Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

'Free E-Bikes for Everyone!' so Jay Caspian Kang writes in today's 'New York Times'

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

'Free E-Bikes for Everyone!' so Jay Caspian Kang writes in today's 'New York Times'

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 10:27 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

'We're in the middle of a climate crisis. We need big ideas.'
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/22/o...s-climate.html
You can right-click on the link, save the file, read the local copy. He describes Luud Schimmelpennink's 'White Bicycle Plan': free bicycles in Netherlands in 1965 - new to me.
Old 11-23-21, 07:48 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
That's putting the horse before the infrastructure..

In one study, only 10% of people were willing to ride a bike the way things are. To get most riding, we've got to make like the Netherlands.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to get a better ebike, and love the idea of a generous rebate to help make it happen. But where we should prob put our effort is in a carrot and stick approach to cycling infrastructure.
Likes For late:
Old 11-23-21, 10:24 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by late
That's putting the horse before the infrastructure..

In one study, only 10% of people were willing to ride a bike the way things are. To get most riding, we've got to make like the Netherlands.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to get a better ebike, and love the idea of a generous rebate to help make it happen. But where we should prob put our effort is in a carrot and stick approach to cycling infrastructure.
Yeah. Those of us who were already riding bikes and switched to e-bikes or added e-bikes are fine with it. But getting those non-riders on bikes requires some changes. Now where I live Covid has put a LOT of people out of bikes that were not out
there before. Families getting exercise, and people who no longer want to be on public transit using e-bikes to get around. So in a weird way, something good has come from Covid - more folks on bikes. Unfortunately, many don't understand bike
etiquette and are giving cyclists an even worse reputation unintentionally. So there's that. But to really make a massive change we need to create safer places to ride, safer routes to work centers, because that's what will ensure people making that change.
Likes For linberl: