Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Never been to a gym

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Never been to a gym

Old 12-30-18, 07:38 PM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never been to a gym

Last time I was in a gym was in college, 1988 or so. I ran track and cross country, coached the triathlete guys but stopped the gym thing. I've gotten several gym passes from different employers but couldn't find myself in those places. I'm healthy AF cause the bike says so. Anybody else?
Old 12-30-18, 07:44 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
How exactly does a bike tell you you're "healthy AF"?
Old 12-30-18, 08:11 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I'm healthy AF since my doc says so. I also go to the gym to lift, along with hiking and cycling.

It's good to mix things up.
Old 12-30-18, 08:11 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Mine tells my I'm fat and lazy.
Old 12-30-18, 08:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I go to the gym to hit the treadmill, 4 or 5 times per week. I'll mess with free weights if I have to wait, that's about it. Actually a fitness center, at work and one at home, which aren't formally gyms which brings up something I've been wondering about. For years. Although I'm only there for about an hour, it's been quite a few of those hours and in all that time I have never seen someone working hard on weights, working up a sweat, breathing hard. They do a little with free weights, sit around and wander a bit, 10 or 15 minutes later do something else. Is this common in regular gyms, or is it just my "fitness centers" where there isn't much direction and people perhaps don't know much about it?
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 12-30-18, 09:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just started going to the gym. It has made me worse at biking, and every joint in my body now hurts, and the range of motion in my right hip has decreased.

I am hoping that this is just the breaking in period.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-30-18, 09:19 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Gyms come in many forms and focuses and I've belonged to several over my lifetime. I have found a lot of benefits to gyms, but that said, there are many paths to health and fitness. If you find a gym that fits your goals and personality, great. If not, enjoy any of the 1,000s of other activities that can enhance your well-being. Outside of the gym, I ride bike (obviously), canoe, hike, swim, and have dabbled in trail running.

WPHamilton, I have also seen this phenomenon at many gyms and fitness centers, especially this time of year when the resolutioners come in. There is usually a minority of hard-core gym beasts wearing out the cast iron, a larger group of fitness enthusiasts who just want a good workout, and then there's the subset who are there to socialize, show off the latest in activewear and spend a lot of time looking in the mirrors. This is why its a good idea to shop around for a gym or fitness center to find one that suits your tastes.

Last edited by Myosmith; 12-30-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 09:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The one I joined doesn't allow people to drop the weights on the ground, grunt loudly while lifting, and it is about the furthest thing from a pick-up scene that I have ever seen. Everyone has to disinfect equipment after they touch it. They don't allow you to wear shorts south of the equator, so the plummers union is a bit miffed, but it makes for a nicer scene overall.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-30-18, 09:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Is your heart bhafpm?
gyms can bring out weirdos that may screw up your end goals. Just be prepared for those types when using a public membership type gym.
Old 12-30-18, 09:29 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
I find hiking and small dumbells at home to be sufficient to balance my workout needs. But i am not as in shape as many.
Old 12-30-18, 09:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I find hiking and small dumbells at home to be sufficient to balance my workout needs. But i am not as in shape as many.
I did at first, but now that the dumbells are older (21, 19 and 15), it gets harder to lift them.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-30-18, 09:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You don't need to go to the gym to be healthy. You go to get faster. If speed is not that important, why go? Unless its fun.
Old 12-30-18, 09:43 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I just started going to the gym. It has made me worse at biking, and every joint in my body now hurts, and the range of motion in my right hip has decreased.

I am hoping that this is just the breaking in period.
Are you working with a competent trainer? Your description of every JOINT hurting and a decreased ROM of your right hip makes me concerned. Muscle soreness and fatigue are normal when starting a new activity, but widespread joint pain and localized disability are red flags.

It sounds like you've found a good gym. Is it a Planet Fitness by chance?

Last edited by Myosmith; 12-30-18 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 09:49 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Rode 3k miles this year but the gym taught me that cycling has given me great cardio fitness, decent muscular and joint fitness for very specific muscles groups, but much less muscular fitness anywhere else.

Doing squats, lunges, dead lifts, abdominal and back workouts, as well as higher-rep upper body workouts is beginning to improve my muscular and general range of motion fitness. My posture improves, my endurance holding my form on the bike improves, and my overall well-being feels better as I combine some complementary exercise to go with my cycling. Even for cardio, nothing can peg my heart rate like the endless stairs.

So for me, the gym has improved my health in areas where cycling leaves a little to be desired. Cycling may still be the majority of my fitness routine but a few days a week working on core strength, and muscle groups that are secondary but still beneficial to cycling makes me a better rider but also more generally fit.

My gym has all sorts, the social patrons, the fat people on treadmills because their doctors told them to walk some weight off the massive pecs/dainty legs guys who skip leg day, women who can squat more than me with ease, guys who can do abs workouts all day long and still make it look easy, guys who can bench press more than I can leg press... a broad range of normal and compulsive people just like here.

I think doing the gym right can make cyclists better.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 12-30-18, 09:58 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
Mine tells my I'm fat and lazy.
We must have the same model of bike!
Likes For Doctor Morbius:
Old 12-30-18, 10:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Myosmith
Are you working with a competent trainer? Your description of every JOINT hurting and a decreased ROM of your right hip makes me concerned. Muscle soreness and fatigue are normal when starting a new activity, but widespread joint pain and localized disability are red flags.

It sounds like you've found a good gym. Is it a Planet Fitness by chance?
Thanks for your concern. I am a bit worried too, as I hate pain. (Pain would be an over-statement, but I do feel it in my joints, like my shoulders, knees, etc, and I never have had any such issues before -- primarily by scrupulously avoiding lifting one more milligram of weight than absolutely necessary).

I don't have a trainer, and am probably over-doing it.

https://www.toadalfitness.com

My oldest kid is seriously into working out, so he is now home for Xmas and showing me how to do stuff more sensibly.
Old 12-30-18, 10:07 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
The one I joined doesn't allow people to drop the weights on the ground, grunt loudly while lifting, and it is about the furthest thing from a pick-up scene that I have ever seen. Everyone has to disinfect equipment after they touch it. They don't allow you to wear shorts south of the equator, so the plumbers union is a bit miffed, but it makes for a nicer scene overall.
Hint, that's not a "real" gym. Real gyms are dirty, smelly and they don't have Swiss balls.

Old 12-30-18, 10:55 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
My kid's cycling coach a long time ago - (really). Got junior doing 1,000lb leg press @ age 15. That helped speed a whole bunch.
Old 12-30-18, 10:55 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started with calis , rope climbing , rings , push ups pull ups , dips , . i went into the gym for leg press and dead lifts, lil bitta leg curls . light bench press .

the bike has made me lazy and weak , but more active and stronger huh idk dyk ????
Old 12-31-18, 12:45 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

I did at first, but now that the dumbells are older (21, 19 and 15), it gets harder to lift them.
my youngest is 32. He is a good kid and lets me beat him up hills on the bike. He is a better musician however.
Old 12-31-18, 12:48 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Doge
My kid's cycling coach a long time ago - (really). Got junior doing 1,000lb leg press @ age 15. That helped speed a whole bunch.
thats pretty much what i look like. Then i wake up.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-31-18, 02:24 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
The only thing my bike tells me is I am saving a crap tonne of money not owning a car and have money to buy beer etc.
Old 12-31-18, 04:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Good health and physically fit mean two different things. Being in good health can mean the absence of disease., but if you can't do basic body movement such as 10 pull-ups, you're far from being physically fit.

Cyclist (and runners) aren't physically fit because they have pathetic upper bodies. Pro cyclist and their long distance running counterparts sacrifice the balance to win the race.
Old 12-31-18, 05:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingTech
Last time I was in a gym was in college, 1988 or so. I ran track and cross country, coached the triathlete guys but stopped the gym thing. I've gotten several gym passes from different employers but couldn't find myself in those places. I'm healthy AF cause the bike says so. Anybody else?

What's "healthy AF"?

How did your bike tell you?

Personally, I do a whole variety of different exercises and activities both outside and inside. At home and in a gym. It's all good.

Last edited by Machka; 12-31-18 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 05:56 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I have, and always have, a gym in my home. I don't have to go anywhere, talk to anyone or wait for a piece of equipment. I consider high quality fitness equipment as necessary as a refrigerator.

Last edited by nomadmax; 12-31-18 at 06:48 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.