Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question about bike chain compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 03:05 AM
Yuzu562

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, Im fairly new when it comes to biking and it’s knowledge around parts and recently bought shimano 105 R7000 calipers and a crankset for my bike as to slowly upgrade it. After replacing the parts, I’ve realized that my chain had a lot of sag and needed it to be replaced. The rest of my components besides my crankset and calipers are shimano 10 speed Tiagra/105 parts.

Would a 11 speed chain be compatible with 10 speed parts? My cassette, shifters, and derailleurs are 10 speed.
Old 04-23-21, 03:25 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Yes...I assume you ask because you have a new 11-speed chain that you could size and slap on to be on the road today, am I right? It will work just fine. Be forewarned, it MAY shift slightly slower going to a larger cog or from small to big chain ring. You may in reality not notice this.

You mentioned sag, did you change the gearing, and is your chain now just too long?
Old 04-23-21, 08:09 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I wondered if the replacement crankset had different, as in smaller, chainrings. If so then the old chain might have become "too large".

There's also the chance the chain has sagged right from the beginning but the OP's awareness only started when they did something to notice it. We see this human failing of observation when describing their bike's condition frequently. So many people think their problem came on suddenly when it was growing for a long time but they just noticed it when the problem became bad enough to "see" it. Andy
Old 04-23-21, 09:18 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Chains should be replaced at 1500-3000 mile intervals, depending on chain hygiene, riding style, and the chain itself. Given proper chain maintenance and replacement, you should wear out one cassette to every 2 or 3 chains. Given proper chain and cassette maintenance, chainrings should last a long long time. If not, well, replacement is inevitable and expensive.
Old 04-23-21, 11:24 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yuzu562
Hello everyone, Im fairly new when it comes to biking and it’s knowledge around parts and recently bought shimano 105 R7000 calipers and a crankset for my bike as to slowly upgrade it. After replacing the parts, I’ve realized that my chain had a lot of sag and needed it to be replaced. The rest of my components besides my crankset and calipers are shimano 10 speed Tiagra/105 parts.

Would a 11 speed chain be compatible with 10 speed parts? My cassette, shifters, and derailleurs are 10 speed.
I would probably stick with a 10 speed chain IMO - the cassette is designed for that width of chain and an 11 speed one might create shifting issues. The 11 speed crankset will have slightly narrower teeth, but I'd imagine it's very unlikely that your 10 speed chain would cause any issues with it.
Old 04-23-21, 12:07 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Yuzu562
I’ve realized that my chain had a lot of sag and needed it to be replaced. .
You might want to address the sag issue first. A new chain (of the same length) will not alleviate the sag. Can you post a pic of the sag.

It sounds like your chain is too long. You may want to resize the current chain to fit your drive train. You'll need a chain breaker and this video will help.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-length-sizing