Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sick burn at the bike shop

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sick burn at the bike shop

Old 07-28-20, 06:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think cyclists make cycling nutrition way too complicated.....and yes living on energy gels and sports drinks is a serious eating disorder.
+1. I only take them when out on a long day ride or on tour when there will be long stretches without services.
Old 07-28-20, 06:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by merrman
I'm a little horrified at the idea of vegenaise. It may even taste great but....
Why, especially if it tastes great?
REAL mayo is made with only one egg yolk. Everything else is vegan.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-28-20 at 07:00 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-28-20, 08:40 PM
merrman
Long time lurker

Bikes: 88 Marinoni Special, 86 Miyata 1000, 87 Miyata 712, 81 Apollo Imperial, 81 Apollo Gran Tour, 81 Apollo Gran Sport, Nishiki International, Diamond back ascent, Raleigh superbe, Raleigh sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Without getting into how much egg there is relative to other ingredients(i definately don't know) i assume some sort of trickery/wizardry is being used to make whatever veg is being used as an egg substitute taste like egg. I personally have never eaten any veg that tastes like egg. If the product is just meant to be a veg sauce as i suspect and not taste like mayo why are they trying to dupe us into believing it will be like mayo. As a side note i hope you see I'm not all that serious about any of this. I realize sometimes my attempts at humour get taken seriously.
Old 07-28-20, 08:51 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I think it's somewhere right around 2 measly pounds that makes the difference between the winner and the horse that's a length back in a horserace. Eat accordingly.
Old 07-29-20, 12:30 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Shrug re: veganaisse. I am mildly allergic to eggs and have a heart problem and high LDL. Just looking to win any nutritional struggle I can.

It does taste good to me. Mayo type of taste, but not as much mouth residue.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 07-29-20, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've found that I like brown mustard in a lot of stuff people use mayo for. Never used it much other than on turkey and tuna sandwiches.
Old 07-29-20, 05:10 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
But...
...it depends.

I picked up a second road bike for my wife and it came with Alex rims and I forget the hubs. She said the bike felt harder to pedal than her old Univega. The wheelset weighed 2600 grams. That's almost 6 lbs without a cassette, tires, or skewers. I swapped them out for some Fulcrum training wheels, not extremely light, but she felt the difference right away.

John
Should have had her get the salad instead.
Old 07-29-20, 07:36 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Olive oil on the chain?
Old 07-29-20, 07:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Should have had her get the salad instead.
I guess you’ve never seen my wife.

John
Old 07-29-20, 08:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
For those who do things in the kitchen: Vegannaise and Greek Yogurt mixed 50/50 are a great way to reduce trans fats without losing flavor if you're making potato salad, etc.
I am not against lowering fats/sugars/etc, but my eye is primarily going to be on calories per serving. If it lowers the calories while maintaining or increasing the serving size, & it tastes like how it is supposed to represent, then i'd give it a hoot.
Old 07-29-20, 08:22 AM
Danhedonia

Originally Posted by Troul
I am not against lowering fats/sugars/etc, but my eye is primarily going to be on calories per serving. If it lowers the calories while maintaining or increasing the serving size, & it tastes like how it is supposed to represent, then i'd give it a hoot.
If you are focused on calories above other things, then I am guessing you've been fortunate enough to not experience serious health issues. (For which I am glad, I wish them on no one).

All of us are put together differently (except twins), and that means we may or may not need to do stuff to ensure that we can enjoy life day by day.

I always feel that if I can do something positive for my health, than I'll give it a go.
Old 07-29-20, 08:28 AM
Troul 

If you are focused on calories above other things, then I am guessing you've been fortunate enough to not experience serious health issues. (For which I am glad, I wish them on no one).

All of us are put together differently (except twins), and that means we may or may not need to do stuff to ensure that we can enjoy life day by day.

I always feel that if I can do something positive for my health, than I'll give it a go.
Don't get me wrong on not being concerned of nutrition, I just found what works for me to manage certain health issues comes down to first monitoring calories followed by the rest of the aspects. I consume enough of the needed things that my body requires for vit/mins that it boils down to limiting how much of it I ingest so I am not over working the breakdown system & wasting it in the waste or putting it around the waist.
Old 07-29-20, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but my understanding is that cholesterol levels in the blood are generally far more reflective of the amount of we're producing internally vs. the amount of it we eat (I believe the figure is our bodies produce about 80% of it), so marginal reductions in the "bad fats" we eat are going to have very limited benefits. I know that my bad cholesterol levels were high when I was a morbidly obese inactive person, but as a normal weight very active person who doesn't pay much attention to the types of fats I eat (and I love red meat), my cholesterol levels are textbook perfect.

Not arguing I'm right and you're wrong, btw, just that it isn't a simple difference between "you care" and "I don't". If what you're doing works for you and keeps you healthy, then keep at it, by gum!

I cut mayo out a while ago for caloric reasons and I didn't use it enough for it to be much of a sacrifice. But if I was so inclined to substitute for it, I'll be honest, the name "vegenaise" just sounds like a venereal disease to me so I've never been tempted to try it.
Old 07-29-20, 11:06 AM
Danhedonia

livedarklions According to my Dad's cardiologist and mine, LDL is more of an elusive cause-effect chain. (I am currently focused only on LDL, as my other numbers are great). There's no fixed figure for how much is our body vs. external, although you are absolutely correct that "you can't control it completely through diet." There's also a chicken-egg factor with ingesting a lot of bad fats and how that prompts your body to produce lipids in ways that may be bad for one's heart health.

