Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Differences in Campy Rings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 06:40 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts

Are their differences between the Nuovo Gran Sport and the Strada chainrings? I see the obvious crankarm differences and the rings look close, but something bugs me. Splain it to me Lucy.

NR

NGS
Old 02-10-21, 08:44 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
People who can afford Record know how to count?
Old 02-10-21, 10:19 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Q: In a “V” of flying geese, why does one leg of the V look longer than the other?
A: The long leg has more geese in it.

Edit: in this case the goose count appears to be the same and I was fooled by an optical illusion. I can't read the tooth count engraved on the NR set to be sure it's the same as the 52 on the NGS but I get 26 teeth on 180 degrees of ring not hiding under the arm.
The two photos are different resolution and shot from different camera angles -- the B&W shot of the NGS is more elliptical than what I take to be the Velobase photo of the NR. The GS is magnified compared to the NR. But because the GS crank arm is pointing more toward the camera it is foreshortened and appears to be ~ the same length on the image as the NR crank (9.8 cm vs 10.0 cm on my monitor.) This fools you into thinking the images are the same size and the rings on the NR must therefore be smaller. They do look "different" but perhaps they are not. I know I would have to look at physical specimens of both, side by side, in order to tell differences, especially in finish.

The only difference I can see is that the "Campagnolo [blurred tooth count]" on the NR is engraved along the inner edge of the big ring, while the NGS photo shows "Campagnolo <52> " nearer the outer edge. The early catalogue photos (or whatever you call those lovely old etching-type illustrations) show Record rings engraved as in the Velobase shot. But the ?1982 catalogue shows the Record crankset part 1049 with outboard-engraved rings and the Gran Sport part 0304 with inboard engravings. https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...s_page_25.html , click ahead to p. 26 to see GS. Furthermore, the illustrations a page or two further on of the rings as individual spare parts, with different part numbers called out for Record vs. Gran Sport rings show the opposite: inboard on the Record and outboard on the GS -- like the OP's photos. Now, if the rings were all visually similar, the photographer might not have bothered to use the correct loose part for catalogue photos, as long as the company shipped the correct ring to fulfill an order. So I adduce this as evidence that the location of the engraving is not a "tell", at least not in catalogue photos, as to what the actual differences might be, if any, between NR and 5-hole GS rings.

If the "alloy" and the finish were different on the GS cf. NR, then the rings cannot be "the same."

My own Record crank dated 1983 bought used ~10 years ago came with out-board engraved rings, as per the ?1982 catalogue I am citing here.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 02-10-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 10:36 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
I am not a Campagnolo expert and the OP is asking a question that seems important to him.....any Campy experts care to weigh in on the topic?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-10-21, 11:11 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
I was under the impression that rings were the same, if not slightly different alloy and finish.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-10-21, 11:12 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
A look at a catalog showed me that the part number for the rings differed only in the addition of GS and a BCD number to that of the NR crank. 753GS/144

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 02-10-21, 03:50 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Thanks for the responses, for some reason I'm no longer getting notifications when I get replies to my posts. And I'm buried in work. I'm looking at each of these two cranksets at home and I vaguely remember someone commenting on NGS cranks...maybe @cudak888?
Sure I count, my 'no year' NGS is a 53/42 with Patent Campagnolo <53> on the inboard (smaller) web of the outside face. My 84 NR has a 52 ring with Brev Campagnolo on the outboard/larger web on the outside face.
They just look different and I can't take clean pics because one is on my bike on the trainer. Important? Maybe not, unless I want to sell either and want to be accurate with my descriptions. @CV-6, a different part number suggests a different part I figure.
The finished on the GS has been tarnished with shop storage but the alloy seems to be the same.
Likes For clubman: