Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Jones Beach weather

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 02:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Jones Beach weather

As we all know the weather, specifically the wind and direction at Jones Beach is very different than the weather at Cedar Creek.

I found a weather station located at the main mall at the southern end of the Wantagh parkway.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYWANTA21

Now you won't be surprised when you get down there.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-25-21, 03:31 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Good find! Mrs & myself went for a walk at West End last week, on an evening with a wind from the N, and were swarmed by absurd numbers of mosquitos, presumably from the salt mashes. We actually cut it short because of it. Yesterday wind was pretty much straight from the W and we saw few in 4 miles of walking.
Old 09-26-21, 06:58 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Just an example, right now in Massapequa the wind is 1.1/4.5mph NNW, at Jones Beach its 12/17mph E

Quite the difference.
Old 09-26-21, 07:38 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Its what helps to make up for the lack of hills, kinda like a 14 mile moderate downhill followed by a 14 mile small incline grind. Always amazed when leaving Jones Beach for Captree how easy the wind makes that small initial uphill, just blasting up at 22mph and how slow it can be to ride down and often trying to coast it just slows you to nothing.
Old 09-27-21, 04:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
One of the best rides I ever did started in Long Beach and went through Atlantic Beach and the length of Rockaway back to Brooklyn. It was a light breeze when I left my house in Brooklyn, eating outside at the diner in Long Beach was harder because the breeze had kicked up. My sister was here from Mass. and we were going out to meet our step mother in LB, so she drove and I threw my bike in the back. Well the breeze at the diner turned into a 20-25mph East wind along the shore on the boardwalks and roads and I flew back to Brooklyn. It was early fall so the boardwalks were pretty empty too. It was a fun ride because it was one-way.

I did the Captree to Jones and back ride this summer on a day that was just too hot, and had the wind at my side both directions. It was not much fun. I had to stop along the way at Gilgo to get some sunscreen because I felt like I was getting fried. The park ranger (or whatever he was) was kind enough to get me his own spray on bottle.