And current meds do an amazing job at driving down LDL - but with some associated costs. I've started statins; we'll see where we can go with those.

I have a cheese habit. I have eaten cheese at a pace that makes me look like a meth-addled Wisconsin-based mouse concerned that the world will end tomorrow. There were/are a couple other dietary habits to overcome, but the dairy is at the "dude, WTF??!??!" level.

What I can tell you is that over the past 10 years (which have featured some VERY varied health and eating habits in my life) my LDL has varied from 70 to 130 due to diet alone. Note I said "varied;" it hasn't simply risen with age.

TLDR: Yes, some fat levels are not attributable solely to diet, but diet can make a big difference.
Old 07-29-20, 01:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

livedarklions According to my Dad's cardiologist and mine, LDL is more of an elusive cause-effect chain. (I am currently focused only on LDL, as my other numbers are great). There's no fixed figure for how much is our body vs. external, although you are absolutely correct that "you can't control it completely through diet." There's also a chicken-egg factor with ingesting a lot of bad fats and how that prompts your body to produce lipids in ways that may be bad for one's heart health.

And current meds do an amazing job at driving down LDL - but with some associated costs. I've started statins; we'll see where we can go with those.

I have a cheese habit. I have eaten cheese at a pace that makes me look like a meth-addled Wisconsin-based mouse concerned that the world will end tomorrow. There were/are a couple other dietary habits to overcome, but the dairy is at the "dude, WTF??!??!" level.

What I can tell you is that over the past 10 years (which have featured some VERY varied health and eating habits in my life) my LDL has varied from 70 to 130 due to diet alone. Note I said "varied;" it hasn't simply risen with age.

TLDR: Yes, some fat levels are not attributable solely to diet, but diet can make a big difference.

Sure, but in my case, I suspect that my calorie reduction and activity boost caused the large change in LDL. Like all things, genetics probably plays a huge role in this, and frankly, I think the science in these areas tends to be fundamentally controverted. It does appear, however, that aerobic exercise can improve the HDL/LDL balance.

I'm from Minnesota, controlling my cheese intake was probably the hardest part of my dietary reform, but in my case, that was a calorie-driven decision. I'm probably eating a higher proportion of meat in my diet than ever before, and my LDL numbers have never been normal before and have been now for a few years.

I guess this is just my long way of saying that in my case, calorie control really is my LDL control, along with activity increase. My LDL number came down with my weight even before I started ramping up the physical activity. I have no doubt that might not work for other people with genetics playing such a huge role.

To be clear, I don't think we're disagreeing on anything here, I'm just some internet rando who heard the 80% number somewhere, but I've definitely heard from doctors that fats content in diet is probably a relatively small factor in controlling LDL. It's a measure though that's relatively easy to do by substitution, so I think you're right to do it when you've got levels that are proving difficult to control. Not that it should matter to anyone whether I think you're right or wrong, BTW, I just want to make it clear that I'm not arguing with you.

Good health, my friend!

Old 07-30-20, 09:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Or---------------some of us that ride for the pure pleasure of it really dont think that speed is the holy grail of biking. I eat what I like.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-30-20, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but my understanding is that cholesterol levels in the blood are generally far more reflective of the amount of we're producing internally vs. the amount of it we eat (I believe the figure is our bodies produce about 80% of it), so marginal reductions in the "bad fats" we eat are going to have very limited benefits.
I worked with a guy who had a high cholesterol problem that runz in the family. That's basically what he told me his docs told him: There was not much he could do diet-wise to significantly reduce his numbers.
Old 07-30-20, 10:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I worked with a guy who had a high cholesterol problem that runz in the family. That's basically what he told me his docs told him: There was not much he could do diet-wise to significantly reduce his numbers.
The other thing I ignore is sodium content. Nutritionists go crazy on the subject, cardiologists generally say it isn't an issue unless you have something like congestive heart failure or kidney issues. The RDA for sodium is a made-up number with no particular significance. As a control on high blood pressure, it's probably useless. Even the most optimistic claim is that reducing sodium can take off a max of about 2 points of BP.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-30-20, 10:52 AM
indyfabz

The other thing I ignore is sodium content. Nutritionists go crazy on the subject, cardiologists generally say it isn't an issue unless you have something like congestive heart failure or kidney issues. The RDA for sodium is a made-up number with no particular significance. As a control on high blood pressure, it's probably useless. Even the most optimistic claim is that reducing sodium can take off a max of about 2 points of BP.
I'm like Lot's wife when it comes to salt. I am made of it. Normal BP.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-30-20, 04:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by merrman
I'm a little horrified at the idea of vegenaise. It may even taste great but....
But???? What???? It is literally just a vegan alternative to mayo. The ingredients are much less scary than other things I have seen:
Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Filtered Water, Brown Rice Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Protein, Sea Salt, Mustard Flour, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

I mean I do understand that water is Dihydrogen Monoxide and that stuff will kill you but beyond that everything else is just fine and dandy by me.
Old 07-30-20, 04:48 PM
Troul 

same with booze. Statistical data formulated around generated assumptions.
Old 07-30-20, 06:53 PM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
First real high school job was salad bar at a chain restaurant. People would "just get a salad" then drench it in a river of dressing
blach, I have had people ask me for "lots" of dressing, by this they mean enough to make it look like they are having a bowl of cereal.
Old 07-30-20, 07:07 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
blach, I have had people ask me for "lots" of dressing, by this they mean enough to make it look like they are having a bowl of cereal.
I have this problem with Parmesan cheese. I just tell servers “give me an amount you think is disgusting, then add 50%.”