Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tadpole in Columbia SC??

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Tadpole in Columbia SC??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 09:20 PM
EchoOne
Activation Required

Bikes: Temporary walmart something

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Tadpole in Columbia SC??

Sooooo... I've wanted a recumbent tadpole trike since I first got into cycling in 2007. However, they were way out of my price range and I have been riding road bikes since.

I'm getting older (and most definitely feeling it), I don't have a car and do all my shopping and commuting by bicycle.

I now have the opportunity to buy an older (but well taken care of) Greenspeed gt3.

I have never ridden one and would like to try a trike (with indirect steering, doesn't have to be a Greenspeed). No bike shops in my area carry them, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone lives in Columbia and would let me try one.

Unfortunately, lots going against me here.

Columbia is not known for cyclists. I rarely see others riding (and have never seen a single recumbent). Also, I am very short (xseam= 38).

Wondering what my options are...

I have a lot of other life issues atm, so spending the money does scare me. But I'm experiencing a lot of pain and fatigue, can't ride more than 8 miles.

I feel it's a good choice because my understanding is that I can ride much further and carry more weight on a trike than over a road bike. Being able to ride 20-25 miles a day would give me better employment opportunities, better housing situation....

Am I just being overly optimistic?

Edit, add on.
Another option would be to convert my current road bike to e-assist....?

Last edited by EchoOne; 08-24-21 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Add on
Old 08-25-21, 08:20 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You can read some more about the GT3 here https://bicycleman.com/greenspeed-gt3-recumbent-trike/ It was their budget folding model so the components are lower than on my own 2001 GS GTO which I rode 29 K miles between 2004 and 2013 when I bought a Catrike 700. I'd suggest you ask for test rides at Bentrideronline. There are a many more trike riders who post there. GS made good trikes with lots of happy owners. What is the asking price for the GT3? A GTO similar to mine sold at Bentrider for $1,500 recently and it is a better trike than the GT3. GS trikes don't come up very often and sell pretty quickly when they do. One disadvantage of the GT3 is the 16" wheels. There are fewer choices for replacement tires than for 20" wheels.
Old 08-25-21, 08:45 AM
EchoOne
Activation Required

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
You can read some more about the GT3 here https://bicycleman.com/greenspeed-gt3-recumbent-trike/ It was their budget folding model so the components are lower than on my own 2001 GS GTO which I rode 29 K miles between 2004 and 2013 when I bought a Catrike 700. I'd suggest you ask for test rides at Bentrideronline. There are a many more trike riders who post there. GS made good trikes with lots of happy owners. What is the asking price for the GT3? A GTO similar to mine sold at Bentrider for $1,500 recently and it is a better trike than the GT3. GS trikes don't come up very often and sell pretty quickly when they do. One disadvantage of the GT3 is the 16" wheels. There are fewer choices for replacement tires than for 20" wheels.

It is 10 years old, very well taken care of and is being sold by a 'bent dealer of sorts (who has numerous excellent references) who refurbishes used 'bents of all types).
He is asking $1000. It has a very new looking seat cover, includes a rack and headrest and will have new tires and fitted to my xseam before broken down and shipped to me ($90, no charge for packing).

I did sign up on bentrider.com last night haven't posted there yet (I already had an account on this forum).
Old 08-25-21, 12:30 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The price listed on a recumbent dealer in 2012 was $3K so the asking price does not seem to be out of line. The OEM drive train components were entry level Shimano Sora but if it comes with the Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters those are 100 bucks alone. I like disc brakes and my GTO came with Hope C2 hydraulic disc brakes which were superb. Lots of people like the drum brakes on this trike. Overall it should be a fun trike to ride. Don't be surprised to find it more difficult to propel than a road bike at first. Recumbents use different muscles than a DF bike and the GT3 is no lightweight carbon fiber road bike. It is well worth the effort. I've been riding a recumbent trike since 2003 and my other bikes rarely get used.
Old 08-25-21, 01:29 PM
EchoOne
Activation Required

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The price listed on a recumbent dealer in 2012 was $3K so the asking price does not seem to be out of line. The OEM drive train components were entry level Shimano Sora but if it comes with the Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters those are 100 bucks alone. I like disc brakes and my GTO came with Hope C2 hydraulic disc brakes which were superb. Lots of people like the drum brakes on this trike. Overall it should be a fun trike to ride. Don't be surprised to find it more difficult to propel than a road bike at first. Recumbents use different muscles than a DF bike and the GT3 is no lightweight carbon fiber road bike. It is well worth the effort. I've been riding a recumbent trike since 2003 and my other bikes rarely get used.
I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist and advanced but "doesn't keep me awake at night" in my left. The df hurts to ride from my hands up my arms to my spine between my shoulder blades.
I commute to work as a waitress at a busy restaurant. I'm then on my feet 8 straight hours with no break. Then I usually do a bit of grocery shopping and need to eat before I ride slowly home. It's 60% uphill going home. It's also HOT and humid!Sure, a trike isn't going to help with being tired but if I need a break, I can just stop and lounge for a few (maybe even eat while riding so I can get home a little sooner). It isn't going to help with the heat but I can wear something more comfortable (I wear short/jersey kit).
My biggest concern is traffic. There are few cyclists around, drivers are pretty clueless here (I've lived/ridden in many areas of the US). With the exception of dt Charleston, SC is IMHO the least bicycle friendly state I've ever ridden in!
I am also considering a scooter but that removes the fitness aspect and I know myself well enough I'm not going to get on my df with any regularity.

Still waiting for bentrider.com to approve my membership.