Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever get that feeling a bit into a ride like your tires are flat?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-27-21, 06:25 PM
psystemupdate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

what does that? what makes it feel like your tires are down 20 psi each? is it lactic acid? i feel like i have plenty of energy to continue, but it just feels like tires are lower.
Likes For psystemupdate:
Old 10-27-21, 06:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
i usually get that feeling when i weigh in on the scale. oooooooooophf
Old 10-27-21, 06:50 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Chipseal will do that to me.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-27-21, 06:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've ridden tire/wet dirt surface combos that felt like fly paper. I've felt like I had no strength. I've felt strong only to get my doors blown off by a rider one wouldn't categorize as strong or fast. I've felt so fast that I thought my tires would burst into flames. have an off day? don't sweat it. cuz on another day, you'll feel the opposite. like days where time goes slowly & other days fly by

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-28-21 at 04:03 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-27-21, 07:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
sometimes if I am in the mood, I'll wear the hrm band & take note of its data. Most if not all rides are reasoned with that data.
Old 10-27-21, 07:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Generally only happens to me on hills.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-27-21, 07:08 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
False flats are mind killers.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-27-21, 07:12 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
I have.

What always get me is I'll hear a "plink" or a "clunk" or some "tink-tink" like a piece of metal fell off or run over & I'll have to stop & check that there's nothing wrong with my bike.

Call me crazy, but FWIW I've never lost a part of my bike while riding.

(I've always found it & picked it up. )

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-27-21, 07:21 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I had 4 flats in 5 rides just a few weeks ago, always the rear tire and ever since I keep feeling the rear tire go squiggly and have to crane my head around to see if it's low or flat again. Thankfully, it never is (yet) but I probably just jinxed myself.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-27-21, 09:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
It only happens once every 7 years on a Thursday. Must be planetary misalignment or something I ate.

This happens to everyone - could be fatigue, low blood sugar, a persistent head wind or combination of things or manopause.

Old 10-27-21, 10:06 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It only happens once every 7 years on a Thursday. Must be planetary misalignment or something I ate.

This happens to everyone - could be fatigue, low blood sugar, a persistent head wind or combination of things or manopause.
A pause would have been welcome but continually getting older, now that's an issue!
Likes For kahn:
Old 10-27-21, 10:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
There's a section of a state road I ride several times a year that looks like it's evenly paved, but somehow has a wear pattern on the surface that makes the rear wheel vibrate just like you were riding on a flat. Every time I ride that, I either crane my neck to check the tire or actually hop off my bike. I'm kind of embarrassed by how many times I've fallen for this.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-21, 12:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, sure. Sometimes it's just dead legs. Sometimes a change in pavement composition. Sometimes it is the tires or tubes.

To me, striated concrete is the worst because it seems like it should feel smooth, but it drags without feeling particularly bumpy. We have lots of chipseal, getting coarser all the time. I expect that stuff to feel sluggish. But some of our new roads were prepped with striated concrete in anticipation of finishing with good ol' smooth blacktop, but it never happened -- economic downturns, a proposed development fell through, the pandemic slowed down lots of infrastructure maintenance, etc.

On our open rolling prairie, sometimes the wind can be tricky. I've ridden on days that seemed still but felt definite buffeting of the wheels, like a crosswind. Once when I stopped to check the wheel, I felt a distinct breeze below my knee. The wind was following the pavement along this rural highway on open prairie, but only a few inches high from pavement level. Weirdest damned thing, and I've noticed it often during spring and autumn when the pavement stays warm longer from daytime sun, while the ambient air chills rapidly near dusk. Creates some interesting wind conditions. A couple of years ago I switched to ankle socks and can usually feel it while riding.

And with latex tubes sometimes it's just under pressure. I usually don't forget to top up since latex tubes lose 10-20 psi a day. But I recently tried some narrow 700x19-23 Vittoria latex tubes, and that pressure loss is more noticeable than with the wider 700x25-30 latex tubes I'd been using for a year.

With butyl tubes I'll sometimes cheat and just pinch the sidewalls to guestimate pressure. Usually good enough.

Sometimes it's the tires. Check the rolling resistance review site. Some tires retain reasonably low rolling resistance anywhere from maximum pressure down to 60 psi (such as Continental Ultra Sport II and older Ultra Race -- both have reasonably low rolling resistance and don't get much worse at lower pressures). Others show significantly worse rolling resistance only 10-20 psi below max pressure and feel sluggish (Vittoria Zaffiros are reasonably fast rolling at max pressure but harsh, and sluggish at lower pressures).
Old 10-28-21, 04:30 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Sometimes it's the tires, sometimes the weed, sometimes the grade, and two weeks ago the front started bottoming out. So I walked home, not too far, luckily, and with flat-soled shoes.
Old 10-28-21, 05:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
It's probably a feature of the bike. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...yone-else-got-kent-nazz-700c-gravel-bike.html
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-28-21, 05:30 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Yes but then I go home and check them and find them down 20 psi.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 10-28-21, 05:31 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
One thing (in addition to what others mentioned, especially tar and chip/chip seal) that always causes me to think I've got a flat or leak is seeing my speed drop on my Wahoo Bolt when the elevation or wind hasn't seemed to change. Similar to putting black tape over the Check Engine light in my car, on long rides I try to mostly ride with just the map view showing and not speed or distance data - seems to minimize imaginary rear flats/leaks or the other phantom - imaginary brake rubbings...
Old 10-28-21, 05:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Flat tire feeling, or one of the brakes is dragging.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-28-21, 07:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by psystemupdate
what does that? what makes it feel like your tires are down 20 psi each? is it lactic acid?
One word: "headwind"
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-28-21, 11:25 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
In the Cambridge, Paris, St. George area of South Ontario, Canada, there's a road, Blue Lake Road that ends at East River Road. When you turn right onto Est River Road from Blue Lake Road you're often positive that you've flatted or have a slow leak in a tire. I rode that route one year during the recreational ride "Tour de Grand (definitely NOT a race) and stopped on East River Road just after turning onto it. I was positive I have a flat. It turns out that it's the type of road surface asphalt pus the uphill grade. Now when I ride that route with a group on that Tour I tell people who slow down after getting onto East River Road to keep going that they don't have a flat.

Some paved road surfaces really do make you feel like you have a flat of very low air pressure when you first get onto them.

Cheers
Old 10-28-21, 09:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-28-21, 10:14 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Not as a fatigue thing, but after getting a rash of flats, I often feel like I'm kind of "bouncy" on the saddle and I find I'm trying to force weight on the saddle to confirm. I try to convince myself, "no it isn't a problem" when in the back of mind I'm getting ready to find a good place to stop and pull the spare tube. It's worse on tubs, as I am hoping a shot of sealant will get me home (but TBH, flats on tubs are rare for me).

scott s.
Old 10-29-21, 09:07 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I've found that this phenomenon pretty much disappeared entirely once I got a power meter.
Old 10-29-21, 10:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
LMAO! Good one

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-30-21, 12:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
It tends to go like this:

1- Keep pushing the downshift lever hoping that there is one more lower gear that I forgot about (there isn’t).

2- Look down to see if my tire is going flat (it isn’t)

3- Accept that I am just slow right now.
Likes For Kapusta:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.