Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Installation And Removal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-04-21, 11:45 AM
wheelingmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

After using a set of Reynolds Assault carbon wheels for a few years, I decided to switch them out with a set of Ican FL50 wheels. I have taken tires on and off wheels many times on the Reynolds and never had any issues. Usually, I can fix a flat and back on the road in 5 minutes.

These Ican wheels are totally different! I spent almost 15 minutes just trying to unseat the bead! After that getting the tire off wasn't hard. Then putting the tire back on is another battle! After wrestling with it for another 15 minutes, I finally got it back on. Over 30 minutes to change a tube is ridiculous!

Does anyone have any tips or portable tools I can use to unseat and install the tires more easily? The Kool Stop Tire Jack would help with installation but but it's way too big to carry in my saddle bag.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-21, 11:59 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Cut the handle short on the Kool Stop tire jack.. then you can put it in a saddle bag.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-04-21, 12:13 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelingmike

Does anyone have any tips or portable tools I can use to unseat and install the tires more easily? T
Regarding installing the tire, my trick is to start opposite of the valve stem, and install the bead evenly in both directions towards the valve stem. As you place the bead onto the rim, pinch the two beads together and pull the tire so the beads sit into the trough of the rim. Keep doing this (pinch and pull) until you reach the valve. By ensuring the bead is in the trough of the rim, you're giving yourself more slack as you finish up the installation.

It's hard to describe the process, but I did see a youtube clip on this procedure. I'll try to find the link.

I have not used tire levers to install a tire is probably 20 years since I've been using the above method.

Also, warming the tire in the sun helps too.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 03-04-21, 12:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
What MudPie said. On some rims the center channel isn't as deep, and some tires are on the tight side of spec. And tire jacks should only be used in the most desperate situations. And my favorite tire levers are Pedro's, available in many colors.
Old 03-04-21, 01:24 PM
wheelingmike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I did try to move the beads into the middle groove of the wheel as much as possible. Even then, it's still a bear to get over that last 10% of the tire. Like I said, never had this issue on the Reynolds. I can easily roll the tire over with just a little force. It seems like the Ican wheels are slightly bigger in diameter or something. Everything is just so much tighter.
Old 03-04-21, 01:39 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Lots of wheels are like that. Imo its spill over from TL compatibility. It very annoying when usually you can do the job with a pair of plastic levers or your hands, no problem. Often you also need fairly high pressure to "seat" ordinary clinchers making the job, road side, even more annoying. I really wish road TL and hook less rims would go the way of the dodo.
Old 03-04-21, 02:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Cut the handle short on the Kool Stop tire jack.. then you can put it in a saddle bag.
Seems a shame to lop off most of the leverage benefit of the Kool Stop bead jack. Get a Kool Stop to use at home, and a VAR portable bead jack to put in your saddle bag or jersey pocket.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/va...evers/?geoc=US
Old 03-04-21, 02:11 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

Does anyone have any tips .
1. The tires will stretch some with use, that'll help.
2. Rims that are made for tubeless like to have tubeless rim tape instead of thicker Velox or Zefal, that'll help.
3. On new installs, it helps to pre-stretch the tire on the rim without a tube, so you can get your lever hooked under the bead and around a spoke, let it sit for a while to stretch out one section, then move the unseated part to a different section and stretch that out for a while. Once you can get the tire on without levers and without a tube, then you can put the tube in easier.

You don't want to be doing this with a flat repair on the road.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-04-21, 02:50 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
You mentioned it took a while just to unseat the bead from the rim. I ran into one of those last year. After I finally got it off, I put some talc on it, but it wasn't my bike and I'll never know if that helped the next time.

If you can use a thinner rim strip or tape, that might help next time.
Old 03-04-21, 09:48 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Over 30 minutes to change a tube is ridiculous!
Originally Posted by MudPie
Regarding installing the tire, my trick is to start opposite of the valve stem, and install the bead evenly in both directions towards the valve stem. As you place the bead onto the rim, pinch the two beads together and pull the tire so the beads sit into the trough of the rim. Keep doing this (pinch and pull) until you reach the valve. By ensuring the bead is in the trough of the rim, you're giving yourself more slack as you finish up the installation.
OP indicates he is not tubeless. In that case, when installing the tire, start at the valve stem and finish mounting opposite the valve. But you are correct for TL.
Old 03-05-21, 06:33 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I listened to my fingers and got a Crankbrothers Speedier tire lever. Lifetime warranty, no moving parts to fail, time saver extraordinaire and only $6.
Old 03-05-21, 11:27 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Seems a shame to lop off most of the leverage benefit of the Kool Stop bead jack. Get a Kool Stop to use at home, and a VAR portable bead jack to put in your saddle bag or jersey pocket.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/va...evers/?geoc=US
I like this tool for all but the most difficult tires.
Old 03-05-21, 11:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
After you cut the handle short on the Koolstop tire jack, you will have the same leverage as the VAR. And it will be stronger and able to use on MTB tires as well.
Old 03-06-21, 03:26 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
I feel your pain OP.

I have a rim / tire combo that brings me to tears - Ambrosio + Continental.
just get the best tire levers, 4 of them and work carefully around the circumference of the wheel.
I was literally working about 1cm at a time putting the tires on when new. Took over 30 minutes for each tire.

I also take precautions to avoid getting a flat. I know it’s frowned upon here but I put sealant in the tubes to prevent minor punctures from ruining my day.
Old 03-06-21, 09:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Sometimes people just don't do the right thing for whatever reason. Guy and his kid brought a mtb wheel in today. They'd apparently spent 30mins trying to get the tire off and gave up. I got the tire off w/ my hands and had a new tube installed in about a minute and a half.
Old 03-15-21, 08:46 PM
TRECK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take bisegrips on all you rides to break the bead