Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dang youngsters get off my lawn !!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-23-21, 09:02 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts

I have a favorite 25 mile route I ride near Sacramento that is my “flying” ride. Nearly complete flat roads in excellent condition that allow me to just tuck down and move. I’m approaching 61 soon so I suppose the concept of speed is relative but I’m in good shape and holding 20mph on this ride (or a bit more) is within my capability.
So I’m flying along on my Colnago C40 feeling like a superhero when I hear a bike bell behind me and I’m thinking “did someone put a bell on their car?” 😃
Then about 8 “kids” pass me at a speed that stunned me, I looked like I was going backwards 🤣🤣 assuming I was doing between 20-22, they had to have been doing at least 28 if not more and they went off into the distance never letting up.

It was both depressing and impressive 🤣🤣
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-23-21, 09:30 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
They were kids, kids have energy. I was doing 21.8MPH (GPS) the other day and a large lady in her forties passed me on a fat tire bike. You think you feel bad? I yelled at her as she blew by "You're doing better than 22 MPH." She just looked over her shoulder and smiled. I may be 71, but I still consider myself in pretty decent shape (haha)
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-23-21, 09:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Ha... That's great... Kids on bicycles... Wow!

E-Bikes come to mind???
Old 07-23-21, 09:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Ha... That's great... Kids on bicycles... Wow!

E-Bikes come to mind???
I was feeling good and doing 25 on my ebike on a clear path only to get passed by two guys not evening looking like they were working hard. Hey lI could not even do that on my ebike.
Old 07-23-21, 10:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
the 2X champ of the TdF is 22.
Old 07-24-21, 03:16 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
From my view, not depressing at all. How many of those kids do you think will be doing that when they are in the early 60's? Getting passed by anybody bothers me not all these days. I am glad I am out there pedaling and can get passed. I will be 69 in about 2 weeks.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-24-21, 03:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,708 Times in 2,908 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
They were kids, kids have energy. I was doing 21.8MPH (GPS) the other day and a large lady in her forties passed me on a fat tire bike. You think you feel bad? I yelled at her as she blew by "You're doing better than 22 MPH." She just looked over her shoulder and smiled. I may be 71, but I still consider myself in pretty decent shape (haha)
Sounds like she was on an e-bike. Large ladies in their 40s on fat-bikes don’t casually blow by at 22 mph without a motor.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-24-21, 03:39 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I have a favorite 25 mile route I ride near Sacramento that is my “flying” ride. Nearly complete flat roads in excellent condition that allow me to just tuck down and move. I’m approaching 61 soon so I suppose the concept of speed is relative but I’m in good shape and holding 20mph on this ride (or a bit more) is within my capability.
So I’m flying along on my Colnago C40 feeling like a superhero when I hear a bike bell behind me and I’m thinking “did someone put a bell on their car?” 😃
Then about 8 “kids” pass me at a speed that stunned me, I looked like I was going backwards 🤣🤣 assuming I was doing between 20-22, they had to have been doing at least 28 if not more and they went off into the distance never letting up.

If they were riding in a pace line then they have a big aerodynamic advantage. Think of yourself as a lone breakaway rider getting sucked up by the peloton.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-24-21, 05:46 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Then about 8 “kids” pass me at a speed that stunned me, I looked like I was going backwards 🤣🤣 assuming I was doing between 20-22, they had to have been doing at least 28 if not more and they went off into the distance never letting up. It was both depressing and impressive 🤣🤣
Back in my early 20s, a buddy of mine (who was an amateur cycling racer at the time) went with me on a ~65mi out-and-back route. Mostly flat, very fast. We average 25mph for the loop, sometimes hitting much faster for spurts. Both of us were very fit in those years, particularly for running (in my case, though also with cycling in his case). I didn't walk easily for a couple of days. I figure our peak was 30mph+ for brief periods.

We passed loads of people who were going at a good clip, though most were just out for a Saturday jaunt in the sunshine. I'm sure there were a few "old fogies" we passed that grumbled (and were amazed), Tomm, just like you've described.

'Course, these days, I watch all of the "Speed Racer" types with a fond memory of what used to be. Couldn't go 25mph even if I were "falling" downhill, I suspect. Gettin' old sure is fun.
Old 07-24-21, 06:45 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
I suspect they will be posting similar comments when they hit 61--if they are still cycllng!
Old 07-24-21, 07:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Cyclists just riding around, especially 50+ types, getting depressed or upset because they were passed by anybody: Sad!
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-24-21, 09:18 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Cyclists just riding around, especially 50+ types, getting depressed or upset because they were passed by anybody: Sad!
Did the tongue-in-cheek humor of this post go over your head ?
Old 07-24-21, 09:48 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Old guys seem to be some of the most competitive cyclist but some of the worst losers. If I come up behind some cyclist on my fat e bike whom obviously puts in a burst of speed to stay ahead of me I will let them win and at the same time, help them get their exercise. I will back off enough to stay behind them at least 75 yards (m) and as much as 400 yards (m). When they hit a slight downhill they get ahead, when we hit an uphill I close to gap with a really fast cadence. If they get out of sight on a curve, I close the gap. Longest I have done that was about 30 miles. Some old guys on analog bikes are down right animals. The pace some of them can push for a long distance is down right impressive.
If they look like they are really getting haggard I will end their problem by passing with a cheerful note. I am out to help them get their exercise, not harm them.
Old 07-24-21, 09:52 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Just curious where this was. I know a lot of flat roads around here, but very few in excellent condition.
Old 07-24-21, 09:53 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by KPREN
Old guys seem to be some of the most competitive cyclist but some of the worst losers. If I come up behind some cyclist on my fat e bike whom obviously puts in a burst of speed to stay ahead of me I will let them win and at the same time, help them get their exercise. I will back off enough to stay behind them at least 75 yards (m) and as much as 400 yards (m). When they hit a slight downhill they get ahead, when we hit an uphill I close to gap with a really fast cadence. If they get out of sight on a curve, I close the gap. Longest I have done that was about 30 miles. Some old guys on analog bikes are down right animals. The pace some of them can push for a long distance is down right impressive.
If they look like they are really getting haggard I will end their problem by passing with a cheerful note. I am out to help them get their exercise, not harm them.
I think the humor in my post was lost on you as well…….
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-24-21, 09:56 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by caloso
Just curious where this was. I know a lot of flat roads around here, but very few in excellent condition.
Davis to Winters and return mostly on Putah Creek Rd. There is a very short section from Russell Ave to Putah Creek passing over “Graffiti Bridge” that’s not great but it’s not horrible. The rest of the ride is quite nice with lots of shoulder.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-24-21, 10:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Did the tongue-in-cheek humor of this post go over your head ?
No, your post sounded like the all too common posts of more than a few posters on this list who obsess over their speed and distance metrics, as well as brag/complain about their ability/inability to "drop" strangers.
Old 07-24-21, 10:08 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I think the humor in my post was lost on you as well…….
That makes two of us.
Old 07-24-21, 10:12 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by KPREN
LOL!

Funniest thing I’ve seen was one time when out mountain biking with our kids. We were riding casually up a long steep gravel path and a group of young guys appear out of nowhere and shoot past. So my 9 year old daughter decides to wind up her e-bike (which looks exactly like a regular hardtail) and blows past them all effortlessly. The look on their faces was priceless as they didn’t catch on and desperately tried to chase her down. But at around 8 W/kg they didn’t stand a chance. When she got to the top, she just turned around and came back down past them again.
Old 07-24-21, 10:30 AM
Tomm Willians

No, your post sounded like the all too common posts of more than a few posters on this list who obsess over their speed and distance metrics, as well as brag/complain about their ability/inability to "drop" strangers.
Right……. It went over your head
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-24-21, 10:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Right……. It went over your head
Posts about a cyclist's' "concerns" over being passed by strangers or ability to pass strangers are as humorous as cliched posts/memes about seniors shaking their fist at clouds or yelling at youngsters on the lawn; the cuteness wore off a long time ago, especially when the posts are from people who should know better than 9 year old children.
Old 07-24-21, 11:03 AM
Tomm Willians

Posts about a cyclist's' "concerns" over being passed by strangers or ability to pass strangers are as humorous as cliched posts/memes about seniors shaking their fist at clouds or yelling at youngsters on the lawn; the cuteness wore off a long time ago, especially when the posts are from people who should know better than 9 year old children.
It’s really a shame you seemingly have no concept of humor, I apologize for the trauma I’ve caused your sensitive disposition.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-24-21, 11:21 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sounds like she was on an e-bike. Large ladies in their 40s on fat-bikes don’t casually blow by at 22 mph without a motor.
Just make an announcement that Golden Corral is almost out of bacon wrapped sirloins.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-24-21, 01:02 PM
PeteHski

Those long winter nights must simply fly by in your house, 😂
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-24-21, 05:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Davis to Winters and return mostly on Putah Creek Rd. There is a very short section from Russell Ave to Putah Creek passing over “Graffiti Bridge” that’s not great but it’s not horrible. The rest of the ride is quite nice with lots of shoulder.
That one definitely ticks both boxes. One of my favorites. And you’ll definitely see riders of all ages, abilities, and speeds on that road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.