the C3001. No indication of strength difference on the Shimano technical papers and most parts appear to be the same so unlikely to be the cause of the weight difference. Both appear to be designs meant for roller brakes that can also be used with V brakes. The newer Nexus is about 100g lighter.

https://bike.shimano.com/content/pro...3000-int7.html

Last edited by Bonzo Banana; 03-25-18 at 03:33 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-25-18, 06:39 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just checked my fork and it is made of aluminium
Old 03-25-18, 08:09 AM
Bonzo Banana

In which case I can't really see any structural difference between the bikes so I'm going to treat mine the same as your capacity and ride it at 100kg at worst the seat post might fail. There is no other difference I can see.
Old 03-26-18, 06:27 AM
Bonzo Banana

The outeredge folding bike bag fits this bike. It's a close fit but it does so without having to remove the saddle and saddle post. In case anyone reading this needs a a bag for it. For a 20" bike it folds very well, I'm sure the lack of external gearing probably helps. I think my other 20" folder with derailleur pushes the bag out more at the side meaning I have to remove the saddle as the zip won't quite go past that section at the top.
Old 03-27-18, 06:05 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What do you think about this bag
https://www.ebay.de/itm/RockBros-Fah...53.m2763.l2649
Old 03-27-18, 06:21 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by gdlerner
Looks pretty good but measure accurately to make sure it will fit. Sometime ago I bought a cheap folding bag that claimed compatibility with 20" folding bikes (something like bike lounge brand) it was great quality but it would not fit my 20" folding bike it was about 10% too small. Probably why it was reduced from £30 to £8. I see it is still available;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ULTIM...9/401510135034

I kept the bag though as had an old Bickerton bike that needed a bag.
So be wary that some bags are less than generous. Also material needs to be super strong for repeated use, really heavy duty. No compromise there. From what I've read many bike bags simply aren't up to the task of repeated use.
Old 03-27-18, 06:56 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think I will go for the rockbros bag normally cost 66€
Old 04-02-18, 12:08 PM
snoopy20

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hub is 100g lighter because it doesn't have the roller-brake feature. It's still the latest 7 speed design.

I've since fitted drops (which I can't live without) and subsequently moved to a Nexus 8 for the bar-end shifter support which I got a great deal on. This led to upgrading the rims. There's now very little left.

Mine is the 938023/30/020 version. I did read on the cheaper non gear-hub version (Evolve 100) the forks are steel but assumed it was a typo. I just checked and mine are aluminium.

The seat-post is bullet-proof. It's actually too heavy, you can upgrade to a wider, lighter and stronger lite-pro on aliexpress for about $20 delivered.

Andrew
Old 04-02-18, 02:02 PM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Can you put a link for the seatpost?
Do you think this one will work
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=401420658307&category=58101&pm=1&ds=0&t=1513848390000&ver=0&csphea der=1
Old 04-02-18, 02:36 PM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by snoopy20
The hub is 100g lighter because it doesn't have the roller-brake feature. It's still the latest 7 speed design.

I've since fitted drops (which I can't live without) and subsequently moved to a Nexus 8 for the bar-end shifter support which I got a great deal on. This led to upgrading the rims. There's now very little left.

Mine is the 938023/30/020 version. I did read on the cheaper non gear-hub version (Evolve 100) the forks are steel but assumed it was a typo. I just checked and mine are aluminium.

The seat-post is bullet-proof. It's actually too heavy, you can upgrade to a wider, lighter and stronger lite-pro on aliexpress for about $20 delivered.

Andrew
I think they are both roller brake versions as that appears to be the version also fitted when V brakes are used. The R at the end of the model number indicates roller brake compatible. The 3001 has a aluminium shell where as the 3000 appears to be steel (I think) but I don't think there is any other mechanical advantages to 3001. There used to be a more problematic version early in the 7 speed history and I think when SRAM stopped making hubs there was a big increase in production at the Czech factory of 7 speeds which peaked demand and some of those are meant to be inferior for a short time but those were European assembled models and didn't effect the fully Japanese made models.

To be honest though I'd still have preferred to have the 3001 model given a choice just because its a later version but happy with the 3000 model. What I'm most jealous of is the 10kg extra rider weight capacity but I'm not sure why there is the difference looking at them.

Frame welds on mine are excellent and everything seems great regarding frame construction. I'm fairly sure its a fuji-ta frame which you can't really get better at the budget end although always difficult to tell as Chinese factories copy one another so much. Universal cycles have a history of using them for their mid to higher end bikes as do many other importers in the UK.
Old 04-02-18, 02:56 PM
snoopy20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I think they are both roller brake versions as that appears to be the version also fitted when V brakes are used. The R at the end of the model number indicates roller brake compatible. The 3001 has a aluminium shell where as the 3000 appears to be steel (I think) but I don't think there is any other mechanical advantages to 3001. There used to be a more problematic version early in the 7 speed history and I think when SRAM stopped making hubs there was a big increase in production at the Czech factory of 7 speeds which peaked demand and some of those are meant to be inferior for a short time but those were European assembled models and didn't effect the fully Japanese made models.

