Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loose Screws

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Loose Screws

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 02:49 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Loose Screws

Anyone got a good source for all the tiny screws you manage to drop and can't find i a hardware store?
Old 01-10-21, 04:49 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
McMaster-Carr is my go-to oddball hardware provider: https://www.mcmaster.com/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-10-21, 05:55 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
McMaster-Carr is my go-to oddball hardware provider: https://www.mcmaster.com/
Do you have a commercial account with them? I would like to order certain items but I can’t.
Old 01-10-21, 05:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
If you want the fancy stuff https://www.protiglobal.com/main.php granted yes they mainly focus on stuff for motorcycles but at one point they did offer bike specific stuff and still offer useful bolts in forged titanium that would work on bikes. However for normal stainless bolts and such McMaster-Carr isn't a bad place they seem to have just about everything. You might also consider a bench top mat for working on stuff and maybe a floor mat of a easy to find color and maybe a good magnet. Or when you are removing bolts throw down an old white towel and that might help, that is what I do sometimes.
Old 01-10-21, 06:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Do you have a commercial account with them? I would like to order certain items but I can’t.
I have an account that I don't think is considered a "commercial" level with M-C. I do order from then monthly though. Andy
Old 01-10-21, 07:30 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I've ordered from them as a consumer and had product sent to my house, without a commercial account..
Old 01-11-21, 03:08 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I buy a second bike with everything I need on it, then sell whatever is unwanted. I now have a set of winter wheels, a spare set of coaster hub internals as well as a ready set of bolts from such stripped bikes. Such is the joy of bikes from the bottom end of the market that were in production for forty years or so.
Old 01-11-21, 06:35 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
If you are looking for tiny fasteners for your bike I suggest you try your LBS or local bike coop as many places will keep spares.
Old 01-11-21, 08:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
How small is "tiny"? The Home Depot web site lists a variety of metric bolts down to M3 which is pretty small.
Old 01-11-21, 12:05 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
At the risk of sounding obvious, what's wrong with the LBS or co-op (if there is one in your vicinity)?
Old 01-11-21, 02:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
No. I ordered respirator and filters from them in the middle of our smokey days. Added up to more than $100 and some of it was on long back order (made quite clear on the website: COVID). All online and a very good experience.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I have a place here in town called Tacoma Screw. If the part is real obscure, you could probably find a similar place or contact them. They recently found me (for free) a couple screws for the Campy top tube brake cable clamp for my '72 Torpado.
Tacoma Screw. I use to live in Seattle. Many years ago I got turned on the the Lee Oskar harmonicas; the first 10 hole harmonicas that could be taken apart and rebuilt like a quality musical instrument. Held together with two beautiful SS screws and nuts. But - the screws took a small Phillips screwdriver, not and especially everyday tool and one that will not be found in your usual club or bar at night. Nut was a likewise beautiful flat, square job with nice fluting to the edges. A small crescent wrench works well but finger pressure doesn't.

Now - harmonicas jam - especially in environments with food and un-brushed teeth - a common occurrence at music jams where you show up at 7 and play after 10. The food particles jam between the reed and the plate. YOu have to remove the cover plates to get access. Doing this with you all-important key of A harmonica (all those guitar players want to play in E!) in the near dark on a pub table with those screws (and no spares) and my eyes - that's asking a lot. So:

I go to Tacoma Screw, buy little #2 zinc plated round heads. 3/4" long and matching nuts. Lots. Assemble with those screws. Cut the excess with pliers. Hit the ends with a file down to almost the nut surface. Done. Now I can take that harp apart in low light with a dinner knife and my finger on the nut. Lose it? I've got a dozen spares in my bag.

Yeah, I could get those screws or equivalents elsewhere. But long before the internet, I walked into my local Tacoma Screw and found those in minutes. If for that alone, I will always be grateful to them. (A salesman there also advised me years later to go to Sears when I was looking at routers. Said that a good router needed power and weight. Everything else speeded up working with it, was very nice but not essential to a good job. Pros needed the speed. I went to Sears and paid about half their cheapest for a big Craftsman that has served me very well.)

Portland has a Tacoma Screw on Columbia Blvd.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-11-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 04:01 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
My local hardware stores have a decent selection of metric hardware, much much better than Home Depot/Lowes.
If they don't have it, McMaster-Carr.
I do a lot of 3d printing, so I buy kits of assorted metric screws off Amazon to use in various projects.