Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bikesdirect.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-21, 08:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t think there was ever a BD purchase.

John
The OP gave a detailed assessment of the purchase.
...or are you saying the initial post is a lie?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-30-21, 08:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I always love it when someone creates a bf account just to make a *****y post about something (a shop, bike brand, or website) and then never come back. That's a classy move, and really exemplifies what it means to be part of a community.
Old 12-30-21, 08:37 PM
Privolous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I always love it when someone creates a bf account just to make a *****y post about something (a shop, bike brand, or website) and then never come back. That's a classy move, and really exemplifies what it means to be part of a community.
they use gmail for their warranty contact instead of a email account from their website. Keep digging on this company
Old 12-30-21, 08:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No clue, and the OP isn’t saying much these days.

But when I buy something, especially if I need to spend time on it, I’m pretty well versed on my purchase.

I also tend to do research before I buy and not after.

The review just sounded more like typical stuff off google.

John
Old 01-02-22, 01:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's not much worse than the ones who join just to ask a question, then disappear. The complaint, "I just bought a discount bike and didn't get premier service" isn't going to elicit much sympathy.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-02-22, 04:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah. That would be a first for BF.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-04-22, 10:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have found over the years that the relative value of BD bikes has diminished. I first bought from them probably 12 years ago. I have ordered several bikes from them and have helped other people who have ordered from them assemble them. Used to be that some of their deals were clearly a comparative value. Lately it seems that there is little advantage to ordering BD.
Old 01-04-22, 11:54 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
pay peanuts, work with monkeys.
Old 01-04-22, 12:11 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Agreed! I call them "One Post Wonders".
Old 01-04-22, 12:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I e-mailed BD to complain that one bike was missing its head tube decal and received the reply that "it was left off to save weight."
That made reading this whole thread entirely worth it. Thank you!!!
Old 01-04-22, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have found over the years that the relative value of BD bikes has diminished. I first bought from them probably 12 years ago. I have ordered several bikes from them and have helped other people who have ordered from them assemble them. Used to be that some of their deals were clearly a comparative value. Lately it seems that there is little advantage to ordering BD.
Is it a matter of the competitors getting better or BD getting worse or some combination of both? Serious question, I think you have a really interesting perspective on this.
Old 01-04-22, 04:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is it a matter of the competitors getting better or BD getting worse or some combination of both? Serious question, I think you have a really interesting perspective on this.
I can't say for certain, though it seems like Bikes Direct has elevated their prices while lowering their spec. Back then I'd look at one of their bikes and think comparatively it was a heck of deal. Now when I pick one of their bikes and compare it to what's out there, I think "why bother?"
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-04-22, 04:59 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I hate it when the tire need truing.
Old 01-04-22, 05:42 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
or when the chain needs greasing.
Old 01-04-22, 06:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Or when the true are tiring.
Old 01-04-22, 08:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I can't say for certain, though it seems like Bikes Direct has elevated their prices while lowering their spec. Back then I'd look at one of their bikes and think comparatively it was a heck of deal. Now when I pick one of their bikes and compare it to what's out there, I think "why bother?"
I think Paul hit the nail on the head. When I first heard of BD, their prices would be many hundreds to sometimes a grand less than comparable name brand bikes, making it well worth the $100-150 you would pay a shop to assemble it and scoff at you. Now you're just saving a few hundred at most, which barely covers the cost of assembly and leaves you with a bike that is usually a little heavier, a little uglier, a little less hi tech, and has a much lower resale value.
Old 01-05-22, 07:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I think Paul hit the nail on the head. When I first heard of BD, their prices would be many hundreds to sometimes a grand less than comparable name brand bikes, making it well worth the $100-150 you would pay a shop to assemble it and scoff at you. Now you're just saving a few hundred at most, which barely covers the cost of assembly and leaves you with a bike that is usually a little heavier, a little uglier, a little less hi tech, and has a much lower resale value.

That's interesting. I suspect what may have happened is the drop ship method allowed them to get around Shimano's US pricing structures which, let's face it, are a huge determinant of the price of a complete bicycle. My suspicion, based entirely on my own speculation for whatever that's worth, is that Shimano was able to counter this "loophole" in some way, closing the gap in price between the similar spec bikes. Does that make sense?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-05-22, 08:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That's interesting. I suspect what may have happened is the drop ship method allowed them to get around Shimano's US pricing structures which, let's face it, are a huge determinant of the price of a complete bicycle. My suspicion, based entirely on my own speculation for whatever that's worth, is that Shimano was able to counter this "loophole" in some way, closing the gap in price between the similar spec bikes. Does that make sense?
That does make sense. All I know is it priced me out of getting a BD bike.
Old 01-05-22, 11:32 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Yea I went full karen on Panracer and Schwalbe for just this reason recently
Old 01-05-22, 02:55 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I was curious about this claim, so I looked at the BD road bike that's closest to my preference, which is a 22-speed aluminum frame/carbon fork/105 derailleurs and shift-brake levers, and wheels and other components of comparable level (don't care what they are specifically, including the wheels). BD's bike is the Vent Noir, and it ticks all those boxes. $999. Specialized (the only major brand I felt like looking up) has the Allez Elite, an SRAM-equipped bike with mostly Specialized generic components, for $1,700.

The Motobecane comes in 9 sizes, the Specialized in 7 sizes. They're both handsome machines, unless you can't stand the idea of riding around on a bike with Motobecane decals, even if it saves you $700. Me, I've owned many of the very best high-end Italian, French, English, and American bikes over the last 50 years, but I've been happy with my Motobecane Le Champion since I bought it from BD in 2005.
Old 01-05-22, 04:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I was curious about this claim, so I looked at the BD road bike that's closest to my preference, which is a 22-speed aluminum frame/carbon fork/105 derailleurs and shift-brake levers, and wheels and other components of comparable level (don't care what they are specifically, including the wheels). BD's bike is the Vent Noir, and it ticks all those boxes. $999. Specialized (the only major brand I felt like looking up) has the Allez Elite, an SRAM-equipped bike with mostly Specialized generic components, for $1,700.

The Motobecane comes in 9 sizes, the Specialized in 7 sizes. They're both handsome machines, unless you can't stand the idea of riding around on a bike with Motobecane decals, even if it saves you $700. Me, I've owned many of the very best high-end Italian, French, English, and American bikes over the last 50 years, but I've been happy with my Motobecane Le Champion since I bought it from BD in 2005.
I stand corrected. Even looked up the Immortal Force, a carbon frame with Ultegra for $1900.

As for the decals, apparently there are some people who get upset if it’s missing one.
Old 01-05-22, 04:49 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

If even the name brand frames are made in Taiwan or PRC any way?.?.

Reminds me of Gucci and Versace knock offs getting intercepted by CBP. When you understand that the real thing is manufactured by underpaid illegal immigrants of Chinese descent, do you really care if others rip off the manufactured desire?

I don’t.

But sure is good to see CBP keeping us safe.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-07-22, 06:45 PM
Stephen Howe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vent Noir is now available and in stock for $999. Great deal: aluminum frame, Shimano 105 shifters and derailleurs, FSA crankset and bottom bracket, Shimano wheels.
Immortal Spirit price was just reduced by $300,to $1,299! I don't like that because I paid $1,599 two months ago! (I was desperate because my old aluminum bike frame cracked in December.) My loss is your gain! Also, the wheels are cheap (JTech hubs), I sold those without even trying them. Maybe I don't understand a JTech hub, but the big rubber grommets they have covering the cones seem problematical; they crack, they may cause drag and you can't get replacements. Maybe you could just throw away the grommets, but does that expose the bearings to the elements? What am I missing? Otherwise I really like it.
Old 04-07-22, 10:38 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Wait, what!? We have a Lurker Award contender here. Stephen joined then waited over 15 ½ years before making his first post. That’s gotta be a record.

Otherwise I got nothin’.

Edited to add: Mad password management skills, as I definitely wouldn’t be able to recall mine after 15 weeks.

Last edited by Kedosto; 04-07-22 at 10:43 PM.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-07-22, 10:58 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen Howe
Vent Noir is now available and in stock for $999. Great deal: aluminum frame, Shimano 105 shifters and derailleurs, FSA crankset and bottom bracket, Shimano wheels.
Immortal Spirit price was just reduced by $300,to $1,299! I don't like that because I paid $1,599 two months ago! …….,,..Also, the wheels are cheap (JTech hubs)?…… What am I missing? Otherwise I really like it.
Thats really BD’s design/pricing model; You get 105 for the big stuff like derailleurs and controls, but the frame and finishing kit is more like what you’d find on a Sora bike. Not bad, but not as nice as a 105 bike from a major brand.

As to price drops, they often do that after they sell out of the popular sizes of a certain model to make room for the next shipment. You may see that the bike you bought a couple months ago is now 25% off, but they’ve only got 47cm XS, and 61cm XXL to pick from.
Likes For Ironfish653:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.