To be honest though I'd still have preferred to have the 3001 model given a choice just because its a later version but happy with the 3000 model. What I'm most jealous of is the 10kg extra rider weight capacity but I'm not sure why there is the difference looking at them.

Frame welds on mine are excellent and everything seems great regarding frame construction. I'm fairly sure its a fuji-ta frame which you can't really get better at the budget end although always difficult to tell as Chinese factories copy one another so much. Universal cycles have a history of using them for their mid to higher end bikes as do many other importers in the UK.
Both are aluminium (I just tested my 3000). Interesting about the 100g saving. I wonder where it is! There is a horrible mild steel plate behind the sprocket which could be made into aluminium or plastic. Probably weighs 100g.

The extra 10kg loading limit is also odd. Maybe the 3001 hub has a higher loading.

Below is the seat-post, it's so cheap and so good! Literally half the weight of the original when you account for the brick of a seat clamp the original uses.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fold...792962171.html

One thing to note though, the foldy uses a 34.9mm seat post. Those posts are available in carbon but sparsely. I bought a cheap 1mm post shim to match it.

If you want to splash further cash...

New Rims (the original are single wall but are strong and light, nothing wrong with them)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MEIJ...618322220.html

Nexus 8 - great price!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-int...black-32-hole/

Change the crank first though, they're awful.

Done:

Double wall rims
SON Delux
Stainless spokes
Drop handlebars
Nexus 8, Jteck bar end shifter
Deore XT BB + crank
Deore XT Parallel-push brakes
Replacement mudguards (I'd cracked one)
Drop handlebars, Tekro levers, 110mm stem (chop the original off)
Brooks B17 Saddle
Lite-pro 33.4mm seat post + shim
Schwalbe tyres, road and BMX type
Stem cap (I 3d printed one to fit)
Replaced headset bearings (supplied damaged)
Shimano clipless pedals

Todo:

Headset replacement with aluminium quill. https://porkchopbmx.com/alloy-bicycle...low-potts-mod/

Mods:

Drill a small relief hole in the steerer folding part (it collects water and rusts the bolt).

Last edited by snoopy20; 04-02-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 03:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
The 8 speed Shimano Nexus hub is 132mm old. If the nuts are swapped out, I wonder if I can get the old down to around 120mm. Very interesting,...
Old 04-03-18, 01:06 AM
snoopy20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are both 132.5mm

The Nexus 8 has a bit wider range and one of those gears is a direct drive. Mainly though I got it for the Jtek bar end shifter support.
Old 04-03-18, 05:12 AM
Bonzo Banana

Good thread about the internals of the Nexus 7 here. Interesting that it has 2 disabled/unused gears one of which is the direct drive gear 1:1 but it shows the 2 low gears are partially direct gears as are the 2 highest with the middle gears in-between utilising both the increased and reduced gearing.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80888

On the Nexus instruction sheet which is identical for both 3000 and 3001 it says you should expect noise while operating in all but gear #1. Which makes sense looking at that forum posting.

I've got a Nexus 8 on my Carrera Subway 8 and could never use the direct drive gear, it just was never the gear I wanted to use apart from rare occasions. My cycling style seems to be I need 3 gears for hill climbing and 1 gear for flats and downhill. On the Nexus 8 I'm using gears 1-3 and then 8 with the in-between gears used only fleetingly. So in a way the Nexus 7 is setup better for me as overall the gears with extra complexity and less efficiency are the middle gears I wouldn't use.
Old 04-03-18, 09:20 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just checked and the seat post is 31,8cm and weight 910g
Anyone using a carbon seat post? like this one
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/world...ceBeautifyAB=0
Old 04-05-18, 07:05 AM
snoopy20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The original post I take it? yes it's heavy, especially when you factor in the steel seat bracket.

The one I linked to is half the weight but you need to make a shim. I bought one for £2 from sjscycles here in the UK. A shim is usually used to prevent the post jamming when you try to push it down. The aluminium frame tends to warp or get spots when it's welded.

I'm not a fan of carbon seat posts they tend to crack. Factor in if your bike falls over the huge seat post may be the first thing to take the force!

Last edited by snoopy20; 04-05-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 02:08 PM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I got my back and looks really strong and very good quality
Attached Images
IMG_20180404_174008.jpg (1.15 MB, 143 views)
IMG_20180404_174057.jpg (718.5 KB, 142 views)
IMG_20180404_174210.jpg (321.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 04-12-18, 03:17 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bag looks nice and you can fit your bike in most importantly.
Old 05-01-18, 10:59 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I just upgrade a carbon seat post and a seat now I safe 440g
Likes For gdlerner:
Old 05-01-18, 12:53 PM
snoopy20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's quite a saving! Seat looks someone uncomfortable though!

You are still using a shim rather than the 34.9mm post?

Next fit a Hollowtech 2 crank (with hollow arms). The BB on this foldy weighs a ton and you can save another 500g.
Old 05-01-18, 02:33 PM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The seatpost is 31,8cm like the original do you have a link for the cranks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.