Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Part B appreciate the answers to my how often do you stop thread,how about how fast.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Part B appreciate the answers to my how often do you stop thread,how about how fast.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 03:10 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Depends on the bike, the route, the weather the wind, whether I'm with my friend or riding alone. Overall average is around 10 mph. Faster on the road bike and pavement, slower if dealing with in town traffic and signals. Slower on gravel and two track. Slower if riding the gravel bike or a mountain bike. I don't worry about it.
Old 10-24-21, 07:28 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well... I'm with everyone else it's not a quantifiable stat for the most part. Too many variables. I will say that year in and year out since I started keeping stats my annual avg speed from all that year's ride has always been somewhere in the 17 mph range.

Now for silly fun this year I've been trying to run each of my 20+ road bikes at an average speed of 19 mph for my base 24-30 mile daily route. I've managed it so far with 19 of the bikes, 3 more to get there with if the bad weather will ever stop.

Thread on this silly game here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pace-game.html

Now speed based reality for me is that I've only have one ride this year where I've hit a 20 mph avg. Normally I have several of those a year so to me this says I'm slowing down. Riding the same route so much year in and year out means avg speed is an indicator to me about me but nothing more. You get a feel for how the wind and conditions are affecting you on the route as well as knowing what you should be able to to under a given condition such as winds and temperature and such. But it still isn't some comparable to any other rider unless your riding side by side or such.
Old 10-25-21, 08:01 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I no longer concern myself with average speed. My riding speed fluctuates a lot these days. I usually just ride at the pace I feel good doing at the time. I do occasionally kick it up to fast pace almost every ride. I will sometimes, when going for shorter rides, purposely push the pace for the entire ride and look at the average speed, but that is just curiosity.
Old 10-26-21, 08:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
At 66 and being somewhat competitive, I tend to push myself but do stop to take pictures of nature and oddities to post on Strava and here. Reviewing my data for the last 3 months, I did a relatively flat 40 mile ride while pushing at 18.8. My hilly routes, between 1200 and 2000’ of climbing bring the average down to 15-16 MPH. Recovery/spinning rides on the flats after hard days are still in the 15-16 range.

On flats I try to ride about 18 MPH with no wind. Some day I might back off and just ignore speed altogether but after getting back into cycling after a several year hiatus, its interesting to learn about my capabilities. Speaking of which, in November I plan to take my first cycling fitness program on Zwift to see if I can improve endurance.

Old 11-01-21, 07:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Honestly, I don’t even have speed on my computer main display. If it’s a workout, I am looking at power numbers. If it’s a race, there are so many factors that it’s not even useful information. If it’s a group ride, I’m just doing the group speed. If it’s a commute, my speed is mostly determined by traffic lights.
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-06-21, 01:47 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Saturday I rode 146 miles. It took almost 14 hours, so that's technically slow AF. At the other end of the distance spectrum, when I race CX, my goal is to be not last in the 60-64 age group. Also technically slow AF.

A couple decades ago, an older friend of mine literally hung up his cleats when he couldn't hang with the A group any more. I guess his ego couldn't take it. Not me; I just love riding my bike.
That is a key reason given for riders switching to a Class III e-bike. The motor assist allows them to go 3-4 mph faster and to be able to keep up with younger riders.
Old 11-08-21, 07:29 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
[edit: see below]

Last edited by Bob Ross; 12-04-21 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 12-03-21, 09:15 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
This thread reminds me of my two favorite aphorisms about road cycling, one of which is admittedly a bit snarky, and the other which is imho one of the most beautiful statements ever made on the topic:

- "Average Speed is for average people."

- "The thing that makes someone an 'A rider' isn't how fast they can go or how far they can go; what makes someone an 'A rider' is the ability to ride fast and far gracefully."
Old 12-04-21, 07:12 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
LOL, well I can tell I'd be looking at EVERYONE's back, infact I'd have to be the SWEEP rider with 99.8% of this group of riders!!! I ride with my wife, JoLynn and she can ride for many hours but it's usually at a 5-8 mph pace so that's what I set unless there's a LOT of steep uphill grades, then since I ride a bike and she rides a trike I have to speed up not to fall over or have to push!! Wave as you fly by and have a great ride!

Old 12-04-21, 08:05 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
My younger son is a natural athlete, but I am quite the opposite (a total klutz, to be precise), so he must have inherited it from my amateur ballerina wife.

As I have written in the past, bicycling was the first sport that grabbed my interest and motived me to get into some semblance of physical condition, but even in my early 20s, I was far from being "race material." I have never been a particularly fast rider, and I probably average around 15mph now. When I was 22, I could maintain a pace of 16-17mph for 200 miles, but I no longer have that kind of endurance, at least at that speed, which feels like a stretch now, instead of the "all day pace" it was back then.

I am thankful I can still enjoy bicycling for exercise, recreation, and transportation, and I owe my generally excellent physical health to bicycling, as well as walking/jogging, diet, and modest weight training.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-04-21, 02:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
This past Nov I joined a bunch of youngsters (30-40 somethings) in a climbing challenge on Strava. The challenge was to do 50,000’ for November. I knew I had zero chance of hitting the goal, but it was fun participating and encouraging and being encouraged to do our best. I felt like the grandpa, since I have a 40 YO son. Three youngsters hit 60,000 in their testosterone-fest but the majority of people had less than half of that, including myself. What I did gain, was good a group of new enthusiast friends (we are going out for beer on the 7th) and as a result of my effort became a better climber and learned to pace myself rather than attack and being spent at the top. Also learned that any long grades over 10% take the joy out of climbing.

Would I do it again? Sure but never in the rainiest month or during the winter months, since indoor trainers were out. My take away is that being challenged worked for me, perhaps not for you, since anywhere I ride around here involves climbing - and to be better makes cycling more enjoyable.