Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Cosmic Hubs Service Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-09-20, 02:29 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts

Any assistance with these would be greatly appreciated.

Before I do any cosmetic damage, anyone care to let me know how to go about servicing these hubs. I have searched for online documentation and come up empty handed.

I am good with servicing the hub except knowing how to remove the bearing covers, the silver Aluminum caps, how do they come off on these hubs.

Both sides of the hub appear the same, not sure if the silver covers unscrew, they pry straight off separating at the seam or there is another approach to removing the covers. Nothing to really grip on to in the way of a tool face.

Other Mavic hubs I viewed in the past similar to these had pin tool holes and appeared as though they unscrewed however these do not.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-09-20 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 04:55 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Finding Mavic technical documentation sucks. I'd tell you to contact them, and you may as well try, but the company is currently kinda bankrupt so you might not get a reply. I'd bet you though that it's such a slight press fit. The worst possible case is I've encountered some wheels (some older Zipps) where you literally had to detention the wheel to remove bearing shields, which is friggin ridiculous. I'd probably try to gently pry the cover off.
Old 05-10-20, 01:51 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Finding Mavic technical documentation sucks. I'd tell you to contact them, and you may as well try, but the company is currently kinda bankrupt so you might not get a reply. I'd bet you though that it's such a slight press fit. The worst possible case is I've encountered some wheels (some older Zipps) where you literally had to detention the wheel to remove bearing shields, which is friggin ridiculous. I'd probably try to gently pry the cover off.
Got your reply, thanks for the response. Well you were correct, I had posted in a couple of different forums seeking assistance and was not getting any knowledgable response. Don't think they made a lot of these wheels with these particular bearing caps, most Cosmic's came with the black plastic bearing covers. Anyway tried twisting the covers, one side spun however didn't unscrew so pulled out a small flat bladed screw driver and pushed and pried staying with in the limits of doing any cosmetic damage. Detected a bit of separation at the cap/hub seam and eventually the cap popped off. Caps have an inner lip that is just a pressed/snap fit in a grove on the hub outer lip.

Yes, Mavic online documentation is very sparse and I had known about their recent bankruptcy claim and this is somewhat what motivated me to sort these out before they went completely offline.

Thanks again for the reply, take care!
Old 05-10-20, 08:20 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

will this help. I have tubular wheels. Bottom page might be your front hub. If like mine, spokes need to come out, I think. My bearings are fine for now. If it comes to removing spokes, off to my LBS. to access spoke nipples , I have to remove the friggin tubular.good luck. If your bearings are fine, just ride.KB
Old 05-10-20, 10:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
IIRC Mavic went to a single use axle cone (actually a sleeve that the bearing ID fit on) in the mid 1990s. When a readjustment or a bearing replacement is done this "cone/sleeve" needs to be replaced. The cone/sleeve is deformed (like a rivet) on it's installation. Hence the single use. I always felt this was a stupid design, a cost savings Mavic would say. I'll speculate that some riders were over tightening the pin holed preload ring, as found on the older hub designs, so Mavic came up with a design that eliminated hone adjustment. Andy
Old 05-10-20, 10:36 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC Mavic went to a single use axle cone (actually a sleeve that the bearing ID fit on) in the mid 1990s. When a readjustment or a bearing replacement is done this "cone/sleeve" needs to be replaced. The cone/sleeve is deformed (like a rivet) on it's installation. Hence the single use. I always felt this was a stupid design, a cost savings Mavic would say. I'll speculate that some riders were over tightening the pin holed preload ring, as found on the older hub designs, so Mavic came up with a design that eliminated hone adjustment. Andy
Hello Andrew, does this apply to my front hub, as shown in the diagram above ? I had no problem , rebuilding the rear . Thanks, KB
Old 05-10-20, 11:10 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/te...l-2015_2_1.pdf
Old 05-10-20, 11:11 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by m_sasso
Got your reply, thanks for the response. Well you were correct, I had posted in a couple of different forums seeking assistance and was not getting any knowledgable response. Don't think they made a lot of these wheels with these particular bearing caps, most Cosmic's came with the black plastic bearing covers. Anyway tried twisting the covers, one side spun however didn't unscrew so pulled out a small flat bladed screw driver and pushed and pried staying with in the limits of doing any cosmetic damage. Detected a bit of separation at the cap/hub seam and eventually the cap popped off. Caps have an inner lip that is just a pressed/snap fit in a grove on the hub outer lip.

Yes, Mavic online documentation is very sparse and I had known about their recent bankruptcy claim and this is somewhat what motivated me to sort these out before they went completely offline.

Thanks again for the reply, take care!
Sweet, glad that worked out. Classic wheels to be sure.
Old 05-10-20, 02:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by kcblair
Hello Andrew, does this apply to my front hub, as shown in the diagram above ? I had no problem , rebuilding the rear . Thanks, KB
I don't know. Does the hub have the pin holed preload adjuster, or not? Andy
Old 05-10-20, 02:33 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

I don't know. Does the hub have the pin holed preload adjuster, or not? Andy
nope, I can adjust the preload.
Old 05-10-20, 05:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Nope to which question? I believe you have the older pin holed preload adjusting version but your reply is vague. Andy
Old 05-10-20, 07:10 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Nope to which question? I believe you have the older pin holed preload adjusting version but your reply is vague. Andy
Not quite sure what the pin holed preload is, but I can adjust the preload, according to the instruction booklet. KB