Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Silca Pump Maintenance

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Silca Pump Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 06:39 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Silca Pump Maintenance

My 84 Trek road bike has the original Silca pump. It still works fine but I am wondering if there is any lube / preservative I can put inside for the seal.
Whats your thoughts, if it works don't fix it ?
Old 07-12-21, 06:54 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
not sure that it matters a lot, but I've used Phil Wood grease... mostly because it doesn't seem to break down over time. In contrast, I've seen white lithium grease dry up and get pretty solid over time.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-12-21, 08:25 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Petroleum jelly (vaseline) is what many of us used a million years ago. I've found with old dry pump leathers that proofide and other leather dressings work nicely to soften them.
Brent
Old 07-12-21, 09:16 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
+1 on Vaseline. That is because it is so available and it works. One of the things that think is that if it works well on skin, then it should work well on leather. After all leather is skin. Yes, I know there are differences, however, aside from the specialty creams, this generalization works.
Old 07-12-21, 10:25 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I have used Proofide on my Brooks saddles, I will try it first.
Old 07-13-21, 08:52 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Thanks for the info guys. I have used Proofide on my Brooks saddles, I will try it first.
Proofide is good for softening the leather if it has dried out. But after letting the Proofide soak in for a day or so I would add a lubricant such as the vaseline or greases mentioned.
Brent
Old 07-13-21, 09:32 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
In case lubing doesn't work, note that after failing to revive the pump leather on one of my three Silca Impero pumps with multiple attempts at lubing and conditioning, I decided to replace the leather. Although Silca sells leathers for their floor pumps, they don't seem to sell Impero leathers. The only place I could find them was HIGH END Used & Vintage Bike Shop! We stock Campagnolo XTR TA Suntour Parts NIB NOS
Old 07-13-21, 09:41 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
The rubber seal where you insert the tire valve can also dry out, I just had to replace one.
Old 07-14-21, 09:19 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
All the above will work but you should be aware Silca makes what they recommend we use, NFS leather conditioner and pump lube, it's not cheap for a 1 oz bottle but I figure the pumps are expensive and I expect my kids will be using them someday when I am not around.
Old 07-15-21, 01:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
The rubber seal where you insert the tire valve can also dry out, I just had to replace one.
A dab of petroleum jelly from time to time can save this, aids sealing and on /off of the chuck, all good.
Old 07-15-21, 01:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by easyupbug
All the above will work but you should be aware Silca makes what they recommend we use, NFS leather conditioner and pump lube, it's not cheap for a 1 oz bottle but I figure the pumps are expensive and I expect my kids will be using them someday when I am not around.
Any scientific or otherwise guess what the secret sauce may be?

I have used mineral oil with good results both reviving and maintaining the seals, especially after cleaning the sludge off the inside of the main body tube.

Most of my ancient Silca's work just fine and some are cracked at the top as many are so they are fully retired from active duty, acting as a Talisman but would get you home if necessary.

At this point for me, they are mainly a flourish, so many C+V bikes look incomplete to me without one, especially if they have a pump peg, holder, etc.

I also carry an inflator/pump, spare tube, far too many tools, etc. so the Silca is mainly for fun and correctness style points for me.

Last edited by merziac; 07-15-21 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 02:44 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by merziac
Any scientific or otherwise guess what the secret sauce may be?
My son-in-law racer swears by Nix Frix Shun the UK outfit and I suspect this is there lube plus a leather conditioner. I rotate religiously through bikes so do a lot of pumping and add a couple drops a couple times a year and my now vintage pump feels great but can't really say that it adds life as I rebuild the pump only a couple years back and use the Silca NFS on the piston gasket and Molykote PFPE on the chuck gasket.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 07-15-21, 02:49 PM
merziac

My son-in-law racer swears by Nix Frix Shun the UK outfit and I suspect this is there lube plus a leather conditioner. I rotate religiously through bikes so do a lot of pumping and add a couple drops a couple times a year and my now vintage pump feels great but can't really say that it adds life as I rebuild the pump only a couple years back and use the Silca NFS on the piston gasket and Molykote PFPE on the chuck gasket.
Ahh, mad science.

I broke down awhile back and sprung for Silca's synergetic chain lube awhile back and finally just used it when I installed a new cassette. Sort of cleaned the chain checked it for stretch and on with the new, it had been jumping around a bit before but may have mainly been my crappy adjustment.

That lube made a huge difference even if the old cassette was worn, very impressed and the bottle alone is almost worth the cost, really applies it the way I like it to, very small steady drop by drop with no dripping or wasting, not a single drop on the floor and all on the chain where I want it, all good.

Last edited by merziac; 07-15-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 03:06 PM
easyupbug 

Originally Posted by merziac
Ahh, mad science.
I come from industrial maintenance and found sometimes it is mad science and unfortunately sometimes it turns out to be mad science spin. But when it's a well established company with a reputation worth holding onto and being careful with it it is a pretty safe bet.

Last edited by easyupbug; 07-15-21 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 07-15-21, 03:35 PM
merziac

I come from industrial maintenance and found sometimes it is mad science and unfortunately sometimes it turns out to be mad science spin. But when it's a well established company with a reputation worth holding onto and being careful with it it is a pretty safe bet.
Absolutely, I have been a mech/tech all my life from very early on, bikes, fomoco and ASE Sr. Master tech and drag racing motorcycles twice a week for the better part of 25 years.

At work, the track, on the road and everywhere in between, combine mad science with mad and practical skills and we are golden, making $$$ and delivering many azz whippins as well as receiving plenty